Community discussions

MikroTik App

connormill
just joined
Topic Author

LTE Carrier Aggregation

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:36 pm

I am having a lot of toruble getting decent speeds from a wAP LTE with the R11e card.

My network (EE UK) Supports carrier aggregation but I cannot get this working in Router OS

Is there any way to enable this in software with the R11e card, or could a Huawei PCI-E / newer MikroTik card be used to get this working?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE Carrier Aggregation

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:17 pm

r11e LTE is an LTE category 4 device which means it doesn't support carrier aggregation ... To support that device has to be at least category 6.

zlobster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:20 pm

R11e-LTE supports up to 150Mbps DL, which is 20MHz total BW, 2x2 DL MIMO, 64QAM.

It's basically an entry-class LTE modem.

There is only one LTE CA capable mini-PCIe card that I know of. However, it's expensive and its FW is currently in experimental phase.

connormill
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:50 pm

R11e-LTE supports up to 150Mbps DL, which is 20MHz total BW, 2x2 DL MIMO, 64QAM.

It's basically an entry-class LTE modem.

There is only one LTE CA capable mini-PCIe card that I know of. However, it's expensive and its FW is currently in experimental phase.
Do you know the model number of the LTE CA capable Mini PCI-E card?

zlobster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Even better - check this out: https://techship.com/products/telit-lm9 ... gps-mpcie/

I don't know if this forum allows external links, so in case the the link is deleted - Telit LM960.

Even better, you can check ALL Cat.6 LTE cards https://techship.com/products/category/lte-cat-6/ under the same roof, and pick one or two of your liking.

This site, techship.com is a good Swedish one. You will do the community a huge favor if you can get your hands on one of these mPCIe cards and test them in a MikroTik.

EDIT 2: I totally forgot about https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Peripherals. There you can check for a list of somewhat supported mPCIe LTE cards, and then pick one that possibly does the job.

connormill
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 pm

The problem I have is that I don't want to spend a lot of money to find out that the card isn't RouterOS compatible.

that wiki article of the compatible cards seems to be a little out of date

zlobster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:15 pm

The problem I have is that I don't want to spend a lot of money to find out that the card isn't RouterOS compatible.
Same with me. I guess someone will still have to take one for the team.

At this point I'm considering a Netgear M1 in passtrough mode with some decent L3 switch or something.

that wiki article of the compatible cards seems to be a little out of date
It seems the same way to me. Doesn't look like MikroTik are paying much attention to it, though.

RogerWilco

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:49 am

FCC mentions a R11e-LTE6 device. I assume that is Cat6. No idea when that would be released.
Hopefully MikroTik will continue making more modems and SXT devices and get around to updating their Wiki page.

zlobster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:39 pm

FCC mentions a R11e-LTE6 device. I assume that is Cat6. No idea when that would be released.
Hopefully MikroTik will continue making more modems and SXT devices and get around to updating their Wiki page.
Judging from the initially listed bands for NA, it will be rather retarded device. :lol: Let's see what bands will they release for the intl. version, although I'm not holding my breath.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:41 pm

https://cdr.pl/p7084,mikortik-routerboa ... -mesh.html

MIKORTIK ROUTERBOARD Audience D25G-5HPACQD2HPND&R11E-LTE6
LTE FDD 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 25, 26
LTE TDD 38, 39, 40, 41n.
2G (2, 3, 5, 8)
3G (1, 2, 5, 8)
slot miniPCIe
antenna u.FL.

For all Poland ISP we have all Band's we need: 1+3+7+8+20+38.
Question is about Carrier Aggregation in R11e-LTE6 - on what band's will be CA working. We must wait for official announcements.
The SXT R + LHG R + LtAP mini + wAP R have got 100Mb Ethernet interface and Cat.6 with reaching 100-300Mb will be lost.
Only LtAP and wAP R ac have GigaBit Ethernet and USB 3.0 and are good base on Cat.6 cards like Quectel EP06-E who is the best cost/performance/compability card. I hope that Telit LM940+LM960 reach more compability in future.
Last edited by SiB on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

weather01089
just joined

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:42 pm

I got sprint running on an R11e-4g in a LtAP mini by doing the following:

Take an active SIM from a sprint hotspot, use an adapter (its a nano card) put into the Ltap.
The R11e-4g IMEI isnt in the Sprint database, so this is needed.

Then it connects, only on band 41 (only compatible band in the R11e-4g) however. This was fine in the city, they dont use that in the rural areas.

So now, I have a Sierra MC7354 on the way. The IMEI for that IS in Sprints database. The card supports 25 and 26, much better in Rural areas.
Its listed on the supported devices page, but only PPP until v7 arrives. Beta for mipsbe yet??

You can get a sprint sim card for the LtAP on ebay, sprint part number is SIMGLW106R. Sprint was clueless when I asked them for it.
Now you can get that activated as is. Ill advise on the speed when the Sierra card arrives. The R11e-4g was running 12mbits down, the max they will give you normally.

Ray

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:12 pm

CA now is supported on r11-lte6
lte.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 am

I have got "SXTR rev2 & R11e-LTE6 kit" by 1 day.

SIM are not up/down but a/b.
2CA works. Cell/SectorID lock works for primary band and second one "ca-band" works automatical. This lock is now save inside modem, we not must use modem-init.
mspaint_qoO5jcUrxo.png
It's inside house now. I prepare place outsite at 5m up.
My BTS is 3km at 80m up.

EDIT:
At. v6.46 the cell-monitor is fixed, now show the EARFCN.
winbox_v3.20_64_WdbLEa3x99.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SiB on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Setneuf

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Can someone tell if this new modem is the "thing" that we always wanted? :P

Has anyone made tests?

mah111
just joined

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:25 am

So,
First of all, hi all!

I can say several things about LTE cat6 and CA.
I own Mikrotik Audience LTE with mentioned modem.
Carrier aggregation works for e between channel 3/7 and 1/20.
When the signal is strong and BTS is not very loaded, I can get speeds around 70/20 Mbit/s.

However, I have a lot of issues keeping the connection stable.
I'm not sure if that's the issue on the carrier side or the router itself, but it seems Huawei routers are more stable than this one.
When it works, it work fine, but suddenly (when LTE connection is still active), sites stop responding and internet connection is lost.

The only workaround I wrote is to ping 8.8.8.8 and when it stops responding, reset LTE module.
After reconnection things are fine (at least for a while).

I've been thinking of changing mpcie card to LM940 or LM960 but I'm not sure if it works correctly. Besides more antenna plugs, it has USB 3.0, so some pins might have to be isolated.
Also there is a new kid on the block: Chateau LTE12 with CAT 12 LTE modem which looks very interesting.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 pm

I'm not sure if that's the issue on the carrier side or the router itself, but it seems Huawei routers are more stable than this one.
When it works, it work fine, but suddenly (when LTE connection is still active), sites stop responding and internet connection is lost.
True. This is fixed in new firmware who is now at Release Candidate. I hope they can release it asap.
He have still problems on CellLock witch short lost signal stuff.

mah111
just joined

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:36 pm

True. This is fixed in new firmware who is now at Release Candidate. I hope they can release it asap.
He have still problems on CellLock witch short lost signal stuff.
Really?
Are we talking about Router OS 7?
Interestingly, Mikrotik Chateau is on v. 7 already, out of the box (and cannot be reverted to v.6)

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:21 pm

mah111
Really?
Are we talking about Router OS 7?
Interestingly, Mikrotik Chateau is on v. 7 already, out of the box (and cannot be reverted to v.6)
I write not about ROS version but about Modem-Firmware version.
RB CCR series are the same story about ROS v6 out-of-box and I have many problems until v6.19 what is for me first stable one in v6 branch and v6.4 as problematic but stable. About ROSv7 will be te same - it will be not stable at first x subversions and will be big changes between subversions.

ko20
just joined

Wed May 27, 2020 11:09 am

I've been thinking of changing mpcie card to LM940 or LM960 but I'm not sure if it works correctly.
LM960 connects for me on 4 CA. I used it in RB912. GUI does not support it properly, some changes need to be done via AT codes - for example, GUI shows it;s connected on one band only. AT commands indicate 4 CA.

raulico
just joined

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:53 am

hello,
i'm using this old post just to remain on topic.
The chateau lte12 i have came with os 7.1beta2
and i would like to know hot to use CA on the lte interface.
I see only B3 and B20 (20 and 10 mhz) , but how can i force which one and how many bands to aggregate?
i can select bands on the lte interface 1+3+5+etc etc, but not to specify which and how many.
Another question is, why i should use a beta os, and i can't reverse to 6.xx?

thanks you for replies

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:33 pm

raulico
and i would like to know hot to use CA on the lte interface.
When you enable that bands what are in your Tower-s/BTS and your ISP send signal then that Bands can be connected.
You can connect to single bands to discover all bands what work with your sim card.
Usefull is a /interface lte cell-monitor ... feature !.

I see only B3 and B20 (20 and 10 mhz) , but how can i force which one and how many bands to aggregate?
CA is receiving from your Tower, your UE send to BTS what he have enabled bands and what CA he can use and Tower response with CA activation - it's very general answer for complex technology.
check for example list of bands at wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks or use cellmapper and select country&isp to see what Bands he use....
i can select bands on the lte interface 1+3+5+etc etc, but not to specify which and how many.
Every ISP per every country has own policy... CA is receiving from BTS. You can do a selection a primary band by CellLock feature but all other bands are automatical assign and very often dynamic, means when you download stg then then you see that CA active.

Another question is, why i should use a beta os, and i can't reverse to 6.xx?
Because that RB use and work only 7.xx who not have a stable yet. Ask MikroTik directly.