MikroTik App

sjoram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VirtualAP Bridging

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:27 am

I have a RB750Gr3 running as a router.

This has several VLANs on the LAN side, one of which is VLAN 10. This connects to a HP switch via a tagged port. I have another tagged port set up for the hAP AC2.

I've managed to configure the virtual AP (there will eventually be several SSIDs/VLANs) and clients will associate, but will not obtain a DHCP address from the DHCP server. The DHCP server is a Windows server running in VLAN 10 connected to the HP switch.

I've tried various configurations, but cannot make it work. Any suggestions on where I am going wrong?

I tried creating the VLANs on the ether2 interface and adding them to the existing bridge (with an IP address on the VLAN, I could connect to Webfig/Winbox from another machine on the VLAN.
Looking at forum posts and the WIki, I tried removing the VLANs and adding to the bridge, with the hAP AC2 mangement IP address in VLAN 10 assigned to the 2.4GHz radio interface. I could not connect to it in that configuration.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VirtualAP Bridging

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:56 am

Try to post complete running config of hAP ac2 ... use /export hide-sensitive and don't obfuscate too much. Without that we can only guess what you configured and what not.

sjoram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:19 pm

I worked out where I went wrong.

I thought I'd assigned the VLANs to the physical LAN interface facing my switch on the RB750Gr3. I hadn't, they were assigned to the bridge.

When I replicated this on the wireless unit, clients connected as expected.

A little disappointed in the range of 5GHz band (and the 2.4GHz isn't amazing), but that's a different story. Need to compare the 2.4GHz performance against previous b/g Cisco APs.

sjoram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:13 pm

OK, so one of the virtual APs is working in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. But I've just tried to connect to another. The client appears to associate without issue, but fails to obtain DHCP.
This was working fine on previous APs and nothing has changed on the LAN/router besides the wireless hardware (previously Cisco).

sjoram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:26 pm

Ended up locking myself out and having to factory reset.

Got it working using this as a guide - https://blog.ligos.net/2018-01-01/Mikro ... -VLAN.html