Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

gigarf
just joined
Topic Author

How to replace one omni antenna with 4 x sector antennas ?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 am

Is there any one who can give the answer/idea/solution for my questions below ?

First of all please refer to PTP link configuration below;
PTP Link.png
May I ask how to replace above omnidirectional antenna with 4 x Sector Antennas as below based on Routerboard(RB912UAG-2HPnD)
by any idea or additional device such as 4xdiversity antenna switch ?
Multi Sector Antenna.png

I don't know if this is a little silly question but how about configuration (each RF port's V/H Pol. cross connection to different sector antenna) below in case that the left radio on the boat is turning?
For the above link communication I think the frequency/bandwidth set-up configuration for the two radio cards on the boat should be same as the radio card of directional antenna on the Ground.
Does it work normally or not ? What kind of problems may happen?
Cross MIMO antenna connection.png

Best regards,
Charlie Cho
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to replace one omni antenna with 4 x sector antennas ?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm

What do you plan to achieve, why do you need sector instead of omni? Normally you use sectors to make sure you only cover a narrow area OR you want to separate clients for better interference etc. Then you need as many wireless interfaces as sector antennas.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

gigarf
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How to replace one omni antenna with 4 x sector antennas ?

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 am

As you may understand our main application is a wireless control & monitoring between Ground or Mothership and boat(Manned or/and unmanned control such as USV).
We just want to expand the link distance when we need to control / monitor the USV(Unmanned Surface Vehicle) from Ground/Mothership control center as much longer distance as possible.
Normally we install and use omnidirectional MIMO antenna with low gain on the boat (USV), which has limited gain.
We can achieve much higher antenna gain if we instal 4 x sector antennas with 90degree beamwidth so that we can cover 360degree horizontal if we can configure those sector antennas with Router Board.
However we don't know how to configure the 4 x sector antennas for 360degree coverage with space diversity effect.
So we are looking for any good solution / other idea based on router board(RB9122UAG-2HPnD) PTP link with regard to USV control / monitoring application for much longer distance link.

Your kind & useful advice/recommendation/information would be highly appreciated.