Community discussions

MikroTik App

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

set PVID of WDS dynamic interface? and wireless clients with a vlan-aware bridge

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:17 am

There is an option to have a WDS instance add itself to a bridge, but if one is using the new vlan aware bridge, how does one set the PVID of the WDS port? It seems to always be 1, no matter what.

I've tried adding the parent virtual AP to the bridge vlan, as well as setting the vlan in both the wireless settings of the AP and in the access list for the client. the WDS tab or the cli equivalent have no way to specify the PVID.

this is on 6.45.1

Basically, I want my wireless clients to end up in one or more vlans in a vlan-aware bridge. I think I can do this for regular clients by putting the relevant AP in the right vlan, though I'm not sure how the vlan-id in the access-list or on the AP affects this (does that only apply to the wireless connection itself (in other words if the client should be tagged, and what the tag should be), and not the AP side?). Also, does this mean every client would share the same vlan? should the AP (wlan1 or whatever) be added to every relevant vlan as tagged?

But I also have WDS clients, and I'm at a loss after lots of experimenting and searching online as to how to get them in anything other than vlan 1 (at least using a vlan-aware bridge).

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: set PVID of WDS dynamic interface? and wireless clients with a vlan-aware bridge

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:03 am

Short version:

How do I set the PVID of a dynamic WDS interface when it is added to a VLAN-aware bridge?

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: set PVID of WDS dynamic interface? and wireless clients with a vlan-aware bridge

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Since there is no response, I'll assume its not possible for now; I hope it will be resolved eventually.

A related issue I ran into while working with the 60G stuff is the need to add stations to multiple "/interface bridge vlan" entries.
With the 60G stuff, a persistent station interface gets created once a station has associated once, which can then be manually added to the appropriate bridge port and vlan tables. It would be nice to have an automated way (short of writing custom scripts) to specify what PVID and which VLANs a new station should be a member of.

jeandconte
just joined

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Have you fopund the answer? Someone did?

I have a similar issue and cant figure out how to solve. I got 3 mikrotik in dynamic bridge, but only one bridge with multiple vlans. Unfortunately, i have to add the dynamic interfaces on bridge vlans everytime... ​so i had to change my wds to static, since dynamic doesnt allow me to add dynamic interfaces to the vlan on the bridge dinamically..

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:21 pm

I raised a ticket last month as this also affects PPP-like interfaces (L2TP/PPTP/SSTP) when using BCP. The reply was "Unfortunately, such an option is not supported. We will see if this could be added in future RouterOS releases, but I cannot promise that it will be implemented."

Do you need WDS? Mikrotik ap-bridge to station-bridge connections are properly layer2 transparent.

jeandconte
just joined

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 pm

No, we dont use wds right now, but wanted. We need to avoid the "disconnection" and "reconnection" everytime a device changes from AP to AP in our wireless enviroment, avoiding the need to get a new IP address. We have 2 SSIDs in Virtual APs, ("Corp" and "Guest"), that means at least 2 vlans.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:59 pm

No, we dont use wds right now, but wanted. We need to avoid the "disconnection" and "reconnection" everytime a device changes from AP to AP in our wireless enviroment, avoiding the need to get a new IP address. We have 2 SSIDs in Virtual APs, ("Corp" and "Guest"), that means at least 2 vlans.

I am not sure why IP Addresses will change, as it binds to a MAC address and surely same MAC address of client WiFi will try and connect to next available AP?

Have not tested it, but solution for the "Corp" and Guests" will be to create 2 virtual APs, one for each, then do Vlan config as per normal in Vlan aware bridge config