Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gigair
just joined
Topic Author

Really disappointed in the lack of support. Evolved 3G Really?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:23 am

-I have called the people we purchased from.

-I have left a ticket Support.

-I have started threads to try to verify everything before purchasing.

-I have responded to thread where the SAME issues are occurring for others... and I have have YET to hear from the experts. The ones who make the products, code it, etc.

It's maddening to not get answers from Mikrotik. The R11e-LTE6 is not staying connected. The signal jumps from excellent to nothing for no reason other than it wants to. No rain, Storm, wind... just does it.

It will not produce 4G LTE. No matter what carrier or tower, it will not do anything other than "evolved 3g" with this test unit (LHG LTE6) a little more than a mile away. Every sim card from 3 carriers.. 3g. Put them in a phone... 4g LTE.

- Yes the towers have the supported bands
- Yes I upgraded. In fact, I reset it. And upgraded again.

Why can't we get real answers to the issues?

BitHaulers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Really disappointed in the lack of support. Evolved 3G Really?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:12 pm

I've had no problems with the Cat 6, or any other modem, in any of the Mikrotiks.

I'd hazard a guess that it's your provisioning on the SIM. I assume you are using the latest firmware, but I haven't had problems since 6.44, so...

I've had SIMs only give 3G when they aren't provisioned correctly. A refresh of the SIM fixes it for me, usually.

Gigair
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:59 pm

I assume you are using the latest firmware, but I haven't had problems since 6.44

running 6.46.4. I assume that's the latest?
I've had SIMs only give 3G when they aren't provisioned correctly. A refresh of the SIM fixes it for me, usually.
Willing to try anything. Can you walk me through your process?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:57 pm

-I have called the people we purchased from.
Check if they are at Distribution list: https://mikrotik.com/buy and if they a proper distributor then they give you support and warranty.

-I have started threads to try to verify everything before purchasing.
? means some post at forum? I don't know what you mean by this point.

-I have responded to thread where the SAME issues are occurring for others... and I have have YET to hear from the experts. The ones who make the products, code it, etc.
Of course, the programmers of ROS not respond at this forum or even if they do then they not write "I am programmer".
If you buy RB from distributor then they should give your support. You say in upper line then you called to them but what they say ?
If you not have answer from distributor then Write it to sales@mikrotik.com !

It's maddening to not get answers from Mikrotik.
They not must answer because they create a distributor's network and this should solve problems with support.
Additional they do a forum and answer on some case's at they Support Ticket system. But this is not 100% support, and they can not answer.
Check: https://mikrotik.com/support
  • MikroTik product support service
    Most of your questions are answered and explained in RouterOS documentation.

If you have bought a RouterOS license or a hardware product, limited support service might be provided through our support system. Contact your distributor for help and support, if device is not directly purchased from MikroTik.
    You can hire a certified consultant for full configuration support, network design and other diagnostics.
    Check our community forum.
The R11e-LTE6 is not staying connected. The signal jumps from excellent to nothing for no reason other than it wants to. No rain, Storm, wind... just does it.

In my opinion it's know case and it's solved at current Release Candidate version, you must wait to publication date.
At out-of-box modem-firmware v20 I do testing by placing the device on floor or metal trash or direct position with opposite site to bts/enb.. and that way device loose signal and not have internet (offline) and not recovered to online.
I must do some own script who check parameters, ping's etc. and do some re-enable action to bring modem into online. All this are fixed and we must wait for new firmware.

But if you use the CellLock feature then I must say it's still can stuck/freeze in offline even by himself. If MikroTik give me any subversion of modem-firmware then I testing it and give them by feedback. No one at forum do the same testing or I not see the same case (CellLock and stuck in offline).

It will not produce 4G LTE. No matter what carrier or tower, it will not do anything other than "evolved 3g" with this test unit (LHG LTE6) a little more than a mile away. Every sim card from 3 carriers.. 3g. Put them in a phone... 4g LTE.
I think it's some misunderstanding here.
Status like
  • "Evolved 3G (LTE)" This is 4G=LTE with only one Band, without second band know as ca-band.
  • "Evolved 3G (LTE CA2)" This is 4G=LTE with second band know as ca-band
Means, Evolved 3G (LTE) = Next Generation of 3G = Newer then 3G = 4G = LTE
I hope you not thinking that "Evolved 3G" is 3G connection, it's 4G LTE connection.
You can easy check this by selecting the network type, one to 3G and one to LTE and check with what network/tower/speed you receive.
[marcin.przysowa@SXTR_LTE6] > /interface lte set lte1 network-mode=
3g  gsm  lte
[marcin.przysowa@SXTR_LTE6] > /interface lte set lte1 network-mode=lte
- Yes the towers have the supported bands
- Yes I upgraded. In fact, I reset it. And upgraded again.
Show the INFO when you are connected and write your question.
/interface lte info lte1 once 
Why can't we get real answers to the issues?
Means question like from title of this case?

Really disappointed in the lack of support.
I write you at start of this post.

Evolved 3G Really?
Yes, 4G=LTE. It's not device 5G yet. At MUM Europe the MikroTik plan give info about new products but we must wait for new MUM.

inteq

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:46 am

To reiterate what SiB stated:
4G LTE is technically 3G with some magic sprinkled on top. More precisely you can call it 3.95G.
The 4G in the name is only marketing. A bit like what AT&T did with their fake 5G E logo.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:59 am

Actually its the other way around:

LTE is truly fourth generation of mobile technology and on physical part of air interface it has nothing in common with 3G (core network elements are different as well).
For example: 3G used CDMA (code-division multiple access), UMTS used WCDMA (wide-band CDMA) while 4G uses OFDMA. 3G standardized CS services (circuit-switched, a.k.a traditional voice and video) while 4G only caters for packet (IP) services (this isn't only about core network, radio interface had to support CS services as well). 3G is always using 3.84Mcps chanel (nominally 5MHz), 4G can use different channel widths (1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20MHz nominally, physically around 90% of that to allow side guard bands).
Etc.

The marketing mess of naming comes from "political" decission that "fourth generation of mobile communications shall enable 1Gbps transfer rates". LTE only offered around 150Mbps initially and raised the bar to the vicinity of 1Gbps with massive CA, hence a few (MT is one of few) vendors (deciding to be politically correct) decided to call LTE "3G evolved" - the rest went with 4G or simply LTE (I don't see why MT doesn't call it LTE).
5G won't bring any huge difference when using existing frequency bands (air interface wise 5G is much more an evolution of LTE than LTE was evolution of 3G), initially making it "3g evolved" as well ....

So this is the problem when marketing people are admited (or they manage to bluff their way in) to technical advisory commitees :wink:

inteq

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 pm

What is the other way around?
The discussion is about 4G LTE not "true" LTE.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 pm

You wrote:
4G LTE is technically 3G with some magic sprinkled on top. More precisely you can call it 3.95G.
And I'm saying your quoted statement is all wrong.

Now you're mentioning "4G LTE" and "true LTE". Would you care to explain what is what? I'm fearing you're spreading some more FUD here ...

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:57 pm

mkx
inteq
mkx
You wrote:
inteq
And I'm saying your quoted statement is all wrong.

Now you're mentioning "4G LTE" and "true LTE". Would you care to explain what is what? I'm fearing you're spreading some more FUD here ...
I agree with mkx.

inteq , You can setup connectivity with only LTE network by
/interface lte set lte1 network-mode=lte
All connection what you receive will be 4G = LTE with status:
  • "Evolved 3G (LTE)" This is 4G=LTE with only one Band, without second band know as ca-band.
  • "Evolved 3G (LTE CA2)" This is 4G=LTE with second band know as ca-band
Means, Evolved 3G (LTE) in ROS are 4G = LTE

I have ISP who have differ speed's and GB limits at 3G and 4G and this is next proof that settings network-mode=lte is 4G - I see GB transfer at LTE service, not 3G.
I know the nationality government documents with Bands and separate freq. for 3G and 4G and know two what cell I connect. All LTE are LTE.

You can thinking about marketing stuff what some ISP say and this is know as "4G Ready", this marketing is every were, you remember HDReady before TV with FullHD, now it's 4K ready. The power os speakers are not in Watt now but trms etc. etc. etc.

inteq

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:40 pm

I'm fearing you're spreading some more FUD here ...
No reason to fear.
I said 4G LTE is just marketing and not real, true 4G. I am talking speed wise.
You replied with "Actually its the other way around" and I asked "What is the other way around?"
Are you stating that 4G LTE = real 4G? Again, I am talking about speed capability.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Again, I am talking about speed capability.
As I wrote: speed-related naming (3G evolved, 3.9G, whatever) is just marketing BS. We're on technological forum here and technologically we're talking about fourth generation of mobile network technologies (a.k.a 4G). And for me as long time senior RF engineer who built both 3G and 4G networks for incumbent European telco, this is the only criterion for numbering the generation of technology regardless the end throughput users might get.

In addition, I reacted to your claim
The 4G in the name is only marketing. A bit like what AT&T did with their fake 5G E logo.
and I can't find anything about speed capability, but you did imply some technical details (which, again, in reality they are just the opposite from what you stated).

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:05 am

The US started a fake 4G marketing trend around 2010 (not LTE).

Now they are doing the same with 5G.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:53 pm

8y ago, Poland ISP "Play" start marketing with 3G HSPA+ as "LTE Ready"
now "Play" start marketing with 4G LTE-A who use LTE Rel.12 and newer (mimo 4x4, 256qam) as "5G Ready"

Other ISP in Poland, the "Orange" some time ago create marketing like where ADSL+ was a "Neostrada Fiber", where typical marketing name for adsl is "Neostrada". It's like "ADSL Fiber" :)

World of marketing is differ from technician.
We must do know a lot to not buy the "cat in the bag"

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:04 pm

In some other countries FTTN/FTTC and HFC are also marketed as fiber, but at least there is some.

ninja365

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Gigair,

None of the SXT or LHG devices i've deployed (around 30 or so) ever show LTE 4G, its always evolved 3G but i don't think thats your problem......

The expectation of the LHG performance and the reality are quite different, i've found the SXT LTE to be a better all round performer which is why i've only installed 2 x LHG units to very isolated rural locations where they do work well with mast distances 3 - 5 miles away.

I've always found the support from Mikrotik to be good either via the forum or by the support ticket system. Not sure who your local distributor is but i would be returning the equipment as faulty citing the reasons you have posted here and let them test it and then order an SXT unit. I've had one SXT unit that wouldn't connect out of the box which was returned and credited with no fuss or drama.
If i can be of any more help, drop me a note.