Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to block a certain MAC address?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi, I am trying run a free Internet Hotspot for my neighbourhood. I only want to give a free account for any one MAC address. There is a guy who has asked to 9 free accounts. How do I block him out automatically with out the need to manually remove his acounts everytime this MAC shows up in winbox active users? I just give anyone an account so if he asked me through emails, I didn't know it was him and would give him another account.
DK

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:18 pm

It's virtually impossible to stop someone from getting access to a free account. If you block their MAC address, anyone with any knowledge will just change the MAC address of their Wireless Adapter.

Years ago MAC addresses used to be completely unique, being hard wired or burned into EPROMs, that could only be changed with considerable difficulty. However, these days it's dead easy to change your MAC address with little risk, if you choose the new address randomly that you'll encounter soneone with the same address.

Regards

Chris Macneill

kvan64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 am

That's bad. Can I still block this MAC? At least I can make him work harder to earn these accounts :D I just want to save the download limits for others as well. This guy is greedy!!!

advantz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 03, 2007 6:09 am

Yeah, got same problem lately.

How to block 2 or more client with SAME MAC ADDRESS connected to mikrotik AP?
Registration only shows 1 connected client <-- this is not true, I detected 2 client connected but SAME MAC ADDRESS.

Looks like mac spoofing

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 03, 2007 10:21 am

'Default-authentication=no' and 'interface wireless access-list' allows to block certain MAC-addresses, however this person could change MAC-address. Encryption protocols could help you to protect the wireless network.

cyberfreak
just joined

Sat May 05, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi

Let us take this from a diffrent perspective. Why don't we pass through certain MAC addresses, and block/drop the rest? PPPoE or VLAN is another way for control.

Anyone wants to share their views?

Cyberfreak

skynoc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi

Let us take this from a diffrent perspective. Why don't we pass through certain MAC addresses, and block/drop the rest? PPPoE or VLAN is another way for control.

Anyone wants to share their views?

Cyberfreak
Cyberfreak

when you set the default-authentication=no you dropped all mac addresses so that you can add only which are permitted