Community discussions

melvineris
just joined
Topic Author

Bridge VLAN performance drop

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:20 am

I’m tinkering with the idea of creating some VLANs in my network, however after a simple activation of vlan-filtering on the bridge, my internet connection speed seems to drop by about 30% (as measured by speedtest.net).

My device is CRS326-24G-2S+RM, I’m using it as a router at the moment with all the ports under the same bridge interface.

How reliable is a speedtest.net test, or is there a better test I could perform? Is the performace drop to be expected? Why would activating vlan-filtering affect my WAN connection speed.

thanks

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bridge VLAN performance drop

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:30 am

CRS3xx should have HW offload support for VLANs ... if things are configured properly it should not experience any slowdowns in intra-VLAN frame forwarding.
You shoukd be aware that CRS devices are essentially switches and L3 (routing) performance is lagging far behind.

So whether the observed 30% performance drop you observed is expected or alarming really depends on configuration and expected performance. Hard to tell which as you didn't include any details in your post.
BR,
Metod