Community discussions

MikroTik App

pkropf
just joined
Topic Author

Mesh Network for Art Cars

Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:01 pm

I'm looking for some hardware recommendations for a project I'm working with. I'd like to set up a wireless mesh network between 6 - 8 art cars to allow them to share music, lighting and otherwise synchronize effects. When the cars are in range of each other, their access points would connect and form a mesh network that allows for the transfer of data among them. As the cars move away, the mesh would reduce until the next time 2 or more cars come together.

There seem to be a number of MikroTik devices that may work for my intended purposes. Would there be some recommendations that may work for me?

Thanks!

- Peter

ctop

Re: Mesh Network for Art Cars

Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Following - trying to do the same thing, the Audience would work - but trying to build it out other products, like maybe a NetMetal, OmniTek and or Metal5

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:28 am

Assuming you means "cars" as in automobiles (i.e., as opposed to "AV carts"), I would expect you would like a weatherproof unit. My first choice would be one of the wAP models.

ctop

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:20 am

Assuming you means "cars" as in automobiles (i.e., as opposed to "AV carts"), I would expect you would like a weatherproof unit. My first choice would be one of the wAP models.
dumb question, do they need to be facing each other?

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:25 am

Although one might infer that a wAP is directional from its wall-mount design, it is in fact omnidirectional.

pkropf
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:04 am

dumb question, do they need to be facing each other?
It would be better if they don't need to face a particular direction. So directional won't work all that well for this.

pkropf
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:07 am

Definitely not AV carts. These are often built on anything from a quad runner to 30' flatbed trucks.

I'll look at the wAP models, thanks.