Community discussions

MikroTik App

gutekpl
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

WiFi in garden - wouldn't cAP AC be better than wAP AC?

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:54 pm

It will be mounted outside, but under roof so protected from rain/snow and direct sunlight in summer when sun is high. Tested ambient temperature starts from -40 for both, cAP ends on 50C while wAP on 70C, but as they are white and will be protected from direct sun I dont think that 20C makes a big difference.

There is 20€ difference in price, which would not bother me so much if they had the same HW, but turns out that wAP has 1 core vs 4 cores in cAP and 64MB memory vs 128MB in cAP, so paying more for getting less is when You start to rethinking Your choice..

Another advantage for cAP is second eth so I can plug IP cam directy into it, no need to use second cable.

Any thoughts?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WiFi in garden - wouldn't cAP AC be better than wAP AC?

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:08 pm

wAP ac is outdoor unit by design. Which brings weather proof enclosure and a few sensors (temperature and voltage). cAP as is indoor unit without those goodies.

Whether those features justify price difference is up to every individual future owner. I'd say it does if outdoor positioning means replacing the unit every 13 months due to water&dust induced failures of cAP ac units.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:16 pm

be careful, outdoor is not just about temp and humidity.
In my experience ants kill more products than anything else does (or other insects which like to be where its worm when its cold outside).
They will get into a CAP easily if it is a place like garden etc.
If its in a relative clean location you can try with the CAP. Worst case you buy a new one in 2-3 years :-)

gutekpl
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:23 pm

Didn't thought about insects, You may be correct indeed, that they can make some mass after longer time.
So I have now around 70MB free ram on my other cAP AC with few packages disabled , does that mean that wAP will have only 6MB free with same config? Isn't that too low? Anyone have any experiences with wAP's? Are they stable/reliable?

neutronlaser

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:57 pm

Get Groove 52 ac

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:57 pm

I've got a few RBs based on MIPSBE architecture (same as wAP ac) and one based on ARM (same as cAP ac)... and my observation is that MIPSBE uses much less RAM (around 30-35MB) than ARM (around 50-65MB) ... for MIPSBE, 64MB of RAM is enough for usual home duties (including firewalling, which I expect won't be on your garden AP's duty list).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:16 pm

mkx playing in the garden again LOL. I bet your the expert on pig fertilizer!
The other issue besides insects would be humidity/fog etc. Plus1 for a purpose designed outdoor unit!!

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 am

Get Groove 52 ac
DO NOT DO THIS!
Groove has only one radio, therefore you have to select - either 2GHz or 5GHz. It can't do both at the same time like any usual AP.

gutekpl
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Get Groove 52 ac
DO NOT DO THIS!
Groove has only one radio, therefore you have to select - either 2GHz or 5GHz. It can't do both at the same time like any usual AP.
I noticed that. Going for wAP AC.

neutronlaser

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:12 am

Do it

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:25 am

I will be setting up a CAPAC outdoors soon too in a carport. It will be under a roof line so won't get rain on it. A WAPAC would be fine but I need the CAPAC's PoE out to power an SXTq above it on a mast. My solution to keeping dust and bugs out is to use the square cover and once the cables are attached use some kind of outdoor acrylic or silicone gap filler to fill in the narrow gaps around the square case. It will then be flush against the wall and airtight as there are no holes in the case. I might put some small ones in the top and bottom to allow airflow. Dunno yet.

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:40 am

I also wrote this in another post. From my experience in many clients, I have had far better performance with cAP ac than wAP ac. When I put some cAP ac I am very confident that everything will be ok, but with wAP is not the same. What the previous posters say it is correct, insects can kill your APs, but I will choose to mount cAP in a place where no rain can enter (and hope that the insects there have better homes than my AP), than use a wAP. I use the wAP only when there is no other choice.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

This seems to be an ideal home outdoor rig...........
https://mikrotik.com/product/rbomnitikg_5hacd

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah. Omnitik ac is a great product but 5ghz only. If you need 2.4 too you would have to add another extra ap 😞

gutekpl
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am

Well, garden is for mobile devices mostly and all of them as for now work on 5ghz so it may be worth going this way.

But is omnitik really much better than wAP? I see they have very simmilar cpu, same AC speed, same OS, just a bit more ram, what is the game changer?

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Well, garden is for mobile devices mostly and all of them as for now work on 5ghz so it may be worth going this way.

But is omnitik really much better than wAP? I see they have very simmilar cpu, same AC speed, same OS, just a bit more ram, what is the game changer?
Many mobile devices used in my country (like Samsung J series) do not support 5ghz. So this depends by country i think.

The difference between the two AP is the fact that Omnitik has much powerful antenna. And from experience i got much better results with it than with wAP.