MikroTik App

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

WDS without the W

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:33 am

Hi all,
I'm hoping to install some APs to cover a large complex with wireless. Users will be using laptops and so will be roaming from one AP to another quite often. However, I do not want to use WDS as there is already Cat5 running through the buildings and I can simply have each AP connected directly, minimizing any performance losses associated with going through many WDS links.

However, would seamless roaming still work in this scenario? It's a requirement that the clients are able to walk around and roam from one AP to another without losing connectivity.

gtrappmann
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:21 am

hi....

shure you can....you only have to prevent overlapping channels...

regards

gerd

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:27 am

So if everything is configured with the same ssid, roaming is automatic? If the APs are on different channels, I don't see how a client can seamlessly roam without having to change frequencies to check for a new AP...

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Roaming is more a function of the client than the AP.
The difference in frequency isn't going to be as much of an issue as DHCP client.

When set to static IP, I can swap between AP's without ever missing a beat playing an MP3 over a network share. When set to DHCP, it drops connection for at least 1 second releasing and renewing the IP.