Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

SiteDiscovery
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Repeater help

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:21 pm

I am a newbie on this stuff. I am trying to extend wireless network coverage by using another MikroTik. I have the first unit setup and working perfectly with the hotspot software. I need to add a transparent extension to the wireless network. I need to be able to control access on the first unit with the hotspot software.

How do I do this easily? This is what I need in a nutshell:
1. Add the second Mikrotik
2. Have the second unit pass all traffic to the first one
3. Only one ssid for the clients to connect to
4. Control all access with the hotspot software on the first unit.

Any help is mucho appreciated.

tneumann

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:51 pm

Configure both units to communicate with each other via WDS, create bridges on both units and add the WDS interfaces to the bridges. Run the hotspot on the bridge interface of the first unit.

--Tom

SiteDiscovery
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks Tom!!
I just need a little more info if possible.

On the wlan1 interface menu it has a tab for WDS and some options.

What is the difference between Static and Dynamic WDS?
Do the bridge interface names need to be the same on both units?
Do I want to ignore WDS SSID?

If I just need to read the manual, let me know which one has the info I need in it.

Thanks!!!

SiteDiscovery
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:44 am

I have the following setup:
Primary hotspot is Routerboard 500 v2.9.40 with 1 wlan interface. IP 10.5.50.1/24 00:02:6F:XX:XX:X1. The ether1 interface is IP 192.168.1.100/24.
Secondary hotspot is Routerboard 500 v2.9.40 with 1 wlan interface. IP 10.5.50.2/24 00:02:6F:XX:XX:X2. The ethernet interface is IP 192.168.1.101. I am not planning on hooking this interface up at all.

I want to use the primary hotspot to service clients and manage users.
I want to use the secondary hostpot only to extend the range of the first.

Do I need 2 wlan cards in each router to do this or can I bridge them using one per.

I ask because I have been trying to enable WDS on both units. When I sucessfully enabled WDS: I could not use the hotspot any longer. It simply was not working.

Config on the primary:
/ip address add address=10.5.50.1 interface=wlan1

/interface wireless set wlan1 add disabled=no mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2412 ssid=Hotspot wds-mode=static

/interface wireless wds add disabled=no wds-address=00:02:6F:XX:XX:X2 master-interface=wlan1

/interface bridge add

/interface bridge port add interface=wlan1 bridge=bridge1
/interface bridge port add interface=wds1 bridge=bridge1

Config on the secondary:
/interface wireless set wlan1 disabled=no mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2412 ssid=Hotspot wds-mode-static

/interface wireless wds add disabled=no wds-address=00:02:6F:XX:XX:X1 master-interface=wlan1

/interface bridge add
/interface bridge port add interface=wlan1 bridge=bridge1
/interface bridge port add interface=wds1 bridge=bridge1
/ip address add address=10.5.50.2/24 interface wlan1

Help!!

tneumann

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:18 am

What is the difference between Static and Dynamic WDS?
Dynamic WDS is mostly useful when you have a changing (dynamic) number of WDS peers, such as in a growing/changing mesh network.

In your situation I'd suggest static WDS.
Do the bridge interface names need to be the same on both units?
No, does not matter.
Do I want to ignore WDS SSID?
No, probably not, though it won't matter much in your case.

--Tom

tneumann

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:30 am

Do I need 2 wlan cards in each router to do this or can I bridge them using one per.
Two WLAN cards (one for backbone (AP-to-AP) and the other for clients) is the cleanest solution and offers the best performance, but it is also possible to run inter-AP-WDS and clients on the same radio; but keep in mind that this is half-duplex, so access and backhaul on the same radio kind of gets in its own way performance wise...
I ask because I have been trying to enable WDS on both units. When I sucessfully enabled WDS: I could not use the hotspot any longer. It simply was not working.
That's because you messed it up :wink:

You should not configure IP addresses on physical interfaces that are ports of a bridge (such as wlan1 in your case). Configure IP on the bridge interface instead, and then also run the hotspot on that bridge interface and not on any of the other interfaces.

If you already have a hotspot on wlan1 or some other physical interface then you'd need to get rid of it, including all IP pool and DHCP server definitions that may have been created by /ip hotspot setup on top of that physical interface.

--Tom

SiteDiscovery
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:30 am

You are right. I messed it up.. I just want to be clear on what I would need to try..

I currently have the primary unit running great as a hotspot. It is handing out IP's and asking for logins. I am going to break this and configure the primary and secondary units as follows:

I have configured wds dynamic on both units. I set the secondary unit to wdsslave. I removed the IP from the wlan1 interface on that unit.

On the primary unit, I started back at square one. I reset it back to factory default. I programmed my ether1 interface and a default gateway. I created a bridge interface called wdsbridge. I assigned an ip to wdsbridge.

I setup wlan1 with an ssid of 'HotSpot'. I set the freq to 2412 and the band to 2.4ghz-b/g. I enabled dynamic WDS. I left everything else default.

I setup a dhcp pool linked to wdsbridge.
I setup the hotspot to use wdsbridge and dhcp pool.

I cannot access the hotspot. I can see it in my wireless list, but I cannot get the hotspot login page, ip address, or any access on it. What did I miss?

Thanks for all the info so far!

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:25 am

I think the one setting you are missing is the "wds-default-bridge" parameter on each of the wlan interfaces - set it to the name of the bridge interface ("bridge1" by default). Go back to the config using static WDS, manually defining these interfaces/wds-address, and adding them to the bridge. Static mode will work better for you if both APs are in ap-bridge mode. Also, you may or may not have problems with standard wifi clients connecting to an AP in wds-slave mode...I'd set this back to ap-bridge mode too.

SiteDiscovery
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:39 am

I figured it out. I had a phantom interface listed in the bridge list. I could not see it in the GUI, but in the command line I had an "unknown" bridge. When I removed that, it all started working like a charm..

Thanks for all the help!!!