Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Realistic WiFi N speeds

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:05 am

Just to check; I use RB2011 in N mode 2.4 ghz for home networking, and get about 10-11 MBps on my N mac. Is that OK speed?
Is there Mtik router that can provide higher speed on N band?

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Realistic WiFi N speeds

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:51 am

I don't have wifi version of RB2011 available but RBD52G got me average 74Mbit on 20Mhz and average 140Mbit on 20/40MHz
Particular wifi configs for reference:
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn disabled=no frequency-mode=superchannel mode=ap-bridge \
    security-profile="no pass" ssid=TEST-PAVEL-HAP wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no frequency-mode=superchannel mode=ap-bridge \
    security-profile="no pass" ssid=TEST-PAVEL-HAP wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled
(might be bit better, there is one -70dBm radio interfering on the same frequency)

10Mbit is definitely not right but it might be hard to find the reason. Most typical issue is some interference (including typical wireless mouse/keyboard, bluetooth speakers, microwave, neighbors ...)

edit: OHHHH! I misread your "10-11 MBps" because link speed is rarely defined in megabytes. I thought you wrote Mbps! Sorry, my bad... If you really get 10 MegaByte per second, I would guess it is about right.

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:58 am

Yes, it is 10-11 megabytes per sec :-)

I was thinking that I could increase that for about 30-40 with hAP AC, as it has three chains vs 2 on RB2011.

I am not sure if I should turn on 5GHz - did you measure that option reliably increase speed? From whatever I read, I will loose range with 5GHz.

EDIT: I just olayed a bit with it, and I don't see any increase in transfer speed turning on 20/40 frequency. Maybe I get a bit more jumps to 14 MB/s, but whne it drops back down to 10-11 when I copy a movie from NAS. MT registers some 80-90Mbits throughput.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 am

sorry, I can't test hAP AC either :(

Few points:
1) do not expect some magical increase of speed when going from 2 to 3 chains. Especially when most of devices (phones, laptops etc) have just 2 chains.
2) It is true that 5GHz has much higher attenuation than 2GHz so it will give you less range (do not expect much signal behind a brick wall) but you can combine them and use 2 and 5GHz at the same time. Your devices can then either freely roam between bands or you can select whichever suits you best.

With 5GHz (AC - 20/40/80MHz), I can get average 280Mbit (~35MBps) which isn't much, but keep in mind thats RBD52G we are talking about - it is based on ARM and there is known issue with speed which might be fixed in upcoming releases. (although my current experience with 6.44rc4 does not show any improvement)

I am unsure whether RB962G (hAP AC) would perform significantly better. Maybe someone else can test share own observation :)

edit: difference between 20 vs 20/40 can be positive but also negative! it all depends on interference from other network and devices. If you have full 40MHz of free radio spectrum, it should increase your speeds. however, if there is lot of interference, it is actually better to use just 20MHz to avoid constant re-transmission (thus slowdowns) on extension channel. Similarly, choice of the channel is also crucial for achieving good speed.

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:44 am

Apple notebooks usually have great WiFi capabilities. Mine has three chains, and hAP ac is also three chain device.

As per mikrotik site on 2.4 Ghz

2011 gives 300 Mbits
hAP ac give 450 Mbits

I get some 80 Mbit/s now, so with another chain I would bump that to 120, which seems reasonable, and is also fast.

I would get a/ac triple chain 5Ghz too. I suppose I could expect some 400-500 mbit/s practically?

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm

UPDATE:

I tested hAP ac with my Mac, and there is indeed a speed increase. In that router I get 14-15 MB/s normally, with some jumps to 19 MB/s.

I get 120 Mbit/s, transfer speeds, which is in line with one additional chain (80 to 120).

Is it worth it? I am not sure, but less waiting is always good. It would be interesting to play with settings to make the router transfer constant 19 MB/s, tho I am not sure how I would do that.

Mind this is rather close to the router, and I just set it up to test a bit.