Community discussions

MikroTik App

sb4820
just joined
Topic Author

Two wireless interfaces in the same bridge - loop?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi there,

I am a sound engineer and want to use the hAP ac for remote control of a mixing desk. As every of the musicians is controlling his in-ear mix via smartphone or tablet and I encountered some issues in the past with some of the devices kicking others out of the network, my plan was to create two different SSIDs, one for me to be safe and one for the others, to have better control what's happening in the network. Of course, all traffic has to be routed to the same LAN interface with the mixer connected.

When I run this setup, I have massive connection problems - even if I connect only one wireless device to one of the two networks it sometimes takes ages until an IP address is obtained and I can't even reach the RouterOS configuration page. I also did some tests at home and ran the hAP as additional AP to my FritzBox (then of course with disabled DHCP server) and encountered the same problem - websites are loaded extremely slow when connected over the hAP. Disabled the second network and everything was fine.

Sometimes I run the same setup another day with exactly the same devices and it works. Do I produce a network loop with assigning two interfaces configured as AP bridge to the same bridge? In the master interface, there is also a separate option for enabling or disabling bridge mode, which I already have disabled, as I had recent trouble on a mAP lite in AP bridge mode and the bridge option enabled (which is by the way the default setting).

Am I trying to build something that can't even work for some reason? In the end, what I am trying to do should be the same as setting up two physically separate access points...