Community discussions

MikroTik App

rihanatkhan
just joined
Topic Author

how long cable support mikrotik

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:25 pm

we have to install one omnitik poe and two mantbox sector on tower. so maximum length of cat 5e is 135 mtr from office to devices, will it work or need to add something else ?

Sent from my RMX1901 using Tapatalk

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: how long cable support mikrotik

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 pm

Probably yes if the quality of the cable is good, but just to be sure use the GPER
https://mikrotik.com/product/gper#fndtn-specifications

dmitris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Definitely it will not work at all or if it will connection between nodes will be unreliable....

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Definitely it will not work at all or if it will connection between nodes will be unreliable....
This dimitris is just in theory... sorry to dissapoint you but in practice is not exactly like that...! At least you can not be certain...
I ve seen UTP CAT5e cables with length of 60-70m perform poorly and i ve seen also UTP cables with length over 100m perform well...

Even in the specs of GPeR, if you read it, you will see that: Maximium allowed length of CAT6 Ethernet cable between GPeR and power source/router is up to 100 m (depending on cable quality, high quality - up to 150 m). 150 meters!!!
Source: https://mikrotik.com/product/gper#fndtn-downloads

So, because his cable is CAT5e and its quality is not known GPeR is suggested...

dmitris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 pm

This dimitris is just in theory... sorry to dissapoint you but in practice is not exactly like that...! At least you can not be certain...
I ve seen UTP CAT5e cables with length of 60-70m perform poorly and i ve seen also UTP cables with length over 100m perform well...
Yes, i'm aware about this....

If i understood correctly, he want run on 135m cable 3 devices with summary consumtion of 37w. Omnitik POE come with 24v 2,5A adapter and for this distance is too low, GPeR itself consuming 2W.. I should wish good luck =) or i'll suggest to use some active device in the middle.

Here is a good poe calculator.
http://poe-world.com/Calculator/poe-calc.php

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:56 pm

You suggest an active device although there is a whole new product designed exactly so you dont have to add an active device in order to extend your cable...

I ve used and tested GPeR, works perfect.. Just add one at about half your distance, 70m, and you will be ok...

There is no need of a poe calculator... the omnitik has a psu of 60 watt. The consumption of all the devices ( max ) including the GPeR is less than 50 watt... So?

dmitris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:03 pm

There is no need of a poe calculator... the omnitik has a psu of 60 watt. The consumption of all the devices ( max ) including the GPeR is less than 50 watt... So?
At such distance there will be voltage drop ca 5V and I forget that Mikrotik devices works even in range 11-30V, in theory should work then....

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:09 am

Voltage drop 5V ?
How exactly did you calculate that?
Again, you don't know the voltage drop when the quality of the cable is not known...! You say it like it is a rule or something, but it is not..!

rihanatkhan
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:38 pm

I powered on the sector with basebox 5 & Omnitik Poe ac. Country is lock down so can't purchase the right product.Image

Sent from my RMX1901 using Tapatalk