MikroTik App

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

dynamic WDS triplet - link association flapping

Mon May 28, 2007 2:41 am

Hello All,

Scenario: One wds AP master (RB532) two wds slaves (RB112), all same SSID, all wds enabled dynamic.

Topology: All three devices are able to detect each other (not equal signal strength though - i.e. one wds slave is -72 to the AP, -60 at the other WDS slave)

Problem: When the master and any one of the slaves is active, then WDS comes up solid and strong - no problem at all. When the master and BOTH slaves are active, the WDS association rapidly flaps between each device. e.g. slave 2 associates with AP, then slave 1, then AP, then...

The only way around this that I have so far been able to determine is to set the slaves to static WDS config.

I have been toying with the idea of setting up some smart scripting to dynamically create a static wds bridge as soon as a dynamic link comes up, and then remove it again if the link is lost.

Can anyone suggest whether this is a feasible plan, or whether there exists some alternative solution?

Thanks, regards, Mike.

TC
just joined

Re: dynamic WDS triplet - link association flapping

Wed May 30, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi,
I do no think the script is a good idea.

Can you post the config of the wireless interfaces so that we take a look ?

Tony

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2007 1:41 am

Hi Tony,

thanks for your reply.

the wireless interfaces are virtually default setup. 'why' do you think it is not a good idea? I have thought about this a fair bit (without actually attempting to implement any of it yet! ;-) and the only downside that I can think of is potentially causing an issue if the slave is powered down, and then the master goes offline permanently before it comes back up again.

my understanding of the script trigger mechanisms, though, leads me to suspect that this may not be a problem in the end tho...

Cheers, Mike.

JR
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 31, 2007 2:01 am

i suggest you use static wds, each router with 2 static wds interfaces with mac of each of the other 2 routers.
you may then route between interfaces or bridge them.
see the wiki for more details.

JR

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2007 2:10 am

Hello JR,

thanks for your reply!

the reason that I hope to avoid static WDS is because for this particular application, I will have no foreknowledge of the physical layout of devices prior to shipping. There is also not necessarily any way to know even what mac addresses may exist in the general area.

the device itself needs to work out the best opportunity on power-up (a-la dynamic wds) and then 'lock on' to the first wds opportunity available.

thus the script concept.

cheers.