Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

drracing07
just joined
Topic Author

R11e-LTE6 2CA not staying connected

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a R11e-LTE6 to test in place of my Sierra Wireless MC7455 connecting to AT&T in the states. With the MC7455 on router OS v7.0beta4 on a hap ac2, modem in a USB enclosure with 2 yagi antennas, I'm able to get about 40mb/s down and 5-7mb/s up. What I would like is some more insight on the LTE interface page with the MC7455, but that will come in time with support, I hope. In the mean time, I tried the R11e-LTE6 since it/s CAT6 and should support CA like the MC7455. What I'm seeing is that it will connect to either band 12, 17 or 2 primarily, and only sometimes if the primary is band 2, it will show 2CA with band 5 but then drop right back up. Speeds on any of the bands don't compare to how the MC7455 performs and it might be a combination of the low band distance and the high band 2 performance. The MC7455 also has bands 29 and 30, also used by AT&T but I'm not sure of those are coming into play. With the MC7455 connected to the routerboard, I can't get access to the AT commands to check anything, and if I plug it in my laptop, I can get AT commands but for some reason won't connect with data so I'm unable to check speeds. I know the MC7455 connects with CA, even if the screenshot i was able to grab shows inactive.

Some other posts show some issues with CA dropping. Is anyone able to get CA working? Thinking of trying a Telit LM940 too.
I should add that I'm experiencing the same thing with stable and testing releases of router OS
MC7455-1.jpg
MC7455-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SiB

Re: R11e-LTE6 2CA not staying connected

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:53 pm

drracing07
You not use a vendor documentation or search in this forum - this was write many times.
R11e-LTE6 not use B29 or B30. Maybe you should wait for lr11e-LTE6-US|4G version with better Band selection for you.
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/R11e-LTE6-1575025885.pdf

Band's what you say and answer why B2 as primary can have other ca-band.
QLKg36y3LY.png
Please use a CellLock into your B2 or B5 and then check ca-band.
I use a realease candidate v22 of modem firmware but in official v20 I had the same issue that ca-band can never connect if I use "few disable/enable lte1" or "few at*cell= command" but always after at+reset or usb power-reset or reboot the ca-band work wary well if I have a good signal (in my case).

ca-band works, can work stable with good signal.
I have B3+B8 works 24/7
7aQdQ5OZNy.png
If you have this possibility plese:
  • give a model of your usb wwan adapter
  • do in table the comparison of Band/Speed/rsrp on both modem with this 2xYAGI antenas.
  • The same but without external antenas give us a amplification per band of your YAGI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SiB on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software
I will be at MUMEUROPE Prague on 26-27 march 2020

tommy91
just joined

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks a lot for answering. I was also facing the same problem now I get solution.

Acryli

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:48 am

What I'm seeing is that it will connect to either band 12, 17 or 2 primarily, and only sometimes if the primary is band 2, it will show 2CA with band 5 but then drop right back up.
That's actually the normal behavior of any LTE modem.
The carrier aggregation channels are only used on heavy load, after that the CA bands are released.

Check the status with AT-commands while you download a huge file.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:57 am

I've described briefly how CA works in another thread.
BR,
Metod

SiB

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:02 pm

I can add even info from one of answers MikroTik Support Team about 2xCA
Artis M.03/01/20 16:21:46
Modem should follow handshake/commands from eNB (base station), so we can't write firmware that permanently enables CA. For instance in Latvia, major cellular providers have a different view for CA, one activates CA at connection, and keeps it active for some time, even without significant traffic, other enables CA only when it is needed. By the way second even offers as service TV reception using Andriod/iOS app using its cellular network (same content as DVB-T).

Best regards,
and my ISP in Poland (Cyfrowy Polsat) give me a ca-band to non-stop even if I don't any traffic at lte1.
Other ISP (Play) must have at least 10MB/10minuts from my testing to not disconnect me ca-band.
All this is dependence of YOUR ISP, not your modem feature.

About R11e-LTE6 I give you a hint in AT commands.
Do a loop every 1s with: "at+eemginfo\?" and in separately terminal thise one command /log print follow-only where message~"EEMLTEINTER:|EEMLTEINTRA:" to see that send you a your eNB with what parameters because answers are in syntax "x,phy-cellid,earfcn,~rsrp,~rsrq".
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software

drracing07
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies.
I am aware that B29 and 30 aren't on this modem. Unsure if the MC7455 was locking to them or not.

I wasn't aware that CA wouldn't always stay up, so that's good to know. With the LTE6 modem, even if I ran a speedtest or large download, it wouldn't connect CA.

Is a US version of the R11e-LTE6 coming out? Wasn't aware of that or I would have waited for that. Is there a way to get r22 firmware for this one? I'd like to try it out.

SiB

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 am

drracing07
With the LTE6 modem, even if I ran a speedtest or large download, it wouldn't connect CA.
Try "at+reset" / usb power-reset / reboot.
Be sure that set band="" means auto-selection is set to LTE6 who can connect to one of any of them and try assign the ca-band.
You can reach 2+5 or 2+12 or 2+17 means the CellLock on 2 or 12 or 17 is good way to check
Is a US version of the R11e-LTE6 coming out? Wasn't aware of that or I would have waited for that. Is there a way to get r22 firmware for this one? I'd like to try it out.
In separe post the MikroTik team say they plan create new version but I think we must wait for MUM Prague to anonce the new info about new hardware. But for sure someting will be in future.
Check the firmware because my version is release candidate and I share with support all my feedback and wait for news as you. You can send e-mail to support@mikrotik.com about this. For me the RC version of firmware should be shared with beta version of ROS.