Community discussions

MikroTik App

idanmikos
just joined
Topic Author

CAPsman with 2GHz and 5GHz networks

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi all,
Newbie here, using RB2011UiAS-2HnD with two CAP ac AP's.
I would like to let clients connect automatically to 2 or 5GHz networks but it looks like my 5GHz network does not have a name.
Should I use the same SSID name as for 2 GHz network has, in my case `netis`?
Or is it mandatory to use a different SSID's?
Annotation 2019-12-24 202418.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPsman with 2GHz and 5GHz networks

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:37 am

No it is not mandatory, but in practice its better to use different SSIDs...
If they have the same name and you have a device that supports both 2.4 and 5GHz bands you will see twice the same name "netis"...
So which one is the 2.4 and which the 5 GHz ?

idanmikos
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:12 pm

Thank you for the answer!
But how to deal with two different SSID's in CAPs Configuration?
Define a new config? How?
Annotation 2019-12-25 200138.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Ofcorse, you need a totally new configuration for the 5GHz band....
Then you create a second provision rule for the 5GHz wireless interface and you assign the newly created config...

techlord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CAPsman with 2GHz and 5GHz networks  [SOLVED]

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi!
I have a similar hardware config - 1 RB3011 and 2x CAP ACs. Here is what I did to have separate SSIDs.
Go to CAPSMAN config and start from right to left:
1) Create 1 security config to define your wifi secret
2) Create 1 datapath that suits your needs
3) Create 2 Channel configs
Config 1 - whatever name you like - select 5ghz-n/ac
Config 2 - whatever name you like - select 2ghz-g/n ( or only n, depends on your needs)

4) Create 2 "Configurations"
Config 1 - put a SSID for the 5Ghz network (example netis5ghz) - select items from points 1-3 (security, datapath, channel) but choose the channel related to 5ghz (config 1 from pct3)
Config 2 - put a SSID for the 2Ghz network (example netis2ghz) - select items from points 1-3 but choose the channel related to 2ghz (config 2 from pct3)

5) Create 2 provisioning rules - this is where the magic happens - you can make CAPSMAN assign SSIDs based on radio capabilities. The CAP ACs have 2 built in radios, 1 in 2Ghz band and 1 in 5Ghz band. Capsman can provision the 5Ghz configuration from pct 4 on the 5ghz radio and the 2ghz configuration on the 2ghz radio which will basically create your 2 SSIDs.
a) Rule1 - for 5Ghz
go under "Hw. Supported Modes" and select "ac" and "an" and choose pct 4-config 1 under master configuration. Also under action select "create dynamic enabled"
b) Rule 2 - for 2ghz
under hw supported modes select "gn", select the other config from pct4-config 2 and crate dynamic enabled.

And that's it. Once both CAP ACs register with capsman you will see 4 dynamic interfaces automatically created ( 2 from CAP AC 1 - 1 for 5ghz and 1 for 2ghz, and 2 from CAP AC2) and 2 SSIDs.

Forgot to add:
1) do not create any manual CAP interfaces, they will be created automatically by the provisioning rules
2) you should look into creating WIFI access lists in capsman. these are needed because most devices will hang on to the first connected AP even though they moved and AP2 has a better signal. To go around this you need 2 rules - first one allows connectivity until a certain power level, let's say -75dbm, and the other one rejects any client with lower power than -76. this basically kicks the client from ap1 and will automatically reregister to ap2. the threshold value is something you must choose depending on your local setup.

idanmikos
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:39 am

Thank you Techlord!
Great tutorial.
I will follow your steps and come back if something will not work as supposed to.

chalan

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:44 pm

Hello Can you help me to create provision rules? I have one rb433 with two r52 cards. Both are 802.11a/b/g but i need one to work in 2,4ghz and the second one in 5ghz. How to make IT work please?

wifi75
just joined

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi!
I have a similar hardware config - 1 RB3011 and 2x CAP ACs. Here is what I did to have separate SSIDs.
Go to CAPSMAN config and start from right to left:
1) Create 1 security config to define your wifi secret
2) Create 1 datapath that suits your needs
3) Create 2 Channel configs
Config 1 - whatever name you like - select 5ghz-n/ac
Config 2 - whatever name you like - select 2ghz-g/n ( or only n, depends on your needs)

4) Create 2 "Configurations"
Config 1 - put a SSID for the 5Ghz network (example netis5ghz) - select items from points 1-3 (security, datapath, channel) but choose the channel related to 5ghz (config 1 from pct3)
Config 2 - put a SSID for the 2Ghz network (example netis2ghz) - select items from points 1-3 but choose the channel related to 2ghz (config 2 from pct3)

5) Create 2 provisioning rules - this is where the magic happens - you can make CAPSMAN assign SSIDs based on radio capabilities. The CAP ACs have 2 built in radios, 1 in 2Ghz band and 1 in 5Ghz band. Capsman can provision the 5Ghz configuration from pct 4 on the 5ghz radio and the 2ghz configuration on the 2ghz radio which will basically create your 2 SSIDs.
a) Rule1 - for 5Ghz
go under "Hw. Supported Modes" and select "ac" and "an" and choose pct 4-config 1 under master configuration. Also under action select "create dynamic enabled"
b) Rule 2 - for 2ghz
under hw supported modes select "gn", select the other config from pct4-config 2 and crate dynamic enabled.

And that's it. Once both CAP ACs register with capsman you will see 4 dynamic interfaces automatically created ( 2 from CAP AC 1 - 1 for 5ghz and 1 for 2ghz, and 2 from CAP AC2) and 2 SSIDs.

Forgot to add:
1) do not create any manual CAP interfaces, they will be created automatically by the provisioning rules
2) you should look into creating WIFI access lists in capsman. these are needed because most devices will hang on to the first connected AP even though they moved and AP2 has a better signal. To go around this you need 2 rules - first one allows connectivity until a certain power level, let's say -75dbm, and the other one rejects any client with lower power than -76. this basically kicks the client from ap1 and will automatically reregister to ap2. the threshold value is something you must choose depending on your local setup.
hello, so do I have Cap AC access point, witch capsman, why the max speed it's 433Mbps?

greebo
just joined

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 am

I use one SSID for both:

very simple cfg:

/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=g,gn identity-regexp=AP master-configuration=cfg-2GHz name-format=identity
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=a,ac,an identity-regexp=AP master-configuration=cfg-5GHz name-format=identity

/caps-man configuration
add channel=5g-5660-5180 name=cfg-5GHz ssid=wifi
add channel=2g-1-5-9-13 channel.band=2ghz-g/n name=cfg-2GHz ssid=wifi

/caps-man channel
add control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=disabled frequency="" name=5g-5660-5180 skip-dfs-channels=no
add control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=disabled frequency=2412,2432,2452,2472 name=2g-1-5-9-13