MikroTik App

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Ubiquiti Networks stability issue timeout

Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:27 am

hello guys

from my tests on the ubnt radios i noticed that its not stable at all with omni direction ( we dont need high power on directional and p2p link)

i tried 2 SR2 and 2 XR-2 and 3 diffrent boards 6 antennas even 2 kind of enclusers 3 diffrent kind of POE

ubi always always always having pinging issue's

i m not sure if its mikrotik faulty or ubnt faulity

please if anyone confirm that and vote untill we got an answer from mikrotik or from ubnt
to be clear mikrotik working well with non ubnt cards

and once its not supported by mikrotik then ubnt doesnt have the right to write that it has been tested on mikrotik and dd-wrt

the problem is i install SR2 and XR2 for vip clients thats way i lost them

i was saying senao cards is very bad and bugy but honstly after i tried the ubnt cards i just can say :) :) :)

anyone could confirm what i m saying or just tell me whats wrong with me (100% all my setup is gr8 not 99.99998%)

as i can see mikrotik isnt aggressive for the wireless part on there software we are always got interferance answer

can MT guys answer me this question

why the pinging always higher than regular cheap access points??

why dont we achive @ least the same latency of cheap access points??

but we stuck with 2.9.38 its the best

chvdr

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:23 pm

same problems with sr2.
xr2 i have never seen.

regards,
C. G.

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:35 pm

even when using version 2.9.38 after 3-5 hours of working i m start getting very high latency why this should happend

anyone could confirm or deny this??

why mikrotik = high pinging
cheap AP= good pinging rate

is it very hard to fix?
is it XR-2 faulty?
is it my fault?
is it my location
is it my POE

i tried this very very much but no success to make the AP stable

why there is no super update will help us to fix this things

NZLamb

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:16 pm

I've noticed this too with the SR2. It doesn't seem to be affected by the antenna or cabling type.

The only thing I've noticed is that it seems worse on the higher channels (about 10 and up) and the latency often improves when the transmit power is set to about 23dBm.

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:10 pm

very disappointing solution

NZLamb

Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:41 pm

I should add that it is only the SR2 that I have this problem with, all other cards I have tried are fine including the SR5.

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:31 pm

mmmmmm i dont know whats wrong it drive me crazy man
also its only operation on channel 2412 and 2462

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:34 am

mmmmmm i dont know whats wrong it drive me crazy man
also its only operation on channel 2412 and 2462
----
Hai friend..
don't crazy man...., must be relax.. :wink: this little screen shot from my ap, RB5xx+R52+Omni 15,4 dbi

peace all
Hasbullah.com
----

chvdr

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 am

do you put some bandwidth limitations there. problem we talking about is that if smb. start downloading, there is unstable behaviour of sr2 with other customers.

best regards,
C. G.

jdmarti1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

SR2 not a problem

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:45 am

We have 4 towers with SR2 cards and Pac Wireless omni antennas. They are rock solid for us. One of them is in a very high noise environment. I would say though - that is you are in a high noise environment, the SR2 has great Rx specs, poor links on your part, will cause problems. BTW - We have had them up since the SR2 debuted - so we are nearing 2 years now.

kthameen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

salam taloot

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 pm

well first of all i would like to know your enviroment if its crowded ornot coz the cards your testing have more rx gain then other cards in the market which will coz u more interference with an omni directional than any other card.But forsure we can tweak your link to have the best results ,just tell me how much data will be on the link,distance and signal level,

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:50 pm

hi i need 1mb @ least
distance is 5 km

chvdr

Re: salam taloot

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:20 pm

well first of all i would like to know your enviroment if its crowded ornot coz the cards your testing have more rx gain then other cards in the market which will coz u more interference with an omni directional than any other card.But forsure we can tweak your link to have the best results ,just tell me how much data will be on the link,distance and signal level,
my issue: 10 custommers, 2Mbps each, 1,5km max distance

thanks,
C. G.

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:23 pm

from my experince with ubnt cards

it works well inside the city
but outside and remote area that has no wireles @ all its bugy with them

whats that could lead?

wifi
just joined

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:49 am

We had same issue. 1x sr5 for backhaul, 1x sr2 for client, RB532, MT 2.9.42. CPE= linksys wrt54gs and dd-wrt v23 sp2. Dropped client connection every 5-10 minutes. Tried every possible trick in the book, even bought 1watt amp but this made it worse. Finally tried opposite approach, instead of adding more power, reduced power on sr2 down to 17dbm, WELL HALLELUJAH !!!, have not dropped a client since. pointless using sr2 for power, might as well go back to cm9 or senao ext2. (b-only)

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 pm

so the SR2 and XR2 is uesless??

anyway i tried a taiwaness 500mw radio

guys really the ubnt radios is uesless EXtremly uesless

ues amplifre with R52 i think it will be much better than power hangry cards
anyway i have an order of 25 AP but i refused to supply him with extremely high priced card + unstable at all its even higher price than Routerboard it self

even when i sent i a support mail to mikrotik they reply to me and said they are not the munfaturer for the card

one thing i want to know is it really work gr8 for you guys??

where is mike-ubnt he gone?

doesnt have a word on this?

why its good in indoor and extremely baaaad on outdoor?

Mike-Ubiquiti

Thu May 03, 2007 1:21 am

Hello Taloot,

I have been trying to recreate your issues, but have been unsuccessful at best.

I have many user's who do not experience problems with XR2, SR2. I have testbeds set up over varying links that have had no issues.

Have you tried another XR2 or SR2 card or are you basing all analysis off of one card?

What brand of cables/antenna/enclosure are you using? What is the match of the antenna? Please if you can be specific about your setup I can better try and analyze what is going on.

Also, I do not frequent these baords often, I do apologize. I have been extremely busy as of late, so I do apologize for the delay in getting a response.

As always you can email me @ support@ubnt.com if it is an urgent matter.

I look forward to hearing form you,

Mike

exebug

SR 2 Problems

Thu May 03, 2007 11:39 am

I had the same problem with 2 differnet sr 2 cards, clients came back up for about a day then disconnect, I then have to disable and enable the card about 50 times then the clients started coming back, I even replaced the card with new one and same problem, then earthed the card to the tower, thought it might be static, but same problem, i even replaced the routerboard, same problem

I replaced the card with 8602, All problems gone all 60 clients registered and logged in within 2 minutes no prob, any ideas of what may cause this???? :?:

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 am

i tried 2 xr-2 and 2 SR2

rb133 rb112

hyperlink 15dbi
pheneet 15dbi

all, have no stable pinging why another card is stable?? and SR2 and xr2 isn't
we need a help guys

have you tried the diffrent between 2.9.38 and 2.9.42 why .39 is more stable??

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 04, 2007 6:35 am

Taloot, you are probably overdriving your clients. You have posted many times in the past about similar issues and seem to run into a lot of problems because you are using too much antenna gain or too much power. Try a lower gain antenna and drop your power down some. The XR2 radios work very well for us with a manual power setting of 13dB (which appears to be 23dB). Bigger does not always mean Better.

* Slight thread hijack *

So, Mikrotik or Ubiquiti, can one or both of you clear up what power settings are what when manually setting the power of a XR2 and SR2? It appears that a manual setting of 17dB on the XR2 is 27dB real power, but is 13dB manual actually 23dB? There is a 10dB difference when running /interface wireless monitor wlanX. Anyone care to clarify this?

mipland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 04, 2007 11:20 am

Hy. From Ubiquiti www site, you can view this PDF: http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/SRXR_power_offset.pdf.
On that PDF, the declared offset between manual txpower and real txpower, is +10dB for SR2 and XR2.

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2007 8:22 pm

then why should i buy and give proposal for 600mw??

lets say 200mw and finish

FYI i uesd and tried 500mw overboost it to 29dbm working up and stable as rock for 5 days now

why is taiwan engineer better than USA Engineer???

why all this advertisments on the ubnt hardware?

why should i pay alot of money for GSM rejection and bala bala bala

Can anyone from you guys tell me why is 2.9.38 is diffrent than 2.9.42???

if you could tell me i will be greatfull :)

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Why on a cloudy day is the sky grey?

Why on a clear sunny day is the sky blue?

Clear days are not necessarily better than cloudy days.
Some people move thousands of miles to environments where it is cloudy most days of the year.
Why is this?

In the case above some people have skin conditions, and the clear sunny days can KILL them.

2.9.38 is prefered by some, and 2.9.42 is prefered by others.
42 is supposed to be an enhancement on 38, but sometimes enhancements impede on older features, etc.

Preference ultimately comes down to the requirements, and not much more than that.

600mw radios solve many problems, they can also create problems.
200mw radios are quite capable, and versatile, but not necessarily robust enough.

EDIT:

Although many of the products come from taiwan, does not mean the engineering was done there!! Much of the engineering comes from US, Europe, and Canada.

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2007 3:04 am

keep in mind guys that i really like mikrotik and ubnt hardware but i m looking for a fix

btw tgrand do you have XR-2 installed and running??

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 07, 2007 9:15 am

To: taloot

YES! it works great. 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Don't know! I never have problems so I don't need him.

Humm, I use them for hotel hotspots and ptmp outdoor networks.

NO! again their great cards for me :)

I'm not sure why you are having these problems. It's just to hard to guess. I do know that I have tried all kinds of cards and the SR2 and SR5 have been better in big cities, hotels and rural areas.
Now sure I've had problems here and there but I have always found a way to make things work. Now that most of my CPEs and all of my APs are Mikrotik with Ubiquiti, I don't have a network that make me crazy. It just works. Hell, I even go on two week vacations without worrying about the network going down.

ghmorris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 07, 2007 2:30 pm

To: taloot

YES! it works great. 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Don't know! I never have problems so I don't need him.

Humm, I use them for hotel hotspots and ptmp outdoor networks.

NO! again their great cards for me :)

I'm not sure why you are having these problems. It's just to hard to guess. I do know that I have tried all kinds of cards and the SR2 and SR5 have been better in big cities, hotels and rural areas.
Now sure I've had problems here and there but I have always found a way to make things work. Now that most of my CPEs and all of my APs are Mikrotik with Ubiquiti, I don't have a network that make me crazy. It just works. Hell, I even go on two week vacations without worrying about the network going down.
Agreed completely. We use XR2s outdoors in PtMP networks, works great.

I talk to Mike at UBNT probably three times per week, he's easy to reach.

Our network (over 600 MTs now) works very well. CM9s, RB52s, XR2s, SR9s, SR5s, mainly on RB hardware. Still some legacy Trango, some legacy x86 hardware, but less all the time.

Only get problems with severe icing or lightning, otherwise it just works.

The ONLY thing that peeves me about MT is their insistence on building for their own hardware, then being slow about it. I covet the ADI Metro boards, but I guess we will get an equivalent eventually.

George

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Yes,

I am having GREAT success using these cards.
They work *FLAWLESSLY*.

I had some issues with an ROS version and 5MHz wide channels using these cards, but not an issue with the hardware.

Running them on 9dbOmnis with 7deg downtilt.
noise floor is <-100 on all my units in area where there are 3-4 Wisps.

Have had links of 15Kms to these access points using nothing more than an LS2 and a 15dB panel, with no problems.
The area is well treed.

Several Antenna support structures with an AP on each one.

All work flawlessly.

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi jober,

Can you please tell us more about your setup?

I would like also to have a vacation without problems!!! :P

Bye
KO, Humm, where do I start?
My APs are Rb532s and they have two radios, one SR2 and one SR5, these are connected to RadioWave DualBand 90* sector antennas (the ant. has two N type connectors one for 2.4 and one for 5.8). Most of my towers have 48Vdc ran up them with RF cable to power the radios and switch's. I don't bridge much of anything anymore. I'm not saying it's bad, Just that I don't do it to much. I have the Data rate set to 24 on the AP and CPEs. I use 10mhz on the 5.8 APs and 5mhz 2.4 APs except for the Hotspot which use 20mhz on ch1 and 11. Channel 6 is broke into 4X5mhz over 4 sectors.
We route the whole network with a little help from ospf. each AP radio has it's own private /24 and the main router too. The main router has NAT and ospf setup with some firewall rules to route the /24 of publics to the customers. The APs have the access list to lock the speeds down.

The CPEs are all being install the same way now. For these CPEs we use RB532s with a SR5 or now XR5 with a 24dbi panel to connect to the tower and then we have a SR2 or XR2 with a 9dbi omni for the hotspot. The CPE have a public /32 IP and the preferred source is set to that with the gateway being the private network. This was just a way for us to save IP's. We did have every thing running on public IP's and they were broke up all over the place. It was not easy to wrap my noodle around this network design but with Gerard's help setting it all up it seems so easy now. LOL NOT!

Anyway, moving on to New Orleans.
I have a little different setup in the big easy. The noise floor sucks, so I use 24dbi panels and 26dbi grids for all the APs and the radios are all 5.8, two per board. The boards I use there are VIA500mhz fanless x86 with a PCI to mini-PCI adapter. When MT gets the new high power boards out I may change the VIAs to them. I have two of the APs running nstreme with polling because I don't have a lot of customers on them. I guess they are in beta testing mode. hehe
All the APs there run 10mhz as well and I don't use 2.4Ghz for ptmp there at all.
I use Dual Nstreme there for the main uplink which has been great. Never any problems at all.
The CPEs are the same but I use 29dbi grids insted of the 24dbi panels.

In New Orleans The only thing I have found to be a problem it that compression can stop the IP traffic. I could still mac ping but not IP ping. I had to turn it off on some AP's.
In Covington I have one AP radio that I have to keep at B only because the two CPE's that are not MT won't connect in G mode. Oh, and when they are trying to connect the pings go to hell.

As you can see I don't do anything magical or to fancy with the network. But I have found that having all your hardware the same makes life a lot easier. I started building my network in th e90's and the only thing I could get was 2meg radios. I tried every new radio that came out and before I know it I had a network of all kinds of cheap shit. Let me tell you, thats the wrong way to go. It drove me nuts till MT came along. Now I can stay with the same board and software and I only have to change the radios if something new comes out. I HOPE! LOL

PS. Life is just a crap shoot!

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2007 11:21 pm

thanks but simply guys what version u are using?????
why is 2.9.38 more stable than 2.9.42 in 3 locations

i uesd it in point to point all mikrotik rb133 xr2

nstreme doesnt work for me @ all on 2.9.42 just in version 2.9.38 works gr8 is that ringing a bull???

btw guys you remeber 1 year ago when i post some of my problems and all people here is saying everything is ok but after later relase in mikrotik things getting improved

my fainal word is
2.9.38 is more stable than 2.9.42 can anyone deny this?? i m ready to place my bit

ghmorris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 am

Aside from some older versions we haven't felt the need to upgrade, we run on 2.9.30 and 2.9.42.

Wireless generally seems a little better on .42.

Both are very stable.

George

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2007 12:57 am

i hope everything is going fine and stable
and i wish from mikrotik to resolve some issues in wireless

i have descition with some guys in the forum that they agree with the 2.9.38 is much much stable espacilly on SR2

in XR2 also see some improvments

i m not talking like this becouse i hate UBNT or Mikrotik, but i feel that its very importnat to tell that i faced problem for both of them

and i dont think that i m stupid and missed up the LINK

in indoor the AP working gr8 for oudoor its not noisefloor is -104
signal is high

i did say that all the low power mini-pci work stable with 2ms pinigng in both 42 and 38 except the nstreme it doesnt work for me in 42

thats all what i have to say

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 08, 2007 7:47 am

thanks but simply guys what version u are using?????
why is 2.9.38 more stable than 2.9.42 in 3 locations

i uesd it in point to point all mikrotik rb133 xr2

nstreme doesnt work for me @ all on 2.9.42 just in version 2.9.38 works gr8 is that ringing a bull???

btw guys you remeber 1 year ago when i post some of my problems and all people here is saying everything is ok but after later relase in mikrotik things getting improved

my fainal word is
2.9.38 is more stable than 2.9.42 can anyone deny this?? i m ready to place my bit

I have 2.8.28,2.9.38, 2.9.40 and 2.9.42. most are 2.9.42.

Yes I do remember you bitching about the senao cards not working and when the new version came out it didn't say anything in the change file about the wireless being fixed but for some strange reason the cards started working better. Not that I would ever use them again but yes you did.
I don't have any problems with the Ubiguiti cards AT ALL!

If I may ask, what kind of CPE's are you using?

I don't doubt your problem I just don't have as of now, but who knows there's alway tomorrow! So hurry up and get it fixed so I don't have this problem too.

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Anyone having problems with the Ubiquity radios?

Humour me.

Try disabling the hotspot, and simply use the Access Control List to test things over a few hours.

Post your results when you have done this.

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 18, 2007 10:30 pm

What does the hotspot have to do with it?
I have hotspot service on all my clients using the SR2 or XR2 cards.

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 19, 2007 3:41 am

So do I.
I have had instance where One of my AP's is suddenly having problems.
I have disabled the hotspot, and all appears to be OK.
The clients did not disassociate (I thought that at first), just traffic stops, and only from the AP, as I have a Backhaul whos traffic flows through this RouterBoard 532, and the backhaul data continues to traverse correctly.

The Client traffic contines after a 10 Minute stall. The stalls occur at random times.

I have even replaced the XR2, with no change in results.
I am contemplating replacing the RB532, but am not convinced it is a hardware problem.

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 19, 2007 5:53 am

Humm, I had a few clients with SR5's stop passing traffic, but I could still mac-telnet in to the units. Now, what I found was that compression was the problem. If I turn compression off traffic would start moving again. And if I left it off the problem wouldn't come back.

I do have hotspots running on all the clients, but not on any of the main APs that the clients connect to. I don't because I can't have some guy sitting in his car with a shit signal killing the connections of my main clients.

Anyway I hope you guys get these problems fixed real soon.

Good Luck :)