Community discussions

MikroTik App

MMorris
Topic Author

Wireless with low bandwith

Sun May 06, 2007 7:51 pm

I have a 10 mile link and can only get 4.2 mbps TX and RX. i have tryed 5 ghz turbo and nothing changes. if you look at the Status of the netowk conection it says that it is conected at 24 mbps/36mbps

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 07, 2007 5:00 pm

What are you using for testing? You need to use the built in ping test in the MT router to get a realistic result. What are you signal strengths? Are they pretty stable or fluctuating? Are you trying to use encryption on the link?

Do you have Line of Site and clear Fresnel Zone between the two ends of your link?

If the signal strength is weak or fluctuating, encryption can compound the problem. Do your testing with encryption disabled.

Regards

Chris Macneill

MMorris
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2007 7:35 pm

I am using the Bandwith test under tools. Signal Strength for one of my links is TX/RX -62/-55 Noise Floor -99. it says it is conected at 54 mbps but when i do a bandwith test i only get TX/RX Average of 6.1 MBPS/11.4 Mbps. shouldnt i get better bandwith? I am using Compression which seamed to help a little bit. but i am thinking i should have better speeds.

Thanks,

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 07, 2007 8:37 pm

I have clients getting 12mbps at 5 miles on 10mhz channels so I would think yes you should get better speeds.
Are you running the bandwidth tester as both or receive then send.
On the link I just tested the BWT show 12mbps send or recieve but on both it's 5.9mbps RX/TX.
Is the link a PtP or PtMP?
If it's PtP have you tried Nstreme?
You can also try unchecking the supported data rates of 54,48,36 on each side. Some times it helps to run the link slower so that it doesn't bounce up and down.
What antennas, router boards and radios are you using?
How high are you over the trees at each side?

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Download the PC bandwidth test tool.
Install on 2 PCs one at each end of the link.
Do Bandwidth test between the PC's.

The Router Boards have to work extra hard to create the IP Packets, so the results will be skewd.

By doing the test from PC to PC is a true test as you do not expect your router to be creating the packets..

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Don't forget that wireless is half-duplex, it can send and receive, but not both simultaneously, so you will see half the bandwidth if you do a TX/RX test compared to TX or RX only.

Sounds to me like you might be getting interference from other local wireless units. Try changing frequencies to see if you find one that works faster.

Regards

Chris Macneill

MMorris
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2007 10:45 pm

Im not shure of what the dishes are. I didnt purchase them. the were suposed to be for nstream because they have 2 feed horns so it can do it.

I have tryed switching channels but nothing helps. i also tryed 5ghz turbo and nothing changes.
I finally got nstream 2 working in my test environment and am looking at implementing it this summer. but just wondering why it says conected at 54 MBPS but when i did the bandwith test i only get at the most 10 TX and RX which would be 20 Mbps. i understand the testing on 2 computers on each end and will try that.

Thanks for the ideas!

I am new at this and learning as i go.

MMorris
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2007 10:47 pm

When i try 5ghz turbo when i go under rates tabe it only gose up to 54 mbps and when it conects it shows 54 mbps how do you get even close to 108 mbps on that?