planetcaravan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

[CAPsMAN] Channel advise

Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi there,

I'm not a wireless expert.
I got a simple question about channel use. In a CAPsMAN network do I have to use the same channel for all CAPs? Or do I have to select different channel for each CAP?

Exiver
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: [CAPsMAN] Channel advise

Mon May 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Its up to you. You can either set every channel for every access point by hand - or let capsman decide.

If you decide to let capsman do the decision you could either set a channel-list (example 2,4ghz: 1,7,13 or 1,5,9,13 or whatevery you like) or just dont set any channels. For us the channel-lists worked better than no channel-list and per-accesspoint settings are not possible in our setup. I would recommend you to do the same.

planetcaravan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 pm

Thanks for your answer.
So you are suggesting to set a channel-list (example 2,4ghz: 1,7,13 or 1,5,9,13) and specify a single channel for all CAPs?

Exiver
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 pm

No. You should set a channel-list for your caps and not a single channel ;-) The capsman will decide which client uses which frequency. If you have a small amount of caps and you know the location you could maybe set the channels each for every access point. But as i said earlier i think its better to just have the channel-list and let capsman decide which accesspoint should use what frequency

planetcaravan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 11:47 pm

So If I will define a channel-list, each CAPs will take a random frequency from that list?

Exiver
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 07, 2019 12:13 am

As far as i know it will use the same algorithm to chose a channel like using the option "auto" for channel-frequency. If you set a list it will only chose from those entries but always chose the one capsman founds looking best suitable. It depends on the amount of other devices on these channels (maybe they have changed that since i last checked). Why dont you just try out what works best for you ;-)

planetcaravan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 am

What about a CAPsMAN network with 10 CAPs with the same frequency?

Exiver
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 07, 2019 12:27 am

Totally depends on the location of the caps. If they are all in the same room you wont have much fun. If you need a high density setup you could consider lowering the tx-power. But im not sure where this goes. If you have a specific question for a setup why dont you just ask it completly (for example you could post a diagram of the location)

planetcaravan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks again for your answer.
I have not a specific case as I'm not an expert and I did less than 10 network with CAPsMAN. I was just intereseted in how use channels.
I didn't know that I would have to lowering the tx-power in a high density setup. Thanks again.
Any other suggestion?

Exiver
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 07, 2019 12:19 pm

There are some things you can try to make your setup better. But that mostly relies on some kind of experience. I have learned much just from testing it out in our small lab and getting overwhelmed how difficult it can be in the real world ;-) What has really helped me are the presentations of MUMs (you can find them on the mikrotik site or on youtube) and of course: reading the wiki and the examples.