Community discussions

MikroTik App

mitchcze
just joined
Topic Author

60Ghz stations losing IP connectivity randomly

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello,

I work for an ISP and we have been using 60 Ghz extensively. Overal the experience is great, but lately we began to have problems with losing IP connectivity to stations connected to the 60Ghz AP. Let me clarify (assume everything from AP on is bridged). The stations' IPs are therefore only for management access. Sometimes the IP stops responding, the stations disappear from neighbors as well (which is strange, since MNDP/LLDP works in L2 layer. Fortunately it's all bridged and doesn't affect customers (data still flow) but having randomly inaccessible management of the stations is highly inconvenient. It happens only on 60 Ghz station (never on APs and 5 Ghz clients are OK as well).

I noticed it helps to disable and enable the station interface causing it to become responsive again. It seems like somehow the station's bridge MAC adress either changes or gets "forgotten" and the AP can't communicate (until it learns the new MAC which happens when it connects again). The fact that it disappears from neighbors as well would point in this direction.

Also when I disable and then enable the station, this pops up in the station's logu (when I login afterwards):
15:39:25 interface,warning wlan60-1: 74:4d:28:0c:d9:8f authentication failed

We don't use any station authentication whatsoever. Not sure if it has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have or had the same problem and was able to solve it? I googled throughoutly and wasn't able to find anyone with the same/similar problem.

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 60Ghz stations losing IP connectivity randomly

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Hello,
You could check if you have set an admin mac-address under bridge settings and if not, set the ether1 mac-address as the admin.

mitchcze
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion. I will try that out and see if it helps.

hercules30a
just joined

Tue May 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Hello,

I work for an ISP and we have been using 60 Ghz extensively. Overal the experience is great, but lately we began to have problems with losing IP connectivity to stations connected to the 60Ghz AP. Let me clarify (assume everything from AP on is bridged). The stations' IPs are therefore only for management access. Sometimes the IP stops responding, the stations disappear from neighbors as well (which is strange, since MNDP/LLDP works in L2 layer. Fortunately it's all bridged and doesn't affect customers (data still flow) but having randomly inaccessible management of the stations is highly inconvenient. It happens only on 60 Ghz station (never on APs and 5 Ghz clients are OK as well).

I noticed it helps to disable and enable the station interface causing it to become responsive again. It seems like somehow the station's bridge MAC adress either changes or gets "forgotten" and the AP can't communicate (until it learns the new MAC which happens when it connects again). The fact that it disappears from neighbors as well would point in this direction.

Also when I disable and then enable the station, this pops up in the station's logu (when I login afterwards):
15:39:25 interface,warning wlan60-1: 74:4d:28:0c:d9:8f authentication failed

We don't use any station authentication whatsoever. Not sure if it has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have or had the same problem and was able to solve it? I googled throughoutly and wasn't able to find anyone with the same/similar problem.
Hello..
    Have you been able to solve the problem? .. The same happens to me

Thank you

jonwang
just joined

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:47 pm

We've had similar issues here, but only since upgrading to 6.47. Previously on 6.44.1 things were much more stable. Considering rolling back unless you came up with a fix?

mitchcze
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:40 pm

No luck.. Even with auto-mac OFF and bridge MAC set manually it still happens even with latest firmware. Wonder if Mikrotik is ever going to fix this as it only happens with 60Ghz devices.

towerguy

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Good luck. Ubiquiti has the same problems with their 60 ghz. Funny they all seem to have the same dish look and experiencing the same problems. The look just like the Ubiquiti line. I guess the only difference is firmware used. I'm through with these defective units they are cranking out. Yes, my Mikrotik 60 ghz are having the same issues. Good Luck.

johnb175
just joined

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:35 pm

I recently upgraded from a Wireless Wire Kit (PtP) that I was using to connect a MainHouse and a PoolHouse together. I wanted to bring the connection into my shop so I purchased a WAP60gx3 AP and setup a PtMP by reconfiguring the "master" of the PtP kit as a station. I have have had the same issues as described above. ICMP packets to the stations stop and they cannot be managed from the MainHouse. If I remote onto a device behind either station I can launch Winbox and see it's up but cannot manage it from the MainHouse side. I looked in the logs and see the same thing, the link goes up/down to both stations and I see the auth failure. It's very strange and is driving me crazy. I have reset all three devices to factory default with no default config and set them up from scratch to make sure I didn't miss anything but the problem persisted. I tried upgrading all devices to 6.48 (stable) but that seemed to make things worse. Finally, I downgraded the stations to lowest I could 6.44.5 and left the WAP60gx3 AP at 6.48 and it seems to be much more stable. The only weird thing now is when I launch Winbox from the MainHouse it does not show the two stations in Neighbors. I can manage them by IP but not MAC. I did check the MAC server settings and it's set to all interfaces so I'm not sure what's up with that. Now if I manually type the MAC in Winbox it will connect to the station but then the stations start dropping ICMP packets and the link flaps. It's very strange. At least it's semi-working. Does anyone know if Mikrotik is working on this or have any advice/suggestions?

grlmutiajr
just joined

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:19 am

Hi OP @mitchcze,

We've seen this problem a few times all ready. We've got sites with bridged 60GHz Ptmp and Ptp setups, worked fine. This recent site we had, with a simple Ptmp setup (2 stations), started losing connectivity like you described. The odd thing about it is that there's mtk switches behind the stations, and we can ping it! Traffic seems to pass - there's a baseload of camera traffic and we see it traversing. From the mtk switches, we can ping the station in front of it and vice versa.

We've tried multiple fixes as per directed by mtk support:

one is turning on mdmg-fix. Only available through cli
 /interface w60g set 0 mdmg-fix=yes 
. No detailed information other than it improves 60GHz reliability (EDIT: checked again, apparently it does this: Experimental feature working only on wAP60Gx3 devices, providing better point to multi point stability in some cases)
second is applying an admin-mac on the station themselves.
third is changing STP protocol mode to none.

There are no consistent effect on the problem from the solutions above. They recommended upgrading it to a new version (at that time), 6.47.6, the problem went away! Now for the recent site, we've downgraded it to the same version, the problem is still there. We tried the above fixes, nothing happened. We even tried to work around it for now. Had a netwatch running, pinging the stations and once it drops, disable and re-enable. I know it's a messy workaround at the moment but we're a bit desperate. Lol

We reckon it's an arp issue, as the station interfaces would all have the same mac address dynamically. It creates an arp conflict somewhere down the pipe. We're not sure really, we are still experimenting but left it on the back burner for a while. Hope you've found a solution you can share.

Appreciate it.

grlmutiajr
just joined

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:21 am

Also, we kept seeing the error

wlan60-1: 2c:c8:1b:00:09:d4 authentication failed.

There is a level of authentication on the AP side, meaning SSID/password. They're all matched up. One thing we noticed also the links themselves are flapping quite a bit, so the constant drops on this new site might have created the issue anyway? We're not sure.

Thanks.

grlmutiajr
just joined

Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:13 am

Just a quick share:

Once the problem occurs, we noticed that no broadcast can pass through the problematic station. We've ran an experiment - got clients to connect to a switch behind the station and requested an IP address, we torched and saw there were discovery broadcasts but no replies being received. It is unclear at the moment if the broadcasts we're being dropped on the way to the server or the offer itself disappeared somewhere because the station started pinging again.

I hope this made sense and might help. Thanks.

agmltd
just joined

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:42 pm

Just a quick update regarding my experience and getting around this issue. I can confirm after making these two changes that I did not have a problem on the 60Ghz links. Please note that I will outline the characteristics of the issues I experienced at the end.

When experiencing this issue wherein no broadcasts are sent over the link. I have done the following:

1) Ensured that the 'put-stations-in-bridge' entry does not appear on the slave 60Ghz device and only on the master
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no frequency=62640 mode=bridge name=*** password=***
put-stations-in-bridge=bridge1 ssid=***

2) Enabled the following on the bridge settings *** this didn't add any noticeable overhead to a highly utilized link ***
/interface bridge settings
set use-ip-firewall=yes use-ip-firewall-for-vlan=yes

Symptoms of the Issues Experienced
  1. broadcast traffic is blocked once the issue occurs - most notciably DHCP. Other traffic still passes.
  2. upstream to downstream connectivity to the slave unit is lost, but down stream to upstream the slave units management interface is accessible: you can login to a downstream device over the link to jump into a management interface for the slave i.e. SSH or https
  3. running '/tool torch [stationInterfaceName]' brings the connectivity back
I hope this helps anyone experiencing the same issue.