Community discussions

Thor187
Topic Author

Wifi AP strength VS Wifi Client strength

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm

This might be a noob question, but I am struggling (after 3 minutes of googling ;) ) to find answers.

Does the strength of the phone matter - ie in my mind I am telling myself there is no point to put down a powerful Omni antenna in the middle of my house that all my devices can see, but cannot talk back too.

However, won't a more powerful antenna on the AP give the AP the ability to pick up a signal from a client device even if the client device cannot fully reach the AP?

Does my question make sense?

Rephrase would you rather put a lot of less powerful APs (hAP mini's/Caps) throughout your house or put down a single AP (example the Metal AC with a 12dBi Omni) which will easily cover the entire building,

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Wifi AP strength VS Wifi Client strength

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:18 pm

APs generally have more power than client devices, so tuning output power to get a balance is important. You're right that a higher gain antenna both improves transmit and receive, but at the cost of radiation pattern. For example a 12dB omni in a house would work great on one floor but go upstairs and you'd barely have any signal. I generally prefer multiple smaller APs with low TX power instead of one high power AP, this also allows client devices to use a low transmit power to save battery and minimizes airtime contention (assuming you run on different frequencies).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:00 pm

In addition to what writes @R1CH, a "powerful" antenna will be better at reception of interference if there is any ... so it won't really help to improve coverage as client device will still have to overpower that interference regardless the overall Rx sensitivity of your AP.
BR,
Metod

Thor187
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Turns out this wireless thing a lot more complex than one thinks.

Lots of little CAPs/hAPs is the way I will proceed then going forward.