Community discussions

Åndrew
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless clients can't get an IP

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Hello. I have a hEX successfully serving wired clients, and a cAP AC plugged into it. After a reconfiguration, wifi clients can't get an IP address. I was using CAPsMAN months ago but reset everything and am just setting up the cAP directly now as I only have one. My devices can see the wifi network but can't get an IP on that network.

For the cAP I used Quick Set with "Home AP Dual". There are things wrong here but I'm not sure how to fix them. It got 192.168.88.12 from the hEX, but for some reason still wants an IP address under "Local Network". I'm not sure why. 0.0.0.0 is default there but I can't save things with that setting. I added 192.168.89.1 and that was allowed, but I know it can't be right as I have DHCP turned off anyway on the cAP. See the screenshot.

Also I see my wireless clients are connecting, and keep getting 169.254.x.x addresses assigned to them briefly before the addresses disappear. In the end it seems (?) like my hEX DHCP is not assigning IPs to wireless clients connecting via the cAP.

There's nothing like MikroTik to make me feel dumb...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Wireless clients can't get an IP

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Use "WISP AP" and set bridge mode. "Home AP Dual" is intended if you have the device hooked up directly to your WAN.

Åndrew
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 am

Thank you for trying to help me. I've just spent a couple more hours on this and I still can't get it to work. I've tried CAPSMan and got the 2.4GHz radio to work but the 5GHz channel just says "No Support Channel" no matter what I try. I've gone back to Quick Set and fail there. I reset the cAP AC and it won't show up in WinBox until I put it back in CAPSMan mode.

I feel like I'm just done with spending my life trying to get Mikrotik gear to work. If someone smarter than me in Canada wants to make me an offer for a cAP AC and a hEX, let me know.

ryangibson5
just joined

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Don't give up in frustration. It can be solved.

Try settings via a bridge with both eth and wlan in that same bridge.
Setup a DHCP client for the bridge.
Be careful in how you NAT internally
Make sure you have Security on your wifi profile for 2.4 and 5 Ghz,

There are plenty of help out here, try to copy your config or relevant config for people to easily see where the problem may be.