Community discussions

MikroTik App

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Selection guide for PtP links Ranges?

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:24 pm

Basic question, are the max ranges shown useful in determining feasibility for a ptp link between like devices?
For example, the SXTLite5 ac shows max range of 1.5km for AC and 4km for BGN as max ranges.
Can I assume that I will get rock solid connection up to those distance with like units in a point to point?

In other words am I using the chart in the right way?

Second question. Which devices are easiest to aim if all else being equal, the only factor to consider was an efficient effective setup?
Think one site fixed and one temporary that has to be used 3-4 times per year. Pole available but need to attach clamp etc and antenna and aim.
Which device(s) are easy to use, can quickly get a reasonably accurate aim to the fixed site, and have an easy way to know if your on the right track?

Third question. Can you mix and match device types , in other words maximize the advantages of one antenna best suited for a secure fixed site and then dealing with a temp site, as noted above, easy to aim and setup to the fixed site?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Selection guide for PtP links Ranges?

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 pm

Max range would be in test conditions.

Max range can be affected by weather, noise floor, line of sight, your countries EIRP etc etc. I would not want to be trying to push the max distance of items.

You can mix and match, you just may end up with better signal one way then the other.

Sometimes bigger 'dishes' can be easier to point than SXT's, but SXT's are obviously a lot more compact.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:39 am

I was hoping for some practical advice. :-(

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:42 am

I answered your questions - how could I give you any more advice without knowing the link requirements and specifics - in which case we'd be at a point of billing you for my consulting time if you want me to design your whole link.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:13 am

You really didn't answer a single question or provide any information I didn't already know.
Your post was nothing more than spam. I will move onto another vendor for wifi links over distance.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 am

You really didn't answer a single question or provide any information I didn't already know.
Your post was nothing more than spam. I will move onto another vendor for wifi links over distance.
You need to be more specific to get an specific answer!

- needed speed of the link
- distance
- line of sight
- Allowed Eirp

Without these thinks you can’t get an real answer, nowhere!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:24 pm

You need to be more specific to get an specific answer!

- needed speed of the link
I am connecting a laptop from remote site (over a proposed wifi link) to a switch which is connected to another laptop (think skype) and to the internet (upload results from race to website via plugin api) where the fixed finish line site exists in a tower. Basically text chat, perhaps share jpeg, and add times into a spreadsheet etc......
(very small data points really).

- distance: 2km
- line of sight Yes, aprox 200 feet up at fixed site, lets say 15 feet above ground at temp site.
- Allowed Eirp - No idea, whatever Canada allows?

Without these thinks you can’t get an real answer, nowhere!
Overall, ease of setup is more important than throughput as long as throughput we do get is stable. I read for example the LH60 long thread and the idea of using that equipment with one end being temporary and having to align it with a fixed site seems daunting. There has to be easier kit or kit that has decent helper tools for a reasonable alignment in a reasonable amount of time. Think, it may be a different person setting it up, they have the pole the proper clamps (with adjustment ticks) and a paper instruction and talking to them from cell phone at fixed site.

PS thanks for the advice!

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Actually the chart shows the range for the which the max data-rate can be obtained. The fading red line is the maximum distance for the lowest data-rate.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi 2 frogs, yes that was my starting point but often charts dont express real world experiences ;-)
In addition I am willing to mix and match devices to get results meaning, its more important to get a setup where the temporary antenna is easy to align with the fixed site.
I should add the distance is now reduced to approx 1200m.

For instances
highpower fixed - highpower temp (hard to aim temp) (10,100, 1000)
highpower fixed - mediumpower temp (ave difficulty to aim temp) (10,100,1000)
highpower fixed - lowpower temp (easy to aim temp) (10,100)

medpwer - medpwr temp (easy to aim temp) (10,100,1000)
medpwer - lowpwer temp (easy to aim temp) 10,100)

lowpwr - lowpwer temp (easy to aim temp) (10/100)

Conclusion: I would probably procure the medpwer to medpwr solution.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From recent 60Hz results, it would be a no brainer in terms of throughput and lack of interference and I could host a local AP at the temp site if necessary.
However the aim and alignment setup scares the beejezus out of me. :-)

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:17 am

I would look more at a PtMP antenna for your fixed site. That would make aiming only critical from the temporary location. Especially if the location could change each time.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:26 am

Thats a very interesting proposal.
If I had to make a guess my vertical is not as critical then as horizontal.
I am guessing here wildly but the angle of difference from one possible location to another would be approx 20degrees.
So I would need a fixed ptp that I could ratchet left or right,.

OR perhaps a pt2mpt atenna? How is a mtp antenna design configured in terms of coverage and beam pattern?
Is there a beam width or pattern chart for MT antennas?

Joni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:28 pm