Community discussions

MikroTik App

soyfilipo
just joined
Topic Author

Question about CAPsMAN at home

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Good day to all!

I currently have 3 HAP AC lite at home, the main one acts as a router and the rest I've configured as APs, but I've configured each individually, I have not CAPsMAN set because I can't get my head around that configuration.

I have on my network 2 vlans, one for my family and another one for guests each with its separate SSID associated to each VLAN of course.

So my questions are the following, I've seen some examples online on how to configure a capsman but I havent seen anyone yet with more than one vlan setup, my other question would be, I have a managed switch in between my main router and the APs, its an old cisco switch I bought on ebay on the cheap. In order for capsman to work, Do I have to ditch the switch? Does it need to be directly connected to the main router? Is there any special setup I have to configure on the switch in order for the capsman to work?

Much appreciated :)

ingtegration

Re: Question about CAPsMAN at home

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 am

I have many setups using as much as 4 SSIDs (each SSID has its own VLAN) distributed on many APs, all that managed with CAPsMAN. Wireless clients transparently roams around using the best signal. Some of the wireless clients implementation roam better than others, meaning the "stick less" and change faster when seeing a better signal, YMMV.

Do I have to ditch the switch? Does it need to be directly connected to the main router?

No, APs don't need to be directly hooked to the router and any switch will do.