Community discussions

MikroTik App

ParaHandy
just joined
Topic Author

CAP AC - splitting 2.4 and 5G neworks.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm

I have a CAP AC in bridge mode - I would like to split the 2.4G and 5G networks and make the 2.4G network a guest network with a cap on the bandwidth?
Is this something I can do in bridge mode or do I need to turn on the router functionality in the CAP AC?
And if so is there a simple guide for a simple man?

ta

PH

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CAP AC - splitting 2.4 and 5G neworks.

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 pm

You can start off by switching the QuickSet mode to "Home AP dual". Then set the 2GHz interface to some other network name (SSID), like Guest something. Then leave the QuickSet menu (once it's applied and working fine) and go into the Bridge menu on the left side. There, remove the 2GHz (wlan1) interface from the bridge ports. Then you can make a different IP address for this interface, add a different DHCP server on it, and use firewall to block access to your internal resources.

Not knowing how much experience you have, this is a very broad suggestion, of course. Let us know how far you get on your own, then ask for more help :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 pm

And very important: once you have done such things, never visit the QuickSet menu again. And if you do, ignore the "errors" or wrong values you see there and do not attempt to correct them, because that will seriously foul up the config. Just never hit OK or Apply on that menu again.

(just a generic warning about using QuickSet)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Interesting I have two capacs in my house.
Upstairs capac has four VLANS (default vlan1 settings kept), vlan12 (house LAN), vlanXX guest wifi, vlanYY smart devices

homelan - 5ghz
guest wifi- virtual WLAN 5ghz
smart devices - 2ghz.

I use the capac as a bridge and dont do anything funky other than change the setup up to AP-WISP or whatever the setting is. Didnt use HOME-AP Dual.
In other words use the capac for all the wifi settings and to mark the packets with the appropriate vlan number. By using the DHCP of my main router and vlans, I can control everything at the router.
Just another option.

ParaHandy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm very much a beginner so I'm sure more help will be required. It is great to have people willing to share experience and knowledge. Much appreciated. PH