Community discussions

MikroTik App

neutronlaser
Topic Author

Mikrotik Audience Availability

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:56 pm

When will the Mikrotik Audience be available to purchase in the US? And is it also available to buy in the UK yet?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik Audience Availability

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:42 pm

take it with a grain of salt

new devices comes with their own issues, and take some time to be resolved

i recommend to wait at least 2 months after introduction to market, to include a new device in a serious project

neutronlaser
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 pm

lol ok

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm

So it´s here:
https://mikrotik.com/product/audience
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/Audience-1568187060.pdf

256MB RAM + 128MB ROM: Does Audience even run standard RouterOS 6?

Nice:
For 2.4Gz: IPQ4019 (2x2:2)
For 5.0GHz: IPQ4019 (2x2:2) + QCA9984 (4x4:4) + 802.3at in

Now please give me a wall mounting version. Can I use it as cAP?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 pm

i recommend to wait at least 2 months after introduction to market, to include a new device in a serious project
2 months??? wAP ACs took nearly a year to get stable numbers.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:25 pm

In that specific case, a special situation is presented, which was the incorporation of a new ipq4xxx platform and a massive support for the ARM architecture

but your words bring trueness, every new product comes with their own challenges

neutronlaser
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Just
want
product
not
moans

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 pm

In that specific case, a special situation is presented, which was the incorporation of a new ipq4xxx platform and a massive support for the ARM architecture

Are you sure you are talking about wAP ac and not cAP ac? The wAP ac is MIPSBE, not ARM.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 pm

Are you sure you are talking about wAP ac and not cAP ac? The wAP ac is MIPSBE, not ARM.

you are right

neutronlaser
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:10 am

Take my money

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Yeah the wAP AC was a terrible WAP when it first released. The processor in it wont allow it to get anywhere near the 866 that it should. And when it first came out... 35 M was the standard. After months and months of updates they got it around 180M.

The cAP ac had similar results out of the gate and can now get into the low 300s. But... I am seeing way too many disconnect messages and finding that it just can't handle crowded environments. Mikrotik was able to reproduce the problem and emailed after I posted enough times that "THEY DON'T GET BACK TO ME", that they currently have no fix.

I found a fix. I paid the $200 difference out of pocket to get a Ruckus R510 in the same spot. It had no problems keeping clients connected.

Disclosure... I have tried to work with Mikrotik on wireless problems a few times before. Support would send me one email PER MONTH, will things to "TRY". I finally gave up on that install as it would have a radio just refuse to accept clients. Pulled it and swapped to Ruckus... complaints stopped.

Last month... client was complaining about his remotes not staying connected to the wifi... and every weekend it would not connect at all. Found it was at its worse when they had a weekly street vendor event. Saw a lot more wireless interference... swap out Tik WAP... Problem solved.

On the most recent replacement... client was calling constantly about low throughput and connection issues. Swapped manufactures... problem solved again.

I love Mikrotiks as routers... but as WAPs... just too many "gotchas". After trying and hoping customers would be ok with the caveats... THEY WERE NOT!

I wasted a ton of time writing cool scripts and schedules tests for caps-man managed systems.
Cutting off the Guest SSID when the primary gateway goes down.
Timers for when SSIDs would broadcast.
Schedules to adjust for time on specific days. (Schedules only happen at a time... I wasted time writing scripts that would check day vs time every 5 minutes. So if you turned the router on it would not miss a schedule as it would constantly check schedule vs state.)
Per client bandwidth limiting
Private PSK for company managers to allow for removal off one person and not having to use anything like Active Directory or change the password on every device around the building.
Etc
etc
etc

Trust me... I am not happy that I have to remove Mikrotik wireless from all my bids. And I keep having to replace the installs I put in at cost to "make the customer happy".
Last edited by gotsprings on Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neutronlaser
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:09 pm

cool story bro

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 pm

The cAP ac [...] it just can't handle crowded environments.
So, I use cAP ac devices in crowded environments, i.e. lecture rooms, libraries, ... with a lof of students and those are complaining since I set them up. Would it be possible to send me your correspondence with MikroTik via private message?
Private PSK for company managers to allow for removal off one person and not having to use anything like Active Directory or change the password on every device around the building.
Could you please publish this script?

I really hope that with RouterOS 7 and its new kernel all performance problems vanish, Unfortunately VLAN tagging doesn´t work currently: viewforum.php?f=1

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:06 am

it just can't handle crowded environments
have you tried configuration specific for high density ?

i have not tested cap ac in high density scenarios, but other mikrotik (rb95iui, hap ac lite) worked well up to 40-50 client per radio, the key factor was design, locating ap taking advantage of site to limit their coverage thus limit amount of users to serve in their coverage area

and configuration:
low tx power to limit cell size
higher 5ghz radio tx power to persuade clients to prefer 5ghz radio (when ap has 5ghz radio)
select data-rates to disable lower data-rates to limit cell size and improve airtime usage
access-list to limit cell size and ensure only good signal clients are connected and refuse far user to persuade them to connect to other ap closer to them.
QoS to improve user experience

neutronlaser
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:37 am

just want to buy the darn thing they say is for sale

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:16 am

According to my distributor, shipping date for Mikrotik's Audience is currently set for 10-09-2019.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Chechito:
Environments where there are other wireless networks is when it really crumbles.

I have managed to keep 50 clients connected to a cAP AC or hAP AC. But if there is a lot of wireless around you that isn't your... You get all sorts of disconnect messages.

Anuser:
Private PSK is a function of access lists in wireless. You can find it there.

The interference rendering the radio useless... normis addressed it publicly in a post.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=149112

neutronlaser
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:40 pm

According to my distributor, shipping date for Mikrotik's Audience is currently set for 10-09-2019.
Thank you