Community discussions

vader7071
Topic Author

Help with a wireless backbone

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:47 pm

I am contemplating installing a router system for my business, and I know what I have in my head, but I would like to make sure what I am seeing in my head will work.

I will need two networks. Network "A" will be a 192.168.x.x network. Network "B" will be a 10.x.x.x network. Both networks will have access to the internet, but the networks will not have access to each other. This part is easy. I have done it on my RB951 at my house. The next part is where I am not sure.

Equipment:
(1) RB4011 router
(1) Omnitik 5 AC
(1) WAP

Here is what I see in my head. On the RB4011:
port 1 = Internet modem
port 2-6 = bridged together for Network A (192.168.x.x)
port 7-8 = bridged together for Network B (WAP will be on port 8) (10.x.x.x)

Here is where I need some guidance. I want the Omnitik 5 AC at a remote building (approx 200 yards away) to act as a wireless backbone between the 2 buildings. In the remote building, I will need a physical cable connection on network "A" (192.168.x.x) and I will need a WAP on network "B" (10.x.x.x) in the remote building.

So my question is this, can I accomplish what I would like to do with the equipment listed, or will I need additional equipment?
--
And now I shall close on the subject by quoting Ronald Reagan - who, shortly after taking a bullet, was heard to quip "Ow! Ow! Ow!"

2frogs
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Help with a wireless backbone

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:33 am

I would use the Wireless Wire to bridge the buildings as it can provide wire speeds.

vader7071
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:50 pm

I would use the Wireless Wire to bridge the buildings as it can provide wire speeds.
Thank you. I think that will work well for my application.

So now my equipment list updates to:
Equipment:
(1) RB4011 router
(1) Wireless Wire set
(2) WAP (one at each building)
(1) switch (a second switch for the remote building)

And I should be able to get both networks in both buildings, correct?
--
And now I shall close on the subject by quoting Ronald Reagan - who, shortly after taking a bullet, was heard to quip "Ow! Ow! Ow!"

2frogs
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:30 pm

You will need to use vlans, but having two networks in both buildings should not be a problem. There are many tutorials and examples on this forum and elsewhere. You will need a clan capable switch. Or if you only need a few ports and it is indoors you can use something like an hAP-AC/hAP-AC2 and bridge all ports to act like a switch plus wireless.