Community discussions

MikroTik App

confused
just joined
Topic Author

Setting up to act as a simple DHCP wireless router? How?

Tue May 08, 2007 2:28 am

I've posted before that this router confuzes the hell out of me but regardless I need to get it working. I've been using it as a wireless switch by setting up a bridge between ethernet1 and wan1 using Winbox. Then letting windows internet sharing act as the DHCP server. I would love to have the routerboard 500 act as a DHCP server but I cannot figure out how to do that. I created an IP pool and setup the WAN1 as a dhcp server and it sends out IPs but I cannot get it to pass internet through it which is coming in from the ethernet1 port.

What am I missing?

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 08, 2007 3:48 am

Draw/attach a simple diagram of your setup , include all the ips of dsl router etc , makes it easier to help you.

confused
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2007 3:27 am

incoming internet goes into lan 1. Its setup for DHCP there with a public IP address. Lan 2 connects directly to a wireless router. I am using windows xp and internet sharing is enabled so Lan 2 has the IP of 192.168.0.1. The wireless router (routerboard 500) is setup to receive a DHCP IP address from Lan 2. So it gets an address of 192.168.0.100, generally.

From there I want the routerboard 500 to assign IPs to any wireless clients. Currently the routerboard is setup like a switch so wireless customers are getting IPs from the windows internet sharing which is working, but Id rather have the routerboard handle all the DHCP.

So basically, I want the ethernet1 port to obtain an IP via DHCP, then I want the wan1 port to act as a dhcp server to any wireless clients. Like any storebought router would do.

usrox
just joined

Wed May 09, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi, its more simpler if you build one bridge interface and put ether1 and wireless (AP mode) on bridge. If you want to make the routerboard as DHCP-relay you can use DHCP-relay feature.
I just wondering if you already have routerboard as router why you still use windows

Sorry for my bad english. :)

confused
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Because I haven't gotten it to work as a router. I am missing a step. If I setup the router as a dhcp server on WAN1 and setup ethernet1 to obtain via DHCP it doesnt work. The wireless computers do get an IP from the routerboard, but internet is not available so I think im missing a step somewhere to pass internet through ethernet1 to wan1.

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 10, 2007 6:39 am

You need either a source-nat or masquerade firewall rule to do what you are trying to do - the internal address needs to nat/masq to an external address. Since you are using dhcp-client, you'd be best off using a masquerade rule with the source address as your internal IP subnet.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 10, 2007 9:24 am