Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Chaosphere64
Topic Author

WiFi Clients to MT AP - directly or via hAP ac

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi,

just a short design question: I've got 3 wireless devices (a Smart TV and 2 Media Players) that are currently wirelessly connected to a cAP ac. As the WiFi hardware of these devices is not really great I was thinking about adding a hAP ac in, connecting all devices via ethernet and lettting the hAP ac act as wireless "media bridge" to the cAP ac.

Do you think this has advantages to the current solution or do you think it is generally a bad idea?

Thanks in advance and best regards

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: WiFi Clients to MT AP - directly or via hAP ac

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:50 pm

You mean hAP AC2?

That could allow for better airtime usage, in theory.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

Chaosphere64
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 pm

You mean hAP AC2?

That could allow for better airtime usage, in theory.
No, actually I've got a bunch of "old" hAP ac devices lying around and was curious if they'd do any good in the mentioned scenario. May I assume you don't think so?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm

It really depends on how "not really great" those devices' wireless interfaces are. My guess is that it should work at least as good as it currently does. hAP ac have decent wireless, it's dual band (many TVs aren't) ... If you have those hAP ac units laying around, then just do it ...
BR,
Metod