Community discussions

MikroTik App

jojodim
just joined
Topic Author

CAPsMAN Access Point Question

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Hello,

I bought a second Mikrotik router to use as another wireless access point on my home network as I needed extended coverage for my patio. My current setup is as follows: I have one router that connects to my fiber modem and serves as my primary wireless access point (access point A) and a second router that I am installing in another area to extend wifi coverage (access point B).

Both access points are connected via ethernet cable. My goal is to have access point B act as transparently as possible, with DHCP and DNS being deferred to access point A.

How do I configure access point A & B to extend my wifi coverage? Do I configure separately or connect B to A via ethernet and then only make changes on access point A.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

CoolTom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CAPsMAN Access Point Question

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:59 pm

CAPsMAN is best way how to control more APs from one place (channels, access list, create more SSID like guest etc).

So setup CAPsMAN at first AP A (as is first on way to Internet and its already your network GW). And second / AP B connect to CAPsMAN as CAP.

AP A will have: CAPsMAN (channels, access list), its WLANs hooked to same CAPsMAN, NAT, Firewall rules, DHCP, DNS forwarded to ISP DNS or public DNS like google.
AP B will have: all ports in one bridge and WLANs connected to AP A CAPsMAN.

As AP A with CAPsMAN is on way to internet I would suggest use CAPsMAN forwarding and not Local forvarding - more easy manage if you create more WLAN SSID and want restrict access for one (for example Guest SSID only access to Internet).

Note: from my experience sometimes CAPsMAN is bad with selecting channels and select same channel for both AP ....

ros44
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 pm

It is not clear if you are using your first router as an access point only or you are using it as a router as well. It makes a difference if you will be using more SSIDs and you want them to be in separate VLANs.

Here are a few ideas from me:
- at the beginning focus on only one SSID and enable local-forwarding.
- on the first router setup the CAPsMAN.
- reset the configuration on the second router and select the CAPS mode from the reset menu.
- configure the first router to be also managed by the CAPsMAN meaning that the router will manage its own wireless. Check this viewtopic.php?t=127517

jojodim
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:39 pm

It is not clear if you are using your first router as an access point only or you are using it as a router as well. It makes a difference if you will be using more SSIDs and you want them to be in separate VLANs. The first router is currently being used as an access point. I would like the second router to have the same SSID and password as the first router so only one shows up when people try and connect to it. I just need expanded wireless coverage. I have 2 CRS125-24G-1S-2HND-IN

Here are a few ideas from me:
- at the beginning focus on only one SSID and enable local-forwarding. How do you enable local forwarding?
- on the first router setup the CAPsMAN. Do I do this by "add new" under "Cap Interface"? If so, what other configurations do I need to set up?
- reset the configuration on the second router and select the CAPS mode from the reset menu. Got this
- configure the first router to be also managed by the CAPsMAN meaning that the router will manage its own wireless. Would you mind expanding on this? The link provided has a number of different suggested configurations and are a bit too complicated for me to follow. Check this viewtopic.php?t=127517