Community discussions

MikroTik App

hhoeth
just joined
Topic Author

LTE cell-monitor with R11e-LTE

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:42 am

I've got two routerboards with R11e-LTE modems. Both modems are at firmware MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v013. One routerboards is at 6.45.3, the other one is at 6.46. With ROS 6.45.3 "/interface lte cell-monitor lte1" shows results, but the EARFCN column is empty. With ROS 6.46 I don't get any output. Am I missing anything or is this a problem in ROS or the modem firmware?

Thanks,
Hendrik

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE cell-monitor with R11e-LTE

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:24 pm

it's corrected in v6.46 and later.
Run cell-monitor and wait - this works when you are connected of course..

hhoeth
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:08 pm

I think I figured out what the difference between the two routers is: The SIM cards in those routers come from different service providers. It seems that cell-monitor only shows cells that belong to the service provider that issued the SIM card, even though the SIM card is configured to roam in all networks. For example with the Telefonica SIM card I can only see Telefonica cells, even if the modem is connected to a Telekom Germany cell. Telefonica coverage here isn't the best, so I have to wait minutes before something shows up in that list.

Is there a way to see all cells?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Is there a way to see all cells?
Yes, use a CellID maps like cellmapper.net, btsearch.pl, your own in your country...
use all real ISP (not virtual ISP) SIM cards and scan your towers.
You can build schema of your area and determin what ISP on what Cell have got what a internet speed / per all Band's.
That way you can select the best ISP with his the best Band for your location.

Additional you can use your government webpage to find a assignation of Band's per real ISP like in PL B3 is divided as:
opera_NwBotCgl50.png
You can do many stuff, when you understand how LTE works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hhoeth
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:46 pm

I know cellmapper.net and I agree it's useful. But I was hoping that I could scan all networks with the same SIM card. Using multiple cards is not feasible for my application (remote locations distributed all over the country, very restricted physical access).

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:22 pm

I know cellmapper.net and I agree it's useful. But I was hoping that I could scan all networks with the same SIM card. Using multiple cards is not feasible for my application (remote locations distributed all over the country, very restricted physical access).
life is brutal.
physics you won't jump

If your one ISP cannot use Roaming via all other ISP then you cannot do it.
SXTR, LtAP with few SIM slots and ISP who allow to Roaming.
In UE you can use forced roaming, just bring SIM from other foreign SIM ISP and you can do Roaming via selected one/few/all your local ISP - differ way but maybe this way?
IT is full of WorkARound...
opera_msIuKETrLn.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hhoeth
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 am

Well, the SIM supports (steered) roaming and can connect to all networks, even though by default it prefers its native provider. But scanning only shows its native network.