Community discussions

MikroTik App

EagerStreamer
just joined
Topic Author

Which mode do I need?

Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 am

Hi guys!

I am looking for help selecting the right mode for the MikroTik hAP Lite (RB941-2nd) that I just acquired to improve wireless signal on my network. If you could help me select the correct AP/bridge mode for my use case I would really appreciate it!

My primary (non MikroTik) router is located next to my modem. The router has a set-top box hardwired to it, all other devices are wireless. One Windows PC in a different room gets a poor/unstable signal due to thick walls, so I want to use the MikroTik as an access point (bridge?) just for that PC. I stream videos from that PC to the set-top box via Windows SMB sharing.

My goal is to:
1) improve internet access for the PC in the room with thick walls, and
2) to enable streaming large video files from the PC to the set-top box

In order for streaming to remain enabled, I need both the set-top box and the PC to be on the same LAN. I plan to disable WiFi on the laptop entirely, hardwire it to the MikroTik, and place the MikroTik just outside the room with thick walls.

Which mode do I need? There are so many in the Quick Set settings! CPE, PTP Bridge AP, PTP Bridge CPE, Wisp AP, Home AP, Basic AP, CAP, and it's all very confusing. I am thankful for any help!

EagerStreamer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Which mode do I need?

Thu May 30, 2019 11:51 am

Are these forums read by MikroTik staff?

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Mostly not. Just us users.

Documentation for Quickset is here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Quickset
It's terrible though, and doesn't tell you much.
Most people don't bother with Quickset, because it usually makes a complete mess.
But if you want to persist, then CPE would appear to be the one you want (although I have never tried it).

EagerStreamer
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 1:27 pm

Thanks sid5632. I don't need to use Quickset. I need to use whatever settings are needed for my use case, if it's not through Quickset, then via manual settings.

I really need someone to walk me through the settings though, as I spent several hours playing around with the settings with no success. It's especially frustrating that you have to hard-reset the router after every attempt. Very amateur way to design a product.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 30, 2019 2:36 pm

First: Reset your device, make sure "No Default Configuration" is checked.
Then:

- Reconnect (use MAC instead of IP, WinBox will find your device)
- Create bridge and add all interfaces
- Add DHCP client to your bridge (then your Mikoritk will be accessible through an IP address)
- Configure your wireless interfaces as desired (make sure you set country code, channel, channel width, security and transmission power)

That's about it, your device will work as combined switch and accesspoint.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 30, 2019 3:16 pm

The device should be pre-configured to do exactly what you asked, this is the "HomeAP" mode in Quickset (should be default).

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 30, 2019 3:52 pm

If I read it right, he wants it to be a station to some other access point, not be an access point itself (which is what I presume HomeAP actually does - again I haven't tried it).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 30, 2019 4:42 pm

I am confused. Why are you only thinking about wifi to the set top box?
Are you stating you have no ethernet wiring distribution in your location?
Go to your hardware store and find the longest drill bit you can find!!!! Thick wall problem solved!!

It sounds like you would need to use a 2.4ghz frequency for thru thick wall tx with no guarantees especially if your area is already congested with wifi. Have you tried using electrical circuit for passing ethernet signal?
Is there any coax between the two room as MOCA connections are even better?
Last edited by anav on Thu May 30, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 30, 2019 4:43 pm

I thought that would be a cable connection... ok maybe misunderstanding

EagerStreamer
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am

Go to your hardware store and find the longest drill bit you can find!!!! Thick wall problem solved!!

I'm a huge fan of wired Ethernet, but drilling is not an option. 50 cm brick walls in a rental apartment, there is no way I could get away with it.

EagerStreamer
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:08 pm

OP here, still looking for help with this. Since Mikrotik's staff has pretty much abandoned this forum, can anyone recommend another forum with lots of traffic and knowledgeable users who can walk me through this setup step by step?

Thank you

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 pm

How does your PC get internet now?
If it is in another room, presumably it is wired to the current router?

Your entire logic is faulty if the PC is getting wifi now as its main supply. If the wireless signal to the PC is poor due to construction/walls etc, what makes you think that the reverse path will not suffer the same issues.....................

Since you have no ethernet wiring, and no coax wiring to the rooms your are SOL.
Your best solution is simple. Get a laptop to use to stream to your set top box and put it in the same physical location.
Or continue to attempt to stuff a noodle up a straw. :-)

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:15 pm

Since Mikrotik's staff has pretty much abandoned this forum
They are here and help out all what the can. Problem is that they/we can not understand your request.
Post a drawing of how you like it. Seeing thing visually help a lot.

EagerStreamer
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:46 pm

How does your PC get internet now?
If it is in another room, presumably it is wired to the current router?

I already described that in the original post. It gets WiFi, but the signal is weakened by thick walls. It's fine for everyday use, but not for streaming HD video on the LAN.

Your entire logic is faulty if the PC is getting wifi now as its main supply. If the wireless signal to the PC is poor due to construction/walls etc, what makes you think that the reverse path will not suffer the same issues.....................

The logic is not faulty, because if the Mikrotik can be hardwired to the PC in bridge or whatever mode, then it (the Mikrotik) can also be taken outside the room in the hallway and mounted on a wall, on top of furniture etc to avoid interference. That way only 1 wall will stand in the way instead of 2 or 3. The signal will become much stronger.

Since you have no ethernet wiring, and no coax wiring to the rooms your are SOL.
Your best solution is simple. Get a laptop to use to stream to your set top box and put it in the same physical location.
Or continue to attempt to stuff a noodle up a straw. :-)

How in the world is that a solution? I need a stable internet connection in every room. Placing all computers in the living room does not solve anything.

EagerStreamer
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:51 pm

we can not understand your request.
Post a drawing of how you like it. Seeing thing visually help a lot.

I'm not sure what you want me to draw.

Short version: The computer in the farthest room from the main router gets weak signal. I want to hardwire it to the Mikrotik and take Mikrotik outside the room to improve signal. All computers in the apartment need to be on the same LAN. The end.

jamieereynoldss
just joined

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:31 pm

I'm a huge fan of wired Ethernet, but drilling is not an option. 50 cm brick walls in a rental apartment, there is no way I could get away with it.
Yes, no matter how sad it was, but wired Ethernet is already in the past.