Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CAPsMAN and different protocol networks

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 pm

How can I have mixed WiFi protocols on on the same CapsMan profile?

I have several APs with 2 Ghz N standard, but would need to add one access point with 5Ghz for one connection. How to do that? I see I can select only one channel per configuration, and no way to select one for mixed AP network.

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CAPsMAN and different protocol networks

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:59 am

Make 2 configurations (2.4 and 5GHz) for 2 provisioning rules with different hw-supported-modes=

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 am

Just to check; I make two configurations with same settings, one for 2Ghz and one for 5GHz?
(Maybe it is a stupid Q, but should I apply those manually, or it will work automatically?)

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CAPsMAN and different protocol networks  [SOLVED]

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm

1) The Band/Frequency will be different in both configurations
2) The Hw. Supported Modes (you can use gn for 2.4GHz or ac for 5GHz) and Master Configuration will be different in both provisionings
Based on those provisioning rules will CAPsMAN send correct configuration to CAP interface.

Example:
/caps-man configuration
add channel.band=2ghz-onlyn channel.extension-channel=disabled country="czech republic" datapath.client-to-client-forwarding=yes datapath.local-forwarding=no distance=indoors guard-interval=any hide-ssid=no installation=indoor mode=ap name=CAP-WiFi-2.4
add channel.band=5ghz-onlyac channel.extension-channel=XX channel.skip-dfs-channels=yes country="czech republic" datapath.client-to-client-forwarding=yes datapath.local-forwarding=no distance=indoors guard-interval=any hide-ssid=no installation=indoor mode=ap name=CAP-WiFi-5

/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=gn master-configuration=CAP-WiFi-2.4 name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=CAP-2.4GHz
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=ac master-configuration=CAP-WiFi-5 name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=CAP-5GHz
This file should answer your questions about CAPsMAN Dual Band CAP, see page page 37+:
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/BR14/Uldis.pdf
(little outdated, November 2014, but still nice explaining)

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Interesting that filtering is done on HW support, and not on other factors. I expected more filtering on function than on actual hardware.

Also, you specify GN protocols - do I really need to have G enabled at all? That is ages old now.

Thanks.