Community discussions

MikroTik App

srosen
just joined
Topic Author

PTMP Wireless Wire Dish?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:15 am

I have two locations at about 1000m distance that are within a few degrees of each other. Since they're too far to do comfortably with a WAP60G AP and LHG60s as clients, I was considering the possibility of using a Wireless Wire Dish as an AP.

Is it possible to take a Wireless Wire Dish (RBLHGG-60ad), upgrade the license to Level 4, and use it as an AP in a PTMP configuration?

If not, I'd need to do 2 separate PTP links with Wireless Wire Dish Kits. In that case, how close (physically) can the two units be on the tower (assuming that I use 58320 for one pair, and 64800 for the other)?

marekm

Re: PTMP Wireless Wire Dish?

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 pm

A few degrees is probably too wide, even if it was allowed by the license.
If you put two radios close to each other, you need some shielding between them (just like with 5 or 2.4 GHz) - even on extreme channels of the band, there will be co-location interference. I had such experience with a wAP60 (PtMP) and LHG60 (PtP), each one separately performed well, but poorly when both were active at the same time. Good RF filters are expensive and physically large, so you don't find them in cheap and miniature (mostly integrated on-chip) radios. It would be nice to see some sync option where all co-located APs can transmit for half of the time, then receive half of the time - then they could even re-use the same channel (and in this case no GPS is needed - have each radio listen to beacons sent by others, like NV2 sync).

srosen
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Thank you for that information and your experience with the colocated LHG60 and WAP60.

I probably should have been more specific about the angle between the two clients. They're actually 2 degrees between the two clients as seen from the AP. I had noticed that the beam forming nature of the LHG60s I've deployed make them surprisingly tolerant of misalignment, so this is why I wondered about using the RBLHGG-60ad as a PTMP AP for fairly closely aligned clients.

Do you know if upgrading the RBLHGG-60ad to Level 4 would allow multiple clients to connect to it, or is this beyond the capabilities of it's chipset?

sniper113
just joined

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:43 am

According to my 6oghz mikrotik equipment dealer, it is mentioned that it is not necessary to keep both teams away in a same tower and not use the same channel since working on another frequency does not affect the ghz or the 60 ghz and enemy to overcome is the rain and the distance I currently have two 60ghz links in the same tower since the idea is to take the internet to a distance of 2.1km and I had to use 2 pairs of 60ghz I do not see any interference in them except that the alignment and line of view if the link is hindering me.

srosen
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 am

For those who may be curious - I decided to go ahead and risk my $45 for the Level 4 license upgrade. It looks like it is possible to use the LHG60 as a PTMP AP. I successfully connected 2 LHG 60 clients on a bench test (no dishes installed - just the radio units sitting on top of desks about 3 meters apart). So, at least in an indoor environment, it does work. The only "glitch" I ran into is that I had to change the LHG that is the AP to "AP Bridge" mode (from "Bridge" mode).

Next week I'll try deploying this setup in the field and will advise what, if any, problems I have with it.

srosen
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:12 am

I deployed my test setup for a local golf course and maintenance yard. They only needed about 100 Mbps, so I figured that there was a good chance this setup would give them adequate bandwidth.
The two client SUs were at 410 meters and 650 meters, and were separated by about 14 degrees. Each of the clients ended up connecting at 2.3 Gbps, and actual throughput was around 1.7 Gbps. Signal strengths were around -60 for each of them.

Unfortunately, I was running late and didn't have a chance to document everything I wanted, so I can't provide better information. But, the bottom line is that this setup worked - even though the two client radios were fairly widely separated as seen from the AP.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Have you aligned the nain AP in the middle of 14° angle?

srosen
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 am

I slightly biased it towards the farther antenna, but pretty close to the midpoint.

richinuk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:49 am

Nice @srosen. I've been wondering about the exact same setup where I wanted to spotlight a particular building @ ~1km with something high gain. The wiki (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/W60G) tells me the LHG (and upcoming nRAY) will do 3 degrees of spread which at 1km gives me ~50m diameter which is sufficient. Interesting that you're getting link at 14 degrees spread.

Thanks for the info!