Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

bobatkins
just joined
Topic Author

SXTsq - Why no standard mount slides on the back???

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:00 pm

We have been using Mikrotik products for the last 12+ years and are running a large 200+ SMs and 6 APs network that continues to grow.

We have come to expect the mounting slides on the back of Mikrotik antennas and these slides are particularly useful to be able to use 3rd party mounts in order to secure the antennas in situations where a simple pole mount is not possible.

While the SXTsq antennas have 'built-in' mounts on the sides of the enclosure, these are limited to using with a pole mount and a small one at that! The center of the back of the enclosure has 4 small screw holes but no standard slide! WHY?!?!?

This has been an incredibly stupid decision! As a result we are avoiding the SXTsq antennas at all costs! We MUST to have the mount slide rail in order to mount in MOST of our situations! Not having the ability to use a 3rd party gimbal mount or other solution that attaches to the slides makes using the SXTsq virtually impossible in most of our installations! I don't know what Mikrotik was thinking when they decided not to have the slides on the back of the SXTsq antennas but I want them to know that we will not purchase the SXTsq antennas until they put the slides on the back! Given that the classic round SXT units are being EOL'd that means we will begin purchasing used units before we will buy new ones.

Mikrotik - PLEASE put the slide mounts on the backs of the SXTsq antennas and supply the same plastic mount that the classic round units had packaged with them.

---
Bob Atkins
President/CEO
DigiLink, Inc.
---
Bob Atkins
President/CEO
DigiLink, Inc.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SXTsq - Why no standard mount slides on the back???

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:27 pm

https://mikrotik.com/product/QMP#fndtn-gallery

There is also a plate mount but don't know if holes are matching.
Product code QMP / QMP-LHG
Dimensions 95x88x112mm, 74x81mm (mounting hole pattern)
Tube diameter 35 mm
Max tube diameter to which mount
can be attached 65 mm
Two RB760iGS (hEX S) in series. One does PPPoE and both do IKEv2.
Running:
RouterOS 6.46Beta68 / Winbox 3.20 / MikroTik APP 1.3.7
Having an Android device, use https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases (no root required)

RogerWilco

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:07 am

I think the new mounts are rather stupid - it looks cheap to have to cable tie/hose clamp a bit of plastic pipe to get the SXT to attach.

You can 3D print or CNC your own adapter to support the good old version. I've attached the zip.
I don't take credit for this - I saved it from this forum for future use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:58 pm

The product itself is CHEAP. We have also other devices with better mounts :) To each price group something different.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Even if a product is cheap is no reason to think about having a just a plate on sale that would please you customers.
Running:
Having an Android device, use https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases (no root required)

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:04 pm

no that is inconsistent, if I need to swap a SXT for a SXTsq, the holder also needs to be changed. Why? first build a toolless variant that is good, and then swap it for cheap garbage?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 am

If you need to swap SXT for Netmetal, holder needs to change too. What is your point? This is a different device, for different purpose, at a different price.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:26 am

If you need to swap SXT for Netmetal, holder needs to change too. What is your point? This is a different device, for different purpose, at a different price.
SXT is mass device, CPE on more then million roofs......
Why change mounting, wehen the established one is good?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 am

Have you seen the QMX?

https://mikrotik.com/product/qm_x
1830_l.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am

Please add it related products for the products able to use it.
Running:

bobatkins
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 am

Here a few examples of why an SXTsq without a standard slide mount doesn't work.

Mikrotik can ignore this issue but the result is that I just purchased 20+ used SXT classics off of Ebay and will continue to do so until the SXTsq series has a standard slide mount. If you don't want my business, don't fix it. The fix is ridiculously simple to add the standard slide mount to the back case the SXTsq enclosure. To expect me and I am sure most everyone else that has been using SXTs and similar antennas for the last 10 years to have to keep completely different mounting hardware just for the unique SXTsq when I already have 200+ SXT 'classic' antennas in service is ridiculous.

The image showing an SXT held to a sailboat mast with velcro is actually the majority of our installations. There is no possible way to do the same with an SXTsq without having to add cost by using some extra mounting hardware and clamps. Plus, the slots in the SXTsq case are way too small to run a 1" wide velcro strap though them - but easily done with an SXT classic mount. We frequently need to have positive elevation as well as these antennas are pointing at a 13 story building that is less than 2km away. We accomplish the up elevation tilt with either a gimbal mount or we just attach a piece of cut cork to the lower part of the valley of the standard, fixed SXT 'Y' mount, hold it in place with tape and then velcro the antenna onto the mast with 1" wide velcro strap. Some might find this laughable but these antennas have to be easily removed and re-installed when the boat owner wants to take their boat out to sail and it works at virtually no cost. There is no way to do something similar with an SXTsq without purchasing a special mount.
IMG_8429.JPG
IMG_20150820_140421.jpg
IMG_20150902_182622.jpg
IMG_20150904_105012.jpg
---
Bob Atkins
President/CEO
DigiLink, Inc.

bobatkins
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:45 am

Have you seen the QMX?

https://mikrotik.com/product/qm_x

1830_l.jpg
The QMX is a reasonable idea but it needs to have at least a 1"+ wide slot (the same slot width as the SXT classic 'Y' mount has) on the pole side to allow use of a velcro strap. The QMX should be included in the box with the SXTsq and just charge a little more to cover the cost. I don't want to have to go through the trouble of purchasing them separately.

You still need to put the standard slide mount on the back of the SXTsq so that installers can make use of the selection of 3rd party mounts that have been proven to work with your 'classic' antennas and that when a classic SXT needs to be replaced with an SXTsq the swap doesn't require changing the antenna mount.
---
Bob Atkins
President/CEO
DigiLink, Inc.