Community discussions

MikroTik App

willychibu
just joined
Topic Author

Can rb4011igs+5hacq2hnd-in handle 80 concurrent wireless users?

Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 am

Good day, please I want to know if the Mikrotik Router rb4011igs+5hacq2hnd-in can handle 80 concurrent wireless users....
Thanks.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can rb4011igs+5hacq2hnd-in handle 80 concurrent wireless users?

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:26 pm

My opinion is yes, without problems.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Yes, or more.

akschu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Mine isn't stable enough. Frequently my 5hgz network goes away and I have to reboot the thing.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Mine isn't stable enough. Frequently my 5hgz network goes away and I have to reboot the thing.
I don't think this has to do with the number of users.
Your ROS/firmware versions ?

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Good day, please I want to know if the Mikrotik Router rb4011igs+5hacq2hnd-in can handle 80 concurrent wireless users....
Thanks.
It all depends on on the kind of activity your users are doing ... if it’s just email and browsing without streaming and no real time activities then 80 concurrent wireless users should be easy to handle .... but if streaming and real time activities is part of the equation Then absolutely NO and under those circumstances perhaps 20 concurrent wireless users — The keyword is perhaps.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:06 am

but if streaming and real time activities is part of the equation Then absolutely NO and under those circumstances perhaps 20 concurrent wireless users
It is obvious you do not know any of the device specs and obviously you have never used this model.
It is a quad core 1.4Ghz with 1 GB of RAM that according to the test results in routing mode with 25 ip firewall filter rules and a packet size of 1518 Byte can reach almost 7Gbps speeds and about 300 Mbps for the smallest packet of 64Byte.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:37 pm

but if streaming and real time activities is part of the equation Then absolutely NO and under those circumstances perhaps 20 concurrent wireless users
It is obvious you do not know any of the device specs and obviously you have never used this model.
It is a quad core 1.4Ghz with 1 GB of RAM that according to the test results in routing mode with 25 ip firewall filter rules and a packet size of 1518 Byte can reach almost 7Gbps speeds and about 300 Mbps for the smallest packet of 64Byte.
I have 2 clients with this model ... they purchased this device without my knowledge then called me to fix their poor decision. They no longer have this model.

The specs you refer to apply to Ethernet -- not wireless. The OP explicitly asked about 80 concurrent WIRELESS users to which I addressed my reply. @Zacharias, do you know the difference between concurrent WIRELESS access and sequential WIRELESS access? ....I suggest that you learn the impacts different types of wireless access has on the wireless network --- that would help you a lot.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:30 pm

they purchased this device without my knowledge then called me to fix their poor decision. They no longer have this model
I guess because you could not solve the problem ! And because of that you consider this model as poor... :lol:

The CPU is not different for the wireless interface and different for the ethernet interfaces. So you should learn that there is 1 physical CPU for all the router's facilities. Also the RAM is the same for the ethernet and wireless interfaces. There is no didferent RAM for every different facility in the router. Those are general system specs, so you should start learning the basics and then we can continue discussing about the performance of this device.

The test results i pointed you at where so that you understand that this particular device has a good performance in general. Thats why they exist. So that you can compare and have a point of reference.

Even @normis that is in Mikrotik Support said that this device can handle that number of users and more...
You just believe you know everything and you are the best... :lol:

mbovenka

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Even @normis that is in Mikrotik Support said that this device can handle that number of users and more...
You just believe you know everything and you are the best... :lol:

That the box can handle the traffic I have no doubt. But 80 clients on a single AP (even when shared beween 5 & 2.4GHz bands) is a lot. And that has nothing to do with CPU power or RAM, just with the way wireless works.

I happen to do this for a living, and I start adding APs when they get to 10, 15 clients. And that's with simple office clients, nothing fancy.

Will it work? Sure, the clients will connect and the box will have no issues with it. Will it work well, from the viewpoint of the clients? Probably not. But that's not the fault of the 4011.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Will it work well, from the viewpoint of the clients? Probably not
Exactly, probably not. This means that will probably yes as well...!
Also the post is about the number of users! Not about distances, not about frequencies, not about channel widths, not about the type of clients, not about interferences and so on...
So in case we want to convince someone that it wont work we can easily find hundreds of reasons...!

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Emmm.... for me, if my client ask for a device to support 80 users, I will suggest him to go with more than 1 AP to play safe, because if I said ok to go with 1 AP but in the end the result is not nice, all I got is blame. If I suggest him to go with 2 or 3 APs, even though it might costs more, but the result speaks itself, customer sanctification is the only goal, you will never know 1 or 2 days of network down will cost him how much in his business.

This is the major different I found between MikroTik and UBNT, if someone post this in UBNT forum, they will ask him to go with more than 1 AP, as they only care about result; But in this forum, even MikroTik guy will show green light for this case, because here we are not just care about result but also the price. This makes ppl feel MikroTik is less stable than UBNT by following official reply (although we know MikroTik wireless is kinda........)

akschu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:33 pm

No, I don't. Currently, I have 4 wireless clients attached to it.

I'm running 6.46beta59 as it contains:
*) wireless - improved IPQ4019, QCA9984, QCA9888 wireless interface stability;
I'm hoping that Mikrotik can finally get the bugs worked out on this box.

As of right now, I would never deploy this into any kind of production environment. The 5ghz wireless just up and disappears at least once a week.

schu

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:43 pm

No, I don't. Currently, I have 4 wireless clients attached to it.

I'm running 6.46beta59 as it contains:
*) wireless - improved IPQ4019, QCA9984, QCA9888 wireless interface stability;
I'm hoping that Mikrotik can finally get the bugs worked out on this box.

As of right now, I would never deploy this into any kind of production environment. The 5ghz wireless just up and disappears at least once a week.

schu
What I expect to see:

Someone will pop out and said :" No problem here, maybe configuration mistake, admin is the problem!"
After few posts, MikroTik guy :"The recent beta firmware has the fix for this problem"

Someone has left the group chat.....

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 pm

To the OP:
The number of Wireless concurrent users That can connect is not relevant .... what is relevant is understanding the activities [load] that these users will have on the network and in your case the wireless network. You can have 256 wireless users connect but if the load [activity like voip, streaming videos, real time gaming, iptv, etc] is persistent then your wireless users will complain bitterly. The only way to spread the load for wireless users who have real time requirements is to add additional access points that are equally as capable ... a good rule of thumb is one access point for each 30 users but again understanding the user need [requirements] is vitally important ESPECIALLY for wireless load balancing.