Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bomber67
Topic Author

SOLVED: 2xRB112 - stuck on 5180 MHz - rate never > 6 Mbps

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:26 am

I have setup 2x RIC/522 with RB112 and R52, one as AP bridge and the other as Station, distance approx 1 km. Both running 2.9.40.

Eth1 of AP is connected to the Internet through a non-MT router (because this is an extension of an already existing network)

On the wireless page of the wireless interface of AP I have selected "ap bridge", set SSID and picked the 5GHz band. The frequency then defaulted to 5180 MHz.
Frequency mode is set to "regulatory domain" and the country to the proper one (EU area).

On the station I selected "station", set SSID and selected 5GHz band.

The connection established and ran ok, but when I tried to change to another channel (5500MHz) because 5180 is for indoor use, the station failed to associate. Now the only band I'm able to use is 5180.
From my experience with wireless i was assuming that the station should adapt to whicever frequency is used by the AP? What can be wrong?

The rate also never exceeds 6 Mbps, although the signal on both sides is about -55 to -60 dBm. Nothing else in the band, noise floor at -100 dBm.

Another challenge is how to be able to Winbox to both units from remote. Now I have forwarded port 8291 on the non-MT gateway to the AP and run fine against that, but cannot reach the station with Winbox.
I have read on the forum that the only possibilty is to establish a VPN tunnel (layer 2) to inside my network and then select router by MAC.
Now I'm just able to Webbox into them but the functionality of the web interface is very limited so I cannot do much there.

Is there another way around?

Bomber67
Topic Author

Now 23 Mbps on the link!

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 am

Apparently the issues related to channel and link speed were due to the wireless settings, I had forgot to set "regulatory domain" and select country on the station.
Is it normal that only the lowest channel can be selected then? Was my poor rate due to power restrictions or just restrictions applied because location was not selectes?
When this was done I could pick whichever channel I wanted on the AP and the station associated right away, rate rises to 54 Mb when traffic on the link.
Set basic rate to 6 Mbps and checked all rates as supported.

A bandwidth test showed 23 Mbps in both directions! Happy day!

However, I'm still looking for a way to run Winbox remotely against several routers.
Is the only solution VPN?

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Bomber67 -
You didn't say how your network was setup - routed or bridged....

All my MT routers (wireless included) are 'inside' my nat'ed network, with private IPs, i.e. 10.x.x.x, or 192.168.x.x. From there if necessary, from the Internet I may log in to my main MT router and dest-nat one of the public IPs I keep availabe for this to the desired MT router, log in normally either via winbox or ssh.

Since I run a routed network...from inside the network it is simply a matter of using winbox or ssh w/the right address and I am there.

Hope this helps.

Thom
Thom Lawless
General Manager
RapidWiFi, LLC
thom.lawless [at] rapidwifi.com

Bomber67
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:11 pm

Thank you for the tip Tom!

My network is routed.
As this is a rather small setup I have only one public IP, therefore I cannot do that.
I could dst-nat port 8291 further to another unit but then I'm afraid I won't be able to move back. I don't trust Webbox that much, screwed up my masquerade settings the other day while fooling around in Webbox.
I could get through to customer but he could not get out, took me a while to figure out and then I discovered that the masquerade entry was gone.

Normis: Can't you allow Winbox to run on "any" port or within a port range? Would solve my problem.

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Bomber67 -
You can re-direct ports in the firewall, and I believe that you can change the port for Winbox...you could also use SSH.

I see below that you forwarded from your 'main' none MT router port 8291 to your main MT AP. You'll have to ssh from the AP (while in Winbox on the main MT AP) use the 'new terminal' menu option, put in the CPE address, username, password - that will get you in to the CPE in ssh mode while you are still connected to the main MT AP.

I believe in the docs for MT there is an option to change the default winbox port.... I haven't used it but I am pretty sure it's there.

Thom

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 pm

If know which box inside the network you want access to and you want to use winbox to access it , its much quicker to set up an ssh tunnel to it.

If your laptop/pc is running linux do this :

ssh -L 8291:X.X.X.X:8291 Y.Y.Y.Y -l admin

X.X.X.X is the ip of the inside box Y.Y.Y.Y is the public ip of the gateway MT

Then put " localhost " in where the ip goes in winbox .

If you're running windows download this : http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/lat ... /putty.exe