Community discussions

MikroTik App

man
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Access Point and Sniffer on one Wlan 2.4

Mon May 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Is it possible to use RB hAP Lite as an AP and also a sniffer? All shoul be on 2,4 band.
Maybe with some additional hardware? or even there is some mikrotik device which may do that?

In my case one 2.4 wlan shoul be as guest Hotspot point and second shoul be as a sniffer to track amount of clients in the shop.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Access Point and Sniffer on one Wlan 2.4

Tue May 28, 2019 10:57 am

You can run WiFi scan in the background, without stopping the AP function. Just click "Scan" on the interface, and select "background scan". Then you can monitor other APs in the area, without disrupting the AP clients.

But Scan only looks for other APs. If you want to run Wireless Snooper or other tools, the interface can't also serve clients at the same time. Then you need something with multiple interaces and hAP can't do this.

man
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks!

I need to get Wi-Fi Probes in order to know how many peaople are near my AP, also separate them into three grops (near, middle, far)...
I may do it, when sniffer is running, but as you said then my clients can't connect to the HotSpot.

Is there any Mikrotik device when can do that?
All should be on 2.4GHz band.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 28, 2019 11:39 am

No there isn't.
What are you trying to do exactly? Why do you need to know how many people are near your AP but are using some other WiFI ?

man
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 11:53 am

I have a business case where i need to give my clients an internet access via HotSpot. There are a lot of such points (hundreds of locations) all are Mikrotik routers. Also i need to know how may people are going though my points ( say, very short interaction time of sell phone and access point ), how may peoples stays around (say they are in location or near more then 5-10 minutes) and so on.
All that i may do with sniffer, i may grab wifi probes and compute distance, interaction duration ...
It is very important.
And as i already uses Mikrotiks (as i said hundreds of routers), i have wrote all required scripts for them, i prefer to stay with Mikrotik.

man
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Unfortunately, but most probably, should switch to RPI3 with an additional USB WiFi modules.

whatever

Wed May 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Is this "very important" way of tracking people legal in your country? As far as I know iOS devices as well as the latest Android versions already randomize their mac address when probing for wifi networks as countermeasure to this kind of privacy violation.

man
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm

I have checked and yes, it is legal, As i do not save and display any information about client, also all info are faceless/impersonal (no any phone numbers/names/age/etc is tied to the MAC )
MACs on android, at least at my tests are 100% real. iOS around 70-90% depends in version of iOS.