Community discussions

MikroTik App

davie107
just joined
Topic Author

Using Hap Ac lite as wireless bridge with Hap Ac

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi All,

I was previously using a Mikrotik Hap AC as a wireless bridge for my office upstairs, however am now using the Hap AC as my main home router which I have setup using the quick sets.

I purchased a Hap Ac Lite and have put it into CPE mode on the quickset menu and connected to my wireless network. I am sure this is all I had done previously with my HAP ac and it worked faultlessly. However no matter what settings I use, bridge mode/ router mode/ bridge ports etc my office devices receive a random IP address not in the same range as my home network.

What have I missed? All I am trying to achieve is 4 ethernet ports that devices in my NAS and other devices in my office can plug into and then be connected to my home network.

Please let me know if any other info is required. Pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Using Hap Ac lite as wireless bridge with Hap Ac

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Post a configuration Export...

Or, fix it manually:

Connect using winbox, go to Neighbor tab, locate & double click on hAP Ac Lite Mac address.

This sounds as if hAP AC Lite had its own DHCP:

- Go to IP > DHCP server tab and delete/disable it.
- Go to IP > Addresses and delete any Static IPs
- Go To Bridge ports tab. All interfaces should be added to the lan bridge: wlan1, wlan2, ether1-ether5
- Go to IP > DHCP Client, and change/add one on top of the lan bridge.

Now you have a wired/wireless switch, everything in the same LAN segment, so devices wired to the hAP AC Lite, (and hAP AC Lite) will get IPs straight from the main hAP AC router DHCP.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:34 pm

You may also want to move all interfaces in the interface lists to the "LAN" interface list, not the "WAN" interface list.

As the wiki states the limitations of the WAN interface.

"CPE Router
In this type of configurations router is configured as wireless client device. WAN interface is Wireless interface. WAN port has configured DHCP client, is protected by IP firewall and MAC discovery/connection is disabled...."

An interface is a WAN interface in the default config if the interface is in the WAN list ... The fastest way I know to remove all these limitations and set the LAN features is to change the "interface list".for the interfaces. (If everything is bridged, only the bridge matters as interface)
(Changing firewall and NAT rules and other IP settings that use "WAN" as list is better, but not that simple.)

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:19 pm

ouch, forgot about that...

Remove any IP > Firewall filter / nat rules and reboot, what you want is a pure L2 device... it will perform better as CPU will only be used to forward from wireless interface to the bridge; forwarding between its ether ports will be done by the switch chip with hw acceleration.

A "humble" hAP lite setup this way saturates easily its wireless without going over 20% CPU.

davie107
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:15 am

Thanks for the responses, finally managed to get hold of a windows pc to run winbox. I have followed all of the recommended steps however still no luck and my devices are still receiving random IP address's not in the routers range.

How do I get a config report out of winbox as hopefully this will shed some more light on the issue?

Thanks

Dave

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Open winbox ---->
Winbox
New Terminal

type ---->
export file filenamehere <---------fill in a filename
or ---->
export < ------ to show in terminal session

Download the file from Files

Direct SSH or Telnet replaces "New Terminal" if you want.
"export ?" shows the oprions, like "hide-sensitive"