Community discussions

MikroTik App

donsergio
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Best practices to optimize signal and CCQ

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi, I have an Omnitik UPA-5HnD with a few clients (SXT Lite 5).... and 2 of them are so near (no more than 10 meters)... and signal are about -55/-35...

The CCQ of one of them are 95/65 and the other one 95/90

I tried to increase by changing antenna gain to 30 but signal still too high....

How is the best practice to reduce the signal for this nearest clients??
The Frequency Mode are in "regulatory-domain"

Thanks!!

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best practices to optimize signal and CCQ

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Lower the Tx power of the Access Point...
In the wireless menu click advanced then go to Tx power tab and start lowering the Tx power till the -35 goes at least -50...

Another way is to increase the Gain of the AP and then the EIRP will be calculated accordingly. As a result the Tx power will be automatically decreased to meet the legal standards...
Last edited by Zacharias on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donsergio
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:12 pm

But, if I reduce the power of the AP..... will reduce the signal and quality of the other clients that has the signal and CCQ good, Am I right?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:19 pm

No...
Just lower the Tx power by using either the 1st or 2nd technique... lower by 1 dbm at a time and you will see that -35dbm will start slowly getting close to -40...-50 and so on...

donsergio
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi, thanks for your help and your prompt reply... I think it´s better to increase the AP antenna gain... Am I right? Because to touch the TX power.... need to touch every rates... or "all rates fixed".... If I increase antenna gain (8dbi).... the all the power TX will be handled by the operating system.... (according EIRP)....

Thanks, later I´ll start to make tests.

Best regards!!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm

But, if I reduce the power of the AP..... will reduce the signal and quality of the other clients that has the signal and CCQ good, Am I right?

You're right.

The only way to make all clients happy - or, rather, make the two close clients happy and keep the rest happy - is to increase pathloss of the two closest clients. Professional way of doing it would be to introduce a 20 dB atenuator between client's antenna and radio. Since we're living in WiFi world, trying to get by with low cost toys (which don't allow to easily place anything between antenna and radio), you can achieve something similar by turning client's SXT away from AP ... just observe reception on client and turn it in direction with least interference (you're trying to reduce signal level, not increase interference). It might be necessary to turn SXTs as much as 90°, SXT doesn't seem to have very narrow-beam antenna.
BR,
Metod

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:56 pm

By increasing setting of antenna gain you're effectively decreasing Tx power ... if you do that on AP, the far clients will possibly loose some speed. On the other hand Rx power of close clients will still be too high and you'd have to increase antenna gain setting on those clients as well ...
BR,
Metod

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 pm

donsergio you would use all rates fixed ofcourse....
What is the distance of your farthest point antenna ?

You can not have all your clients happy.. just try for the best...

Having two antennas so close increases the noise, causes interference and so on... you can not make it perfect...! Increase the Gain to a value that all your clients perform good and thats it...!

It is a faulty design... you should have another antenna for your near clients and a second one for the ones that are far away...

donsergio
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi, the nearest clients are two.... 14 meters (45 feets) and 16 meters (52 feets)..... the farthest is at 310 meters (1017 feets)

Then I has others at 100 meters, 130 meters and 180 meters....

I´ll try first.... to increase client antenna gain (on the SXT lite 5) and the same on the AP (only a little)....

The fartest client .... some days has 100% both CCQ and today for example 80/80.... signal now is -70/-60.....

I´ll increase clients antenna gain... to test.... and Omnitik has a 8dbi antenna... I´ll test with 10 dbi....

Best regards!!

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Am waiting for the results... :D

donsergio
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:49 pm

hahahaahahaha I´ll wait for late night or dawn to prevent my (few) clients on this node call me for lost connections.... but, I told you tomorrow....

Thanks my friend!!

donsergio
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi, I want to reply for post results.... I don´t change anything... two clients with about -40 of signal... and nothing client call me for any complaint... then I decide to leave the configuration such as....

Thanks for the help!!

allstarcomps

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:43 am

Swap out the sxts with waps. Smaller antennas less signal.