Community discussions

MikroTik App

infinet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

bandwidth control

Fri May 04, 2007 4:35 am

Hello, I'm developing and wisp, and i have problem with my bandwidth, i'm wonder if could i used the option that the mk has for this matter, does anyone has ever configure this option and how it woks.

thanks

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Bandwidth Control

Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 am

You would be wanting to setup Queues in the MT...

A basic Bandwidth queue can be setup in your core router by defining the Target Address(the client device you want to control), then set Target Upload and Target Download speeds in the General Tab in Queues.
If you want a client to have a Target Upload of 256 you will define it as "256k" in the Target Upload field and then you would do likewise for the Target Download according to the bandwidth you want a client to to be provided.

If you offer bandwidth by MB then define them as "1MB" or "2MB" or whatever in your core router.
You can also expand on complexity of the Queue by choosing the Advanced tab and setting it's fields accordingly.

Give it a try by first setting up a client device and logging onto your network and download a large file from the Internet taking note of how long the download takes, then log into your core router and assign a bandwidth Queue with a target address the same as your client device, once the Queue is set go back to your Client Device and try downloading the same file again and notice how long the file transfer takes this time.

Hope this helps :)

ptsip

Fri May 04, 2007 5:17 am

Suppose if you are using NAT, pls using /queue tree with PCQ.
If you are using hotspot, pls using Server Profile and/or User Profile for UL/DL ratio.

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 04, 2007 5:40 am

Suppose if you are using NAT, pls using /queue tree with PCQ.
If you are using hotspot, pls using Server Profile and/or User Profile for UL/DL ratio.
You should still be able setup Bandwidth Queues without any problems

infinet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2007 4:10 pm

thanks for the answer in my case i have linux squid server running, but for several weeks i was trying to setup bandwith control on the server, but i saw the mikrotik documentation and my main ap is the mk, i wonder if could place the rules on the ap?

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 04, 2007 8:18 pm

thanks for the answer in my case i have linux squid server running, but for several weeks i was trying to setup bandwith control on the server, but i saw the mikrotik documentation and my main ap is the mk, i wonder if could place the rules on the ap?
Yes, you can impose bandwidth control at the AP also on a per client basis too.

Chipi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 07, 2007 3:51 am

You can create a rule per client in your AP (QUEUE/Simple QUEUE), in the target address you will put your client´s IP.... upload, download and that´s all for a simple control...

The you can add MANGLE + QUEUE TREE to control P2P for example...

Or you can call me and I will help you 8)

Yow know where to find me :shock:

Saludos desde la nueva sucursal en Rosario...