Community discussions

olivier2831
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Experience with PtP Wireless Wire Dish link

Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 pm

Hello,

I've read in this [1] thread, some kind of survey regarding PtMP W60g performance.
Some commented their own experience in a PtP setup.

1. Can I ask here, to sum up here your experiences with a Wireless Wire Dish link in Point-to-Point setup ?
Do you have disconnections ? How often ? Do they relate to whether conditions ?

2. Is there a way to remote log radio link performance (ie send measurements of link quality over the network to a log server) ?

3. What is the recommended process for RouterOS upgrades ? Master first, then Slave ?

[1] viewtopic.php?f=7&t=129667

Cheers

olivier2831
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Experience with PtP Wireless Wire Dish link

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Complementing my previous message, I installed a 130m PtP Wireless Dish Link.
Rough measures (with iperf and a pair of PCs) showed 900Mb/s throughput, with a sunny weather.
This link will enter production at the end of June.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 am

Our links under 500m Did not disconnect since installing, this is more Then 12 Month

mazza
just joined

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:04 pm

I replaced a 5GHz ac link (2 x SXT HG ac) with two Wireless Wire Dish in last September. The link is about 650 m long. The performance of the 5GHz ac link was never satisfying. Only with mikrotiks nstream it was possible get a relative stable link with about 180MBit/s TCP thruput. NV2 was super slow (max. 40MBit/s). 802 had a much higher maximal thruput (350MBit/s) but lots of link drops for some seconds. I guess the problem was one roof that hit the first fresnel zone.
However, the new link with two Wireless Wire Dish is super stable! I can send nearly 900Mbit/s in a single TCP connection over it and about 1600MBit/s accumulated traffic in both directions. I think the 1600MBit/s is not the limit of the Wireless Wire Dish itself but the limit of one of the routers connected at one end of the link. It is stable even during heavy rain. (The Wireless Wire Dish can measure the signal decline during heavy rain, but I can not observe it from a file transfer or something like that.)

Over all I can say that the Wireless Wire Dish provides the best experience I have ever made with outdoor links with line of sight.

(I used iperf3 for all my measurements.)