Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to optimize CAPsMan?

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Hope someone could shed some light and point me in the right direction!

I have a working CAPsMan installation which controls about 15 units. WiFi generally works very well, but I came to the wall in a large storage area. I have a situation where devices seem to have very high signal levels, yer fall out or have weak transfer rather often. I also get stuff like failed 4-way handshake on good signal, etc.

As I haven't defined any specific channels, and devices select a range of channels, like: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 11. Also, I left the devices without setting the power transmit levels to get max power, however that doesn't seem to work that well. While I seem to have loads of signal, devices seem to be too weak to send to the AP itself.

How can I diagnose the issues at hand and what to do to fix them? I tried using the access list to allow and limit access, but that didn't work that well, not sure how the signal level is calculated: *from* device or *to* (how?) device.

This is my first larger installation, so I would appreciate some help on how to set everything to work stable. THANKS! :-)

This is the config:
# sep/04/2019 20:06:15 by RouterOS 6.44.5
# model = RouterBOARD 3011UiAS
/caps-man configuration
add channel.band=2ghz-onlyn channel.control-channel-width=20mhz channel.extension-channel=disabled channel.reselect-interval=1h channel.save-selected=yes \
    comment="2.4GHz DILCOM / MASTER" country=no_country_set datapath.bridge=WiFi-DILCOM distance=indoors installation=indoor mode=ap name=DILCOM \
    security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk security.encryption=aes-ccm security.passphrase=superpass ssid=DILCOM
add datapath.bridge=WiFi-GOSTI mode=ap name=GUESTS security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk security.encryption=aes-ccm security.passphrase=superpass \
    ssid=GUESTS
add datapath.bridge=DILCOM mode=ap name="LINK 2.4GHz" security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk security.encryption=aes-ccm security.passphrase=\
    KongPass ssid=LINK
add datapath.bridge=WiFi-WAREHOUSE mode=ap name=WAREHOUSE security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk security.encryption=aes-ccm security.group-key-update=15m \
    security.passphrase=Frog12! ssid=WAREHOUSE
add channel.band=5ghz-onlyac channel.extension-channel=disabled channel.reselect-interval=1h channel.save-selected=yes comment="5GHz LINK / MASTER" country=\
    no_country_set datapath.bridge=DILCOM distance=dynamic installation=any name="LINK 5GHz" security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk security.encryption=\
    aes-ccm security.passphrase=FrogX ssid=LINK
/caps-man aaa
set called-format=mac:ssid interim-update=disabled mac-caching=disabled mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX mac-mode=as-username
/caps-man access-list
#next three rules are not used
add allow-signal-out-of-range=10s ap-tx-limit=1000000 comment="GUESTS limit, 500k -> 3.5MB/s" disabled=no ssid-regexp=GUESTS
add action=reject allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=yes interface=all signal-range=-120..-80 ssid-regexp=""
add action=accept allow-signal-out-of-range=10s disabled=yes interface=all signal-range=-79..120 ssid-regexp=""
/caps-man manager
set ca-certificate=auto certificate=auto enabled=yes package-path=/capsman require-peer-certificate=no upgrade-policy=suggest-same-version
/caps-man manager interface
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=no forbid=yes interface=all
add disabled=no forbid=no interface=DILCOM
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled common-name-regexp="" disabled=no hw-supported-modes=gn identity-regexp="" ip-address-ranges="" master-configuration=\
    DILCOM name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=CAP-2.4GHz radio-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 slave-configurations="WAREHOUSE,GUESTS,LINK 2.4GHz"
add action=create-dynamic-enabled common-name-regexp="" disabled=no hw-supported-modes=ac identity-regexp="" ip-address-ranges="" master-configuration=\
    "LINK 5GHz" name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=CAP-5GHz radio-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 slave-configurations=DILCOM

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: How to optimize CAPsMan?  [SOLVED]

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:10 pm

This was posted as a reply to one of my wifi questions recently, might help you
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 286214.pdf

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: How to optimize CAPsMan?

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks, this looks fantastic. I just played a bit with my local wifi, and throughput actually improved immediately by fiddling settings.

What issue did you have?

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Not CapsMan as such, but crowded WiFi issue, see topic viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151772&p=748156#p748156

Still studying the doc and planning deployment...

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 pm

OK, so I have managed to solve my issue.

This document is probably the most helpful practical document on specific issues that I have ever read. That said, this is what I have done to fix my issue;
  • I have made rates profile and set basic rate to 12mbps, and supported rates from 12-54
  • I have created channels profile, and set frequencies at 2412, 2437 and 2462 (1, 6 and 11), channel width to 20, disabled extension, and set the initial tx power to 14, also turned on save selected and set reselect to 10 min
  • in configuration I utilized those settings without overriding them, and set Distance and Installation to Indoors; country was not set (not needed)
These settings immediately improved situation by orders of magnitude. The situation was already almost ideal, so I went to test and experiment some more on working system, while people were working (announced the test).

I downloaded WiFi Explorer free for mac, which proved a fantastic tool, and am now considering buying paid version. The tool is very useful to analyze channel situation.

I also bought the WiFi Signal tool, which is _FANTASTIC_. It helps visualize, in almost real time, the noise / signal relationship. I used this tool extensively during 7 hours of tuning and testing today. Its history graph is most helpful to determine switchover from AP to AP during roaming.

I put the channel and other settings also on slave interfaces, as it seems that slave SSID interfaces can actually run on B standard even if master is set to GN/N. At least that is what the configuration menu shown, it might be that the CAP Interface menu only shown that, but that in practice it was Master settings which were actually running live. Haven't measured on this.

After this, I walked around eyeing the WiFi signal and the devices that connect to WiFi. I reduced the signal level down as much as I could to achieve fast spontaneous switchovers when roaming. When I got to Tx Power at 20, I noticed decrease in SNR so I raised that value to 19. To be clear here, the listed signal level was never what you would call fantastic, I always got 1-2, sometimes 3 WiFi bars, however transfer speeds and stability improved dramatically. I ended up having almost no dropouts whatsoever, with whatever device, in entire area. The SNR I got couldn't be called stellar and depended a lot on me moving, standing and the AP connected to, but the real world performance is what counts and that was great.

I also tried setting basic rate to 18 Mbps, but that didn't prove well, as I ended up having signal drops in weakly covered areas. That is when I raised signal for 1 db and put back the 12Mbps basic rate.

Last thing I tried were the Access Lists, set to allow/reject at 79/80 db. This didn't work well, at all as handheld devices have seen signal disconnections, which were not there before. I also have seen this on my measuring notebook (MBP 2011). When I turned this off (and deleted the rules for good measure), everything was back. The conclusion was that you have to play with your specific situation and modify the signal levels so the roaming works by itself without forceful kicking of clients.

So, there you have it. :-)

Thanks a TON for this presentation!

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am

@mrmut Thank you for such detailed feedback

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm

No biggie. Altho I spent four full days on this issue, I doubt I would be able to fix this so fast. I presume I would be still testing there if weren't for that document, so I wanted to help someone else practically.

I would appreciate if you can ping me back when you solve your issue. I am really interested to learn what setup worked for you.

Thanks!