Community discussions

MikroTik App

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CAPsMAN slow my WiFi down

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:26 am

I’m using hAP ac2 and cAP ac, with latest update, everything works fine, very happy for the performance. My Wi-Fi can get me about 450mbps download from both hAP and cAP to my iPhone XS Max, but the roaming experience between them are really bad, lost about 10 pings and disconnected before getting new connection, the chipset and configuration are totally same in both units, and I make sure once a signal less than -70dBm then another signal will be about -55dBm, well controlled overlapping area, not sure why does it so painful to roam.

So I moved on to CAPsMAN, set it up by following the previous config that I used to set in ap mode, the roaming is now working, dropped about 1/2 pings and no disconnection problem, but it only get me about 360mbps, in ap mode with the same config can get me 450mbps.

I monitored the package movement in “interface” and CPU usage, nothing strange, but it just can’t get the speed as what ap mode got. I did enabled local forwarding and disabled client-to-client, tried to switch the CAPsMAN manager from hAP to cAP, nothing helps. I noticed in CAPsMAN mode I can’t set hw protection defragment threshold / immunity / management frame protection.

Does anyone having the performance issue with CAPsMAN too?

Deaqui
just joined

Re: CAPsMAN slow my WiFi down

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Hello Heidarren.
I think you should configure hap ac2 and cap ac as CAP and configure another router to act as manager.
Regards.

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 pm

I only have this 2 units in hand, now I'm using hAP as router and cAP as CAPsMAN, and all wireless in both devices set as CAP.

Really weird, same setting but CAP mode will decrease speed from 450mbps to 360mbps.

Also, I'd noticed the upload speed is different in both devices, I can get 400mbps+ upload speed in cAP but only 200mbps in hAP, checked the connection all running at 866.6Mbps-80MHz/2S/SGI in both Tx Rate and Rx Rate, but hAP can only get half upload speed of what cAP can get.

If anyone of you are using cAP, can you please help me to check your upload speed? I wanna make sure if all cAP are same or mine unit has problem, will send for warranty if true, many thanks.

putude
just joined

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:33 am

Similar problem here. Using cAP Lite and RB450 as Capsman. Download speed decrease from the source 10 Mbps become 2 Mbps. But the upload side is normal. But sometimes the speed is back to normal from the source 10Mbps become 9.7Mbps. I try to set the wifi's frequencies (3 channel only), remove the VLAN, make it simpler, but it' didn't help at all.

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am

I’ve found something interesting, i switched the cAP AC to quickset home dual AP mode, and applied the same wireless setting, now the upload speed become 200mbps, comparing to CAP mode 400mbps upload, maybe something wrong with the quickset preset or the driver. Will try to switch the hAP AC2 to quickset CAP mode and see if the upload speed back to normal, if so, means that something MikroTik gonna fix

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm

I've confirmed the problem, when I use Quick Set "Home AP Dual", my Wi-Fi upload speed will be 200mbps, if I use Quick Set "CAP", the upload speed will become 400mbps.

All my wireless setting is same, very strange issue.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 pm

I've confirmed the problem, when I use Quick Set "Home AP Dual", my Wi-Fi upload speed will be 200mbps, if I use Quick Set "CAP", the upload speed will become 400mbps.

All my wireless setting is same, very strange issue.
Look for Local Forwarding

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 am

Look for Local Forwarding
Yes I did, those results are local forwarding result, CAPsMAN forwarding result even worse.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 am

What is the difference between "Cap" and "Home ap dual" quickset If you /export compact the configuration?

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:41 pm

What is the difference between "Cap" and "Home ap dual" quickset If you /export compact the configuration?
I will export it once I have free time, my family members start to complaint for the down time recently, and kids starts screaming once the Wi-Fi drops, so I can’t keep doing it now, lol

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 pm

The current solution for me to have high throughput and smooth roaming is:
1. No CAPsMAN
2. Set both APs to AP Bridge mode and Dynamic Mesh with same channel
3. RSTP will handle the rest to avoid loop by using LAN connection as root port(Cost 10) and wireless connection as alternative port(Cost 100)
4. PMKID is the key for fast transfer between APs, by lowering the authentication time, so I will leave it on although I know there are security leak but who cares for home usage?

Now my iPhone can get full 470mbps of download speed and roaming experience is great.

bitomaxsp
just joined

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:06 pm

I have same issues. CAPsMAN is slow as 140Mbps. I'll try it as AP bridge and report here

okw

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:47 pm

The current solution for me to have high throughput and smooth roaming is:
1. No CAPsMAN
2. Set both APs to AP Bridge mode and Dynamic Mesh with same channel
3. RSTP will handle the rest to avoid loop by using LAN connection as root port(Cost 10) and wireless connection as alternative port(Cost 100)
4. PMKID is the key for fast transfer between APs, by lowering the authentication time, so I will leave it on although I know there are security leak but who cares for home usage?

Now my iPhone can get full 470mbps of download speed and roaming experience is great.

Hi! Could you post a "export" of your settings? I too struggle with low throughput with CAPsMan.

Mikuser17
just joined

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:26 am

+1
max 140-160 Mbit/s when using Capsman. Much more without Capsman. Using CAP AC's and Hap AC's
current Ros: 6.44.6 ( tried newer and older Ros too)
no local forwarding, no cpu problem ( maxing around 20% on one core)
We have around 200 AP's with capsman setup but we stopped selling until we have a solution since some customers with high speed connections started to notice.
KR

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:19 pm

+1
max 140-160 Mbit/s when using Capsman. Much more without Capsman. Using CAP AC's and Hap AC's
current Ros: 6.44.6

Sounds like 20MHz only ... are you sure CAPs are configured with 40MHz (or wider) channel?

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 pm

You wanna know the result? Easy, just take one of cAP AC or hAP AC2 and set them the same setup for normal wireless and CAPsMAN, you will see the different. If you result is same, please post your config. Many ppl here (including mikroTik guys) ask us to post our PROBLEMATIC config, why don't you post your problem free config??????

Different place might have different result for wireless due to interference or congestion?? Bull shit! just post it and we will try it out!

Mikuser17
just joined

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Sounds like 20MHz only ... are you sure CAPs are configured with 40MHz (or wider) channel?
The channel settings are default values ( not set) which seems to be ok to me...an example of capsman controlled interfaces:
managed by CAPsMAN
channel: 2412/20-Ce/gn(30dBm), SSID: xxx2, CAPsMAN forwarding
managed by CAPsMAN
channel: 5785/20-eeCe/ac(27dBm), SSID: xxx5, CAPsMAN forwarding
That should correspond to 20/40 & 20/40/80 MHz channels
KR

inteq

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:41 am

It is clear that using capsman slows down wifi a lot.
No matter the config, capsman will be slower. No clue as to why yet and it seems, Mikrotik is also in the dark or they just don't care/know.
If you really need that extra speed, ditch capsman and in the future Mikrotik. That is what I will do when it comes to wifi for future projects.

joaohsenger
just joined

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:02 pm

I have mikrotik in various industries, however it is experiencing extreme slowness, when starting a download or something it has a considerable speed, but after a few minutes the transfer rates do not reach 1 Mbps
I checked the content of this forum and the link
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 920740.pdf
and it's set accordingly, nothing unusual

photosin
just joined

Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:48 pm

Hello, guys!
You can completely get rid of capsman impact on Wi-Fi performance just turning your caps into L2 mode by disabling caps' DHCP client.
Doing this you are almost killing L3 networking load on yours caps.
Recently made tests shows ZERO Wi-Fi speeds degradation both in capsman and local forwarding modes compared to standalone AP.

Be cool!

tiklavirus
just joined

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:24 am

Hello, guys!
You can completely get rid of capsman impact on Wi-Fi performance just turning your caps into L2 mode by disabling caps' DHCP client.
Recently made tests shows ZERO Wi-Fi speeds degradation both in capsman and local forwarding modes compared to standalone AP.

Be cool!
Really helped my setup. Finally feels ok to disable local forwarding.

pitron
just joined

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 am

Hello
I have very similar issue, my CAPsMAN is set on rb951g-2hnd.
2x hAP ac2 as caps and always one of them works OK but second is slow max 173/173Mbps 5GHz.
It does not matter witch one, everytime works fine the first one to take the configuration form CAPsMAN.
I tested different channels without lucky. No performance troubles on rb951g-2hnd.
Local forwarding is enabled. I have Vlans and multi-ssid.

pitron
just joined

Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:59 pm

OK i have answer:
Channels were too wide.
Extension eCee works OK but all caps using the same channel.
I keep it extension XX for my setup.
Not impressive 400/400Mbps but stable and caps using different channels.

luckyluke38
just joined

Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:26 pm

OK i have answer:
Channels were too wide.
Extension eCee works OK but all caps using the same channel.
I keep it extension XX for my setup.
Not impressive 400/400Mbps but stable and caps using different channels.
Pitron, I checked your settings but...it works only once -> after reconnect speed decreased to 173 Mbps . I still don't understand where is the problem ...why mode :40Mhz Turbo is not supported on "CAPs mode " .I've a hap2ac and cap with AC

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 am

Hello, guys!

Be cool!
Could you further elaborate on your recommendation of disabling CAPs DHCP client? Are you meaning to NOT use DHCP-client on the AP device that's configured in CAPs mode? To just set static IP on the AP? Or just leave DHCP disable and let CAPsMAN server provision the AP over L2 [no dhcp needed].???

pitron
just joined

Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:58 am

My problem back with RouterOS 7.1.x
Damn...