Community discussions

fstirparo
just joined
Topic Author

Configuring a Single SSID WLAN with Two wAP AC (RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD-US) and one hEX (RB750Gr3)

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi folks, I've just bought one hEX (RB750Gr3) and two wAP AC (RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD-US) and I want to configure a single SSID Wireless network with seamless roaming between both APs and using the hEX as the controller for the APs.

If anyone has a guide or can link me to any paper with information on how to do it I'll be very thankful

The following figure shows what I am trying to do.

Thanks!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configuring a Single SSID WLAN with Two wAP AC (RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD-US) and one hEX (RB750Gr3)

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Roaming is done by the client. You can only try to encourage it.
Make sure you use the same encryption method and key and try to separate the wireless channels as far as you can. It can help to stick a minimum RSSI of around -75 on to discourage sticky clients.
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configuring a Single SSID WLAN with Two wAP AC (RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD-US) and one hEX (RB750Gr3)

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:53 pm

The only other thing to note is to ensure you have antenna gain entered, I believe with latest firmwares it is done automatically (a gain of 2 is probably right for your unit).
Then, ensure the power settings are not maxed out, which also encourages seemless switching. You will have to play with this on both units to get what you want.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

fstirparo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Thanks for both replies!
One additional question, I've read that a WDS mode has to be enabled in the routers and that both routers must be bridged into a single Wireless interface. Is that right?

Thanks again.

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for both replies!
One additional question, I've read that a WDS mode has to be enabled in the routers and that both routers must be bridged into a single Wireless interface. Is that right?

Thanks again.
Hello

No need for wds. And keep the setup as simple as possible. The APs' Wi-Fi card should be on the same (internal) bridge as the ether port (to make it into an straight AP), but nothing more complicated than that.

Eventually, you may want to learn about CAPsMAN. Yes even for a small setup like yours. It's real useful to have all Wi-Fi info and config in the same place.

Cheers

Sent from my cell phone. Sorry for the errors.

fstirparo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:42 pm

Great! Thanks Alain

fstirparo
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:06 pm

I finally took the time to read and watch some tutorials about CAPsMAN and I was able to configure the router and the APs, and everything is running smoothly.
Thanks for your help.