MikroTik App

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Few questions about wireless

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Hello,

If I go in winbox to wireless -> Registration, I see different "tx rate" and "rx rate", about this:
- What does this value means?
- Is better to have not clients with low rates? Why?

About "tx/rx frames" vs "tx/rx hw frames", I see many Clients in many AP in many places, with much more hw frames than frames (double or more)
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wireless_FAQ said that this should not happen, I see also this issue in clients with about -50 dBm. Any Idea?

Thanks.
Regards,
Damián

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Few questions about wireless

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:40 pm

Tx rate is the speed the data are being transmitted from the Access Point.

Rx rate is the speed the data are being received from the Access Point.

If hardware frames > frames then simply there are retransmissions...

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Thank you Zacharias,

I see that the value en "Tx rate" and "Rx rate" columns are almost stable, does not change a lot. I guess this is the max speed for this device, right?
That speed is given for the quality of the wireless connection? I mean signal/noise, interference, anthena quality, etc.
If one device has lower Tx and Rx rate values, could this affect to other clients?
Why could for an specific device have very different rx and tx rate values?

Regards,
Damián

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:57 pm

This is the current max Tx and Rx values for the client.

No it wont affect other clients...

The Tx and Rx values have to do with so many factors like distance of the client, interference, wireless protocol used, wireless frequency and channel width, HT and VHT MCS rates, CCQ, SNR etc...

You will find more information here :
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... e/Wireless

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 am

If one device has lower Tx and Rx rate values, could this affect to other clients?

No it wont affect other clients...

Not directly, but indirectly it will. With lower throughput the "bad" device will use up more air time to transfer required data, thus less air time will remain for "good" devices which will reduce throughput of those devices.
This effect actually comes into play if/when cumulative required air time of all clients rises to 100% of available air time, with partial AP load every station gets what it requires while there's still some time when AP is idle.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Thank you very much,
This help me a lot.
One more question:
If I have some devices connected with 1 Mbps, what happen if I uncheck 1 Mbps in data rates tab in the wireless interface?
I guess they will try to connect with better speed and if it is not possible, they won't connect. Am I right?

Thanks
Regards,
Damián

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 pm

Well mkx is right on that.. Although that has no terrible effect to the other clients..but anyway

There are the Basic rates and the Supported rates. The basic rates are those that the client device must support in order for a connection to happen.
The supported rates on the other hand are those that will be used in practice for the communication between an AP and a Client.
Also for every Basic Rate there must be a matching Supported Rate but not necessarily the other way.
For example, there is a nice table here https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... Rate_table
where you can see for lets say in 2.4 GHz only N the default Basic Rate is 6 Mbp/s but the Supported defaults are 1-11 and 6-54 Mbp/s... So you see that the Basic Rate is included in the Supported Rate but not every Supported is included in the Basic Rates...