MikroTik App

sterling
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

6 x 60G AP Sectors Area Configuration Thread

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:28 am

Is anyone else doing this yet?

I've set up six 60G AP's in a 360 degree pattern/coverage every 400m or so.

So far it's just a few of these POPs, but having a hard time keeping things happy without synch of any kind.

Seems like these radios would really be good for this type of hyper local coverage with fiber or other 1Gbps feed or more.

What I've done so far is set up the 60 degree radios centered on headings approximately 30, 90, 150, 210, 270, 330 degrees in a NNE, E, SSE, SSW, W, NNW fashion.
What I would really like to do is be able to geo-synch the radios, especially so I can have back to back config/channels and only use 3 channels per site.
Then also the same three channels on every other site with facing AP's on the same channel and back to back AP's on the same channels, again using only 3 channels area wide.

I think I might be able to do this without GPS synch, but for the fact the AP's back to back see each other at 80-100 percent signal which I'm sure is bad.

Not sure what a workaround solution is yet, but would love to hear any ideas.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: 6 x 60G AP Sectors Area Configuration Thread

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:13 am

Maybe shileding the AP using something like https://www.interprojekt.it/anti-noise- ... -1748.html

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 am

Yes we Did something like this But with:

https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_60gx3_ap

We Use 3 device to Cover 360deg with 3 channels in Use we had No issue

sterling
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:22 pm

I thought about using some sort of shielding on them. The problem is that unless they are certified with the unit itself, I think it's technically a violation to combine it with the Mikrotik unit as it could change the radio wave propagation of the radio itself.

I do have a couple of the 180 degree units in operation, using three of those solves the problem technically, but then I lose a lot of density/customer count.
And their 180 degree coverage isn't the same I've found, as using three of the 60 degree. It's less effective for clients in different locations from center.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:15 am

Separation will do wonders too. Both horizontal and vertical. Any radio device back to back on a mast is usually a bad idea. 2-3 meters vertically and 1 horizontal is about minimal in my opinion.

sterling
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:19 am

These are micro pops on rooftops.

So there can be a little bit of horizontal separation if I'm using two different j arms. But not vertical.

Also does not solving facing APs.

But what can I expect from mikrotik. They don't know how to do scale area synch. I'll have to migrate to Cambium or UI if they ever come out with that. I don't think ignite has that yet either.