Community discussions

MikroTik App

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Google Home devices with MikroTik AC hardware

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 am

Hey guys, I'm working on a problem with the Google smart home gear. I have a client that has Google Home's and Chromecasts in every room. They are having an issue where anytime the AP gets rebooted, the Google devices will not reconnect on their own. The user is forced to power cycle each device. I was unable to solve this issue for them and said I would get back to them.

I purchased 5 of the Google Home Mini's for myself to test with. I'm using an RB4011 as my access point at home and I've found the same issue here. Though my issue seems worse. They do indeed refuse to reconnect when the AP reboots, but mine will also just randomly fall off of the network every 5 to 7 days. Same solution works.. power cycle the google device and it reconnects instantly.

I've tried talking to Google about this and they will not help because I'm using "non-standard" hardware for my network.

Any ideas?

ArtursL
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Google Home devices with MikroTik AC hardware

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 am

Try the latest RouterOS from testing branch. Which currently is 6.46beta28. Please post logs from your RB4011 at the time Google device disconnects from the access point.
Also, you can write to support@mikrotik.com and send supout file from your router. That would speed up receiving help from MikroTik support.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:33 am

I have observed this same behavior long time ago when using Raspberry Pi with cheap noname WiFi USB stick and connecting to RB2011.
I never fully researched it as I presumed it was just a bug in the driver of that stick or some other part of the Linux WiFi stack.
Later I have used Raspberry Pi 3b+ with builtin WiFi and RB2011 and it does not have that problem.

So maybe it is worth it to try a couple of different combinations to see how common this really is.

bobpaul
just joined

Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:12 am

Have you tried to bind your ap's? google home and chromecast to your controller? so.. it will reconnect automatcally without authentication.
Where's this option? I'd like to try this? I've had this problem with my Google Homes for over a year.

I have 3 minis and one of the larger ones and I have to power cycle at least 1 a week because it looses connection and exposes its own accesspoint for configuration. When I've used the Home app to try to give it new connection settings, it doesn't see any of the accesspoints (2.4 nor 5GHz) on my Mikrotik access point (RBcAPGi-5acD2nD), but it can see all the neighbors. Once I power cycle the speaker, it reconnects just fine.