MikroTik App

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Cap AC wifi speed is terrible bad.

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi,

I searched and read Cap AP threads and seems it either works or not. Mine is not. :(

Situation, private house, 4G+ Huawei B535 router, only 2,4 GHz enabled, Huawei > LAN > RB750GL > Engenius EAP300. Speed was 20-25 down/up. As EAP supports only 100MB LAN and 2,4 GHz, I decided to change it to Cap AC. Configured Cap AC it as router, Huawei > eth1 (wan), eth2 (lan) > 1G switch > Lenovo X230. Huawei is located at the second floor, about 8 m from where I test (I'm the only user). Cap AC is located 3 m away.

Using LAN (true Cap AC) or Huawei I get 50-70 down and 35-45 up, no matter, LAN or WiFi, speed is same.
Using Cap AC, I can barely get 15-20 down and strangely 30-40 up.

This is even worst than Engenius can do, even more, my very old Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 can do better.
Firmware 6.46.5, current (I tried all kind settings, no luck) conf is:

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] antenna-gain=2 band=2ghz-g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country=estonia disabled=no frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge security-profile=xb ssid=test wps-mode=disabled

Do the Mikrotik WiFi must be really mikro wifi? This kind of product should not be sold at all!
Last edited by ksuuk on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Cap AC wifi speed is terrible bad.

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Before we look into your 2GHz problem .... Why are you not using 5GHz and ac standard? This product can easily reach 500-600Mbit over wifi.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Before we look into your 2GHz problem .... Why are you not using 5GHz and ac standard? This product can easily reach 500-600Mbit over wifi.
As 5GHz ends about 3 meters from AP, so no use for me at all :(.

And as I wanted to be sure that 2,4GHz is getting same speed, as it does from Huawei.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm

5 meters, sounds hard to believe. Are you sure the client device is not the issue? 5Ghz should work fine even on opposite end of your building, with phone as client. Try to test other devices connected to it.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:12 pm

5 meters, sounds hard to believe. Are you sure the client device is not the issue? 5Ghz should work fine even on opposite end of your building, with phone as client. Try to test other devices connected to it.

Ok, I probably I exaggerated a bit about 5Ghz coverage, but let's concentrate the 2,4 Ghz issue. How the fix the 2,4GHz speed. I tested with multiple devices, they all give same result, Huawei & 2,4GHz = all OK, Cap AC & 2,4GHz = all NOK.

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:44 pm

For 2.4GHz, try use only 20MHz instead of 20/40, use wpa2 aes only, set indoor, basic rate 12/24, supported rate 12~54, enable WMM. I got a pretty good speed like about 80~95mbps, but it really depends on your environment and client

raffav

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:29 pm

I really would like to get this speed over 5g using capsman I tried all settings possible

My average is 190-230 either using speedtest over Internet or local file transfer in my network

My client is tplink ac 1900 and I'm 2 Mt from the ap

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:38 pm

please don't hijack another persons topic, make your own. capsman will always be a little slower than without.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Made some more tests, laptop uses Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN dual-band 802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi adapter that delivers speed up to 300 Mbps. Installed FileZilla FTP server into laptop and connected from other computer via 1G LAN and uploaded/downloaded 1,8GB file, and speed is about 30MB up/down.

So I have eliminated all aspects except Cap AC. So Microtik, the Cap AC is not what is should be based spec -s https://mikrotik.com/product/cap_ac

Ans as I see, that also official support is silent (they acknowledge the problem), so how to proceed as I need product that works. Mikrotik - can I send it You and get some other, better model?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:23 pm

MikroTik is great stuff and it requires a learning curve. There community is great and really active. For any user from beginner to master.

Good, in regards to your problem: your settings require optimization. Already mentioned by @heidarren there are some basic settings that have to be obeyed.
In regards to your remark about the performance "and speed is about 30MB up/down". This is practically impossible on the 2G radio. Sounds to me like the test was performed on the 5G radio.

If you want some help, please first start by sharing your configuration (/export hide-sensitive). From thereon we can advice you.
Ans as I see, that also official support is silent, so how to proceed as I need product that works. Mikrotik - can I send it You and get some other, better model?
What official support are you referring to? What kind of support are you expecting? Also the more expensive models require configuration...

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Correction MB > Mbps, so I get about 3 Mbps, which is very low rate. Like I said before, only 2,4Ghz is active, so what more to optimize? Current full (the wifi part was in my first post also) conf is:

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk group-key-update=1h management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=xb supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa-pre-shared-key=xb wpa2-pre-shared-key=\
xb
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] antenna-gain=0 band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-a/g=12Mbps,24Mbps basic-rates-b="" country=no_country_set disabled=no frequency-mode=manual-txpower installation=\
indoor mode=ap-bridge nv2-cell-radius=10 nv2-downlink-ratio=70 preamble-mode=short rate-set=configured security-profile=xb ssid=xb supported-rates-a/g=\
12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps supported-rates-b="" tx-power=23 tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled

I played with tx-power and nv2-downlink-ratio, without any positive result.

BTW, I have used Mikrotik products about 7 years, and with every new product I hope, that now all is OK. Last failure was hAP ac lite TC, same problem, low speed, bad 5GHz coverage. Seems nothing is improved. :(

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:47 pm

BTW, I have used Mikrotik products about 7 years, and with every new product I hope, that now all is OK. Last failure was hAP ac lite TC, same problem, low speed, bad 5GHz coverage. Seems nothing is improved. :(
After 7 years of thinking MT does everything wrong, it would be right time to invest in MTCNA and MTCWE courses to finally understand how WiFi (and MT) works. There are several really good MT lecturers in Estonia.

For free beer when we meet I give you this standard configuration. Don't mess with things you don't understand. I don't know exact numbers for 2GHz, but 5GHZ AC runs easily 40-50MB/sec downloads:
# 2.4GHz configuration: SSID: wifi2ghz, WPS disabled, security profile: turva1, only 802.11N enabled.
/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-XX country=estonia \
disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto frequency-mode=regulatory-domain installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge \
antenna-gain=2 security-profile=turva1 ssid=wifi2ghz wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode
# 5GHz configuration: SSID: wifi5ghz, WPS disabled, security profile: turva1, only 802.11AC and N enabled.
/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=estonia \
disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto frequency-mode=regulatory-domain installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge \
antenna-gain=3 security-profile=turva1 ssid=wifi5ghz wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm

add authentication-types=wpa2-psk group-key-update=1h management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=xb supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa-pre-shared-key=xb wpa2-pre-shared-key=\
xb
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] antenna-gain=0 band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-a/g=12Mbps,24Mbps basic-rates-b="" country=no_country_set disabled=no frequency-mode=manual-txpower installation=\
indoor mode=ap-bridge nv2-cell-radius=10 nv2-downlink-ratio=70 preamble-mode=short rate-set=configured security-profile=xb ssid=xb supported-rates-a/g=\
12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps supported-rates-b="" tx-power=23 tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled

Never use wpa2-psk tkip ---> change it to only wpa2-psk aes and 802.11n only.
WPA2-PSK TKIP use too much cpu and slow down everything.

I never go under 60 Mbits with only 20Mhz Channel (for less interference from near APs).
Your wifi client (Intel 6205) is a 2x2 and can do better.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:16 pm

After 7 years of thinking MT does everything wrong, it would be right time to invest in MTCNA and MTCWE courses to finally understand how WiFi (and MT) works. There are several really good MT lecturers in Estonia.
Well, As You see, every users have his own settings, claiming that these are the best, so which to choose? However, I'did import these settings now and 2,4GHz FTP download = 2,9-3,0 MB/sec 5Ghz FTP download = 4,5-5,0 MB/sec, LAN FTP download 90-92 Mb/sec. So what next?

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:18 pm

Never use wpa2-psk tkip ---> change it to only wpa2-psk aes and 802.11n only.
WPA2-PSK TKIP use too much cpu and slow down everything.

I never go under 60 Mbits with only 20Mhz Channel (for less interference from near APs).
Your wifi client (Intel 6205) is a 2x2 and can do better.
But I'm not using tkip, I'm using aes only:
mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa2-psk unicast-ciphers=aes-ccm group-ciphers=aes-ccm

And about only 20Mhz channel, tried this also, no difference, but I can try again.

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:24 pm

In the last try a full reset of the device. I had a few problem with some used wap ac (with same configuration of other wap ac i have) and the reset has resolved all of them.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:41 pm

You have checked channel and interference? Download WiFi analyzer and check, search online what can interfere whit wifi signal - microwave, Bluetooth, wireless mice and keyboard etc.

If you can use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 pm

In the last try a full reset of the device. I had a few problem with some used wap ac (with same configuration of other wap ac i have) and the reset has resolved all of them.
Using - /system reset-configuration keep-users=no no-defaults=yes skip-backup=yes

Does this wipe everything?

raffav

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:56 pm

Using - /system reset-configuration keep-users=no no-defaults=yes skip-backup=yes

Does this wipe everything?
Yes
but why you do not post your config first maybe it just some misconfiguration
export file=conifg hide-sensitive this will remove all password from the file

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:21 pm

Yes
I didn't want to bother, but here is the config:
# apr/22/2020 22:14:28 by RouterOS 6.46.5
# software id = TUUQ-A81D
#
# model = RouterBOARD cAP Gi-5acD2nD
# serial number = 81CF08D00F71
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] name=eth1-wan
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=eth2-lan
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=CC:2D:E0:D7:78:A4 auto-mac=no name=bridge-lan
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk group-key-update=1h management-protection=\
    allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=xb supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-b="" country=\
    estonia disabled=no distance=indoors installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge \
    preamble-mode=short rate-set=configured security-profile=xb ssid=xb \
    supported-rates-b="" wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled \
    wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=estonia disabled=no distance=indoors \
    installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge security-profile=xb ssid=xb \
    wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
/ip pool
add name=dhcp_pool ranges=192.168.30.100-192.168.30.130
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp_pool disabled=no interface=bridge-lan lease-time=1d10m \
    name=dhcp-server
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge-lan interface=eth2-lan
add bridge=bridge-lan interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge-lan interface=wlan2
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=LAN
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge-lan list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=eth1-wan list=WAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.30.1/24 interface=bridge-lan network=192.168.30.0
add address=192.168.8.252/24 interface=eth1-wan network=192.168.8.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=no interface=eth1-wan
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.30.0/24 dns-server=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 gateway=192.168.30.1 \
    netmask=24 ntp-server=216.239.35.4,216.239.35.8
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 comment=defconf name=router.lan
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment=\
    "defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=\
    established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=\
    invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
    "defconf: accept to local loopback (for CAPsMAN)" dst-address=127.0.0.1
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" \
    in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" \
    ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" \
    ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" \
    connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=\
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" \
    connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment=\
    "defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat \
    connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" \
    ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=192.168.8.1
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
/ip upnp
set enabled=yes
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Stockholm
/system ntp client
set enabled=yes primary-ntp=216.239.35.4 secondary-ntp=216.239.35.8
/system routerboard mode-button
set enabled=yes on-event=dark-mode
/tool graphing interface
add
add interface=eth1-wan
add interface=eth2-lan
add interface=wlan1
add interface=wlan2
add interface=bridge-lan
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
/tool mac-server mac-winbox

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:31 pm

You have checked channel and interference? Download WiFi analyzer and check, search online what can interfere whit wifi signal - microwave, Bluetooth, wireless mice and keyboard etc.

Private house, no other wifi -s here, microwave, BT, wireless mice or keybords are not used.

raffav

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:44 am

Private house, no other wifi -s here, microwave, BT, wireless mice or keybords are not used.
I'm seeing that you are using the cap ap as router why? Why don't you let your main router manager routing stuff and keep cap as access point?
I think that it is the problem

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:11 am

'm seeing that you are using the cap ap as router why? Why don't you let your main router manager routing stuff and keep cap as access point?
I think that it is the problem
The Cap AC -s whole idea is disable 4G router -s wifi and use is as a LAN gateway only, as it's ISP owned device and I don't want them sneaking into my local network. :)
And Cap AC, at least based specs, can be router and accespoint easily.

Anyway, as I still don't get normal speed and no fatal config issues have found, so seems the issue is Cap AC hardware related.
And this forum have a lot similar, unsolved cases, like viewtopic.php?t=113830

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:59 am

The Cap AC -s whole idea is disable 4G router -s wifi and use is as a LAN gateway only, as it's ISP owned device and I don't want them sneaking into my local network. :)
And Cap AC, at least based specs, can be router and accespoint easily.
cAP AC is basically modified hAP AC2, so it can easily also be used as edge router, VPN etc. What you want is a wireless bridge, so just reset cAP without configuration, connect to it using winbox and MAC-address, configure wireless interfaces as described before, create a bridge, put both wifi-interfaces and ethernet interface(s) into bridge, also add dhcp-client to bridge interface and that's it: your 4G edgerouter will serve DHCP, be firewall etc.
Also, have you upgraded your router's firmware? /system routerboard upgrade (this needs reboot)

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am

cAP AC is basically modified hAP AC2, so it can easily also be used as edge router, VPN etc. What you want is a wireless bridge, so just reset cAP without configuration, connect to it using winbox and MAC-address, configure wireless interfaces as described before, create a bridge, put both wifi-interfaces and ethernet interface(s) into bridge, also add dhcp-client to bridge interface and that's it: your 4G edgerouter will serve DHCP, be firewall etc.
Also, have you upgraded your router's firmware? /system routerboard upgrade (this needs reboot)
I can do this, but I don't think this will improve wifi speed (btw I had same issues with hAP AC lite, two was ap, one was router) at all. And I don't wan't from 4G router anything more than just static IP on the LAN interface.

Firmware is latest stable:
/system routerboard print
routerboard: yes
board-name: cAP ac
model: RouterBOARD cAP Gi-5acD2nD
serial-number: 81CF08D00F71
firmware-type: ipq4000L
factory-firmware: 6.41.3
current-firmware: 6.46.5
upgrade-firmware: 6.46.5

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:06 pm

Make sure that you have disabled power saving on the Intel Wifi card.

Regards
Nick

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:12 pm

I have always disabled it.

raffav

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:42 pm

I have always disabled it.
I have one and I get pretty good speeds I get 190 over 2.4 so or you was unlucky and got a faulty device or there is something very wrong in your environment try using the cap AC as a wifi bridge and see if you get the same problem

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm

I have one and I get pretty good speeds I get 190 over 2.4 so or you was unlucky and got a faulty device or there is something very wrong in your environment try using the cap AC as a wifi bridge and see if you get the same problem
Some win, some loose, Huawei 75/46, Mikrotik 19/19 Mbps down/up. :(

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:19 pm

To be sure, did so:

# apr/23/2020 18:21:34 by RouterOS 6.46.5
#
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=CC:2D:E0:D7:78:A3 auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridgeLocal
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-XX \
country=estonia disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=\
indoor mode=ap-bridge security-profile=xb ssid=xb wireless-protocol=\
802.11 wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX \
country=estonia disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=\
indoor mode=ap-bridge security-profile=xb ssid=xb wireless-protocol=\
802.11 wps-mode=disabled
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridgeLocal comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridgeLocal comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=wlan2
/interface wireless cap
set bridge=bridgeLocal discovery-interfaces=bridgeLocal interfaces=\
wlan1,wlan2
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=no interface=bridgeLocal
/system clock

Speed results added:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raffav

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 pm

try this

for 2ghz channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce
for 5G channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee
also try using Band GN instead of just N

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:34 am

try this

for 2ghz channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce
for 5G channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee
also try using Band GN instead of just N
I have tried all, no luck.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:40 pm

So when will You look into my 2,4Ghz problem?

At the moment I feel, that it's kind of typical bad habit of similar issues in Mikrotik forum - ignore, it might go away?

raffav

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:09 pm

So when will You look into my 2,4Ghz problem?

At the moment I feel, that it's kind of typical bad habit of similar issues in Mikrotik forum - ignore, it might go away?
There is no magic, we suggested some step to test and you did, so the only thing that we do not know is your Environment you said that you do not have any neighbors wifi that may cause interference.. so you may have a faulty device.

Let
Connect your phone or your pc/laptop to wifi on cap ac
open winbox go to
wireless> registration> find your client and double click to open a new windows go to statistic tab and past that the window here

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:43 am

Let
open winbox go to
wireless> registration> find your client and double click to open a new windows go to statistic tab and past that the window here
Here:

Tx Rate 52Mbps-20MHz/1S
Rx Rate 43.3Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI
Tx/Rx Packets 36 947/11 011
Tx/Rx Bytes 48.1 MiB/1100.5 KiB
Tx/Rx Frames 36 947/11 016
Tx/Rx Frame Bytes 48.2 MiB/1036.6 KiB
Tx/Rx Hw. Frames 47 607/11 867
Tx/Rx Hw. Frame Bytes 62.5 MiB/1490.8 KiB

This is stats from Android, I also noticed, that sometimes PC get's better speed, so is there any hints for Mikrotik Android related config?

raffav

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:27 pm

This is stats from Android, I also noticed, that sometimes PC get's better speed, so is there any hints for Mikrotik Android related config?
Could be, I just made a test on my motorola using 2.4g and I got an avg 40-50 mb DOWN/UP also my tx&rx status are similar
tx-rate="72.2Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI"
rx-rate="72.2Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI"
tx-rate-set="OFDM:12-54 BW:1x SGI:1x HT:0-7"
I'm not specialist but I guess that maybe the issue is that mikrotik device have some slow speed using single stream,
the below stats is using a USB tplink wireless adapter that have Dual stream I get get up to 200 on 2.4G
tx-rate="240Mbps-40MHz/2S/SGI"
rx-rate="300Mbps-40MHz/2S/SGI"
tx-rate-set="OFDM:12-54 BW:1x-2x SGI:1x-2x HT:0-15"

viesturs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Does the issue appear with all clients or just one specific one?
If you use the channel width to 20MHz and set the data rates to default what is the throughput then?
If you change the frequency is there any improvements?
Please upgrade the firmware in the RouterOS to the latest 6.46.5 with the command shown below:
/system routerbord upgrade

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:58 am

Does the issue appear with all clients or just one specific one?
If you use the channel width to 20MHz and set the data rates to default what is the throughput then?
If you change the frequency is there any improvements?
Please upgrade the firmware in the RouterOS to the latest 6.46.5 with the command shown below:
/system routerbord upgrade
At the moment seems, that Android (stock Oreo) is worst (however, others (osx/win do get about 30% less throughput than with Huawei, and mostly in download, not upload), I have tried with default data rates and with 20Mhz channel, but I can't better throughput. And the firmware is latest stable.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 am

ksuuk,

can you use "Net Analyzer" (or similar app) on your android phone and report results?
Take measure at the place you want to put your CAP device as well as where the Huawei is and where the
Intel client is.

I have lot of wireless devices from Mtik. I would agree they don't offer best in class nor latest and greatest wireless
performance/features (but that is mainly in 5Ghz with missing Wave 2 features). In 2.4G Mtik do a pretty good job specially
with great range and performance in N mode!

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Did you also do Huawei/MT comparison with your Android? Did you do speedtest with ISPs endpoint? There's no magic in access points and Mikrotik's speeds for me have been quite logical and approachable. What many people don't know is that most of the time culprit for slow speeds is client device's WiFi capabilities. Mobile device vendors do not want to expose their Wifi specs, but the situation is that even with priciest iPhones and latest lower end Macbook Pros you get only 2-chain Wifi. 90% of the wireless devices today are 1- or 2-chain, it's mostly enough for router to be 2-chain.

Basic logic for wireless is that speed comes from number of chains supported by client device, channel width and also MCS number based on signal quality. For macOS and Win10 there's easy to also get the MCS index for your connection.

Please, connect to the MT router and check Wireless -> Registration table, where you can see all the connected devices and RX/TX rates for them. As you posted: 52Mbps-20MHz/1S tells it's a 1 chain device with 20MHz connection connected to Wifi at 52Mbps. Max speed for 1-chain device in 802.11N 20MHz channel is 65Mbps, while with 2-chain 20MHz can go to 144Mbps. Wifi overhead is about 30%, so realistic speed for your Android device on 2.4GHz should be 35-40Mbps. Read and table for thought: https://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

For 802.11ac 2-chain you also have in cAP AC max speed is 867Mbps, so real speed 600Mbps and 40-50MB/sec is real speeds I see when using intranet file server.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Did you also do Huawei/MT comparison with your Android? Did you do speedtest with ISPs endpoint?
Yes, the speedtest screenshots in my post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=160252&p=789134#p788078 are taken at the same time, from same Android, about at same distance (about 3-5 m from Huawei/Mikrotik).

As You see, the difference is huge.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 am

ksuuk,

can you use "Net Analyzer" (or similar app) on your android phone and report results?
Take measure at the place you want to put your CAP device as well as where the Huawei is and where the
Intel client is.
Well, Mikrotk is already in the fixed place and I disabled Huawei -s wifi is disabled (keeping it as 4G > LAN router only) and Mikrotik does the rest. Like I said, I'm Mikrotik -s wifi performance is dissapointing, and based Google/here, I'm not the only one. So I either find some other vendor powerful AP and keeping Mikrotik as LAN router only or sell it (hard to believe that anyone want to buy it) and use old RB750GL as LAN router.

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 02, 2020 11:23 am

You want to find a solution or just brag? It's not even clear yet if the problem is consistent (=Mikrotik) or a case with your 1-chain Android device. To continue on a right lane, what does Wireless -> Registration show for your Android's RX/TX rates. Have you tested the same WiFi from the same spot with some other device?

Why is this line here when you only want wireless bridge?

/interface wireless cap set bridge=bridgeLocal discovery-interfaces=bridgeLocal interfaces=\
wlan1,wlan2

You can also try this. It's has shown good results on over-crowded places:
/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode
/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 1:10 pm

You want to find a solution or just brag? It's not even clear yet if the problem is consistent (=Mikrotik) or a case with your 1-chain Android device. To continue on a right lane, what does Wireless -> Registration show for your Android's RX/TX rates. Have you tested the same WiFi from the same spot with some other device?
My post was kind of warning for others, also, user "normis", as "MikroTik Support" remained silent, so based this I think there is no solution.

I tried different Apple devices (ipad/iphone/ios 9,10,12.13, osx 10.13), different Lenovo computers (win7win10 X, T series), Playstation etc. They all get about 30% of Huawei -s speed. So clearly, the SPOF is Mikrotik, no doubt about that.
Why is this line here when you only want wireless bridge?

/interface wireless cap set bridge=bridgeLocal discovery-interfaces=bridgeLocal interfaces=\
wlan1,wlan2
It was added by default config (when I made Your suggested AP only test) and it is not used in current config.
You can also try this. It's has shown good results on over-crowded places:
/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode
/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode
Private house, no other wifi -s here and also no other wifi reach here, less then 10 local users, I'd say it's not so crowded place at all. And yes, I did read about this setting ( for example - http://gregsowell.com/?p=3129 ) and I tried all these options, and without any improvement seen, left it to none. However, enabled it as You suggested and no difference in speed.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 12:30 am

If anyone is still interested, I had some free time today, so I got one of my cAP acs off the shelf and did some tests.

The device was updated to 6.46.6, configuration was reset, then I configured it as an AP (not router) and ran some tests.

I am consistently getting about 90/90 on my mobile and about 60/80 on my laptop over 2GHz wireless. Both speedtest.net and iperf2.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 03, 2020 1:15 am

I tested hap ac2 (they are almost the same unit) speeds on Thursday, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz speeds in CAP mode. On 2.4ghz whit 2S device I can get 100mbps, whit 1S device 50mbps using iperf3 local test. Those speeds are what they should be. Only in 5ghz I can't get max speeds as I should, but results are not bad, whit 1S device I can get 250mbps (I should get 300mbps).

raffav

Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 am

There definitely some kind of problem with the OP CAP ac or either some incompatibility with his mobile device, he prove already that with this 4G router is getting the max speed(4G) so..... there is no problem with crowed or interference....

@ksuuk I think you should request an RMA on CAP ac

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 03, 2020 1:29 am

ksuuk, don’t rush with sharing suggestions before fully understanding the situation. Last test: take the cAP AC to some other connection and try out there to rule out your edge router’s jam.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 03, 2020 1:26 pm

ksuuk, don’t rush with sharing suggestions before fully understanding the situation. Last test: take the cAP AC to some other connection and try out there to rule out your edge router’s jam.
I agree on test in different network.

I had similar speeds on hap (just hap, no ac2 or something). As I kept learning networks and configuring Mikrotiks I did get on 2S device 100mbps speeds (rate 144) at work. Mikrotiks have a learning curve. (Bdw I have no idea what solved speed issue in my configs)

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 am

I don't get the test idea, as I have no issues with LAN or Huawei, as edge router. You see, Mikrotik eth1 is connected with LAN > Huawei 4G router, Mikrotik eth2 is connected to 10/100/1000 switch and when using computer LAN > switch > Mikrotik > Huawei or computer LAN > switch > Huawei, there is no speed difference, so LAN is OK true Mikrotik. But when using computer WiFi > Mikrotik > 4G or computer WiFi > Huawei, there is speed difference. And very weird, I also noticed, that quite often Mikrotik -s Wifi upload speed is even better, than download speed, but link is free, and I'm the only user.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 04, 2020 12:03 pm

but link is free, and I'm the only user.
It's wireless. I.e. it uses shared medium and is pretty susceptible to interference. So, you never know when it is really free...

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 12:23 pm

It's wireless. I.e. it uses shared medium and is pretty susceptible to interference. So, you never know when it is really free...
Sure in crowded place, but if I'm the only user, this can't be happening. And the real question is, why is this happening with Mikrotik only and not with Buffalo, Engenius or Huawei (I'm testing them as single device only, so air is clear)? I also found, that other Mikrtotik users have noticed similar situations, when either TX is OK and RX is NOK or vice versa. It sounds like some internal shared resource issue, however CPU usage is 99% time 1%, max peak is 5%.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Faulty unit, perhaps.
I have two, tested one (see results above), works as expected. My environment is moderately crowded.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm

You use on WLAN 1 (2.4G) preamble "SHORT"!
I have always had issues when doing that and thus never use it. I always keep it on "both".

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 10:27 am

You use on WLAN 1 (2.4G) preamble "SHORT"!
I have always had issues when doing that and thus never use it. I always keep it on "both".
As far I know, "long" is needed for B (which I don't use), and others are using only "short", but just in case Idid set it to "both" now.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 am

Wrong. For good (and needed) interop you must use both, specially in 2.4Ghz.
many products (specially IOT devices far away from AP) will use low modualtion and need long preamble.

Now if you say you only want to use N mode and no other device will connect you can use short.
But then you will see either "good" or "no" connection.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 am

Let
open winbox go to
Here:

Tx Rate 52Mbps-20MHz/1S
Rx Rate 43.3Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI
Tx/Rx Packets 36 947/11 011
Tx/Rx Bytes 48.1 MiB/1100.5 KiB
Tx/Rx Frames 36 947/11 016
Tx/Rx Frame Bytes 48.2 MiB/1036.6 KiB
Tx/Rx Hw. Frames 47 607/11 867
Tx/Rx Hw. Frame Bytes 62.5 MiB/1490.8 KiB

Back to basics ....

- please give the full registration information also. (Send/receive signal strength etc) , the connection information is already here, it's not optimal

43.3Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI :
43.3 Mbps : that's MCS4 only
20MHz only. You expected 40 MHz. One of the 2 ends can be limited or configured for 20 MHz. Or any other device can be sending the "40 MHz kill bit".
1S : single stream. cAP can do 2S , but device does 1S, or the connection has too much reflections (or is even too strong??) to use 2S
SGI: short guard is OK

52Mbps-20MHz/1S
52Mbps: that's MCS5 only
20 MHz : see previous
1S: idem
no SGI: using LONG guard (= slower)

- Short guard only setting can give problems for Apple devices

-Looking at the status information, there are quite some retransmits
Tx/Rx Frames 36 947/11 016 versus Tx/Rx Hw. Frames 47 607/11 867
This is not only waste of air-time, and the corresponding throughput reduction, but forces the wifi devices to reduce the MCS rate selected and use Long guard if needed.
Would also drop the 2S if that was a possible connection
CCQ will be low in the status. Poor signal quality.

Caused by ??? That's the challenge.
- check reflections on metallic surfaces and walls/ceiling
- nearby electronic transmitters or other electronic equipment
- antenna hardware (even powered off)
- too strong signal (antenna gain=0, no_country_set .... is way too strong)

You may be the only user, but it's about devices. Only trust measurements! Mikrotik "Freq Usage", "Scan", and certainly "Snooper" are great tools to check.
Even " /interface wireless> spectral-history" or " /interface wireless> spectral-scan" might learn us something.

Speed table: http://mcsindex.com/
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Well, it's a simple accesspoint, it should work OK with default settings and even better when tuned, but for it won't work either way.
About - "too strong signal (antenna gain=0, no_country_set .... is way too strong)", OK tested with default/gain 2, it went ever worse.
Again, I'm the only wifi user at the moment, there is no other wifi networks, wireless mouses, keyboards etc:

Tx Rate 57.7Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI
Rx Rate 65Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI
Tx/Rx Packets 293/412
Tx/Rx Bytes 57.6 KiB/380.4 KiB
Tx/Rx Frames 293/414
Tx/Rx Frame Bytes 58.1 KiB/378.2 KiB
Tx/Rx Hw. Frames 947/746
Tx/Rx Hw. Frame Bytes 491.1 KiB/407.8 KiB

Can't make spectral scan either:

/interface wireless> spectral-scan wlan1
failure: this device can not do spectral scan

/interface wireless> spectral-scan wlan2

Lan and wifi (5m from accesspoint) speedtests attached:

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Made on more test - I put the phone on the router, so 0 distance:

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Made on more test - I put the phone on the router, so 0 distance:
Perfect throughput for the interface rates given.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 2:11 pm

But when I switch on Huawei (located some 8 m away, on the second floor, behind many wall -s) -s wifi, I'm getting with same phone almost lan speed?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 2:16 pm

Well, it's a simple accesspoint, it should work OK with default settings and even better when tuned, but for it won't work either way.
About - "too strong signal (antenna gain=0, no_country_set .... is way too strong)", OK tested with default/gain 2, it went ever worse.
Again, I'm the only wifi user at the moment, there is no other wifi networks, wireless mouses, keyboards etc:

Tx Rate 57.7Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI
Rx Rate 65Mbps-20MHz/1S/SGI
Tx/Rx Packets 293/412
Tx/Rx Bytes 57.6 KiB/380.4 KiB
Tx/Rx Frames 293/414
Tx/Rx Frame Bytes 58.1 KiB/378.2 KiB
Tx/Rx Hw. Frames 947/746
Tx/Rx Hw. Frame Bytes 491.1 KiB/407.8 KiB

Can't make spectral scan either:

/interface wireless> spectral-scan wlan1

/interface wireless> spectral-scan wlan2

Lan and wifi (5m from accesspoint) speedtests attached:
Horrible retransmit numbers, but before any real traffic

You are right, this chip does not do spectral scan. (Never tried this one :-) ) . But the other 3 should be very interesting (freq usage, scan, snooper)
E.G. Your Huawei may still be active as AP . If you prefer CLI .... /interface wireless snooper flat-snoop
GUI for Snooper is easier to follow

If signal is good so close, then the directional characteristic of the cAP can be of influence. (Supposed to radiate down from the ceiling)

What is the registration telling about the signal strength? It will report both AP and client.
You need -73dBm or higher for the highest speed https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/cAP_ac-180131104219.pdf
Rate (2.4 GHz) Tx Rx (power)
1MBit/s 26 -100
11MBit/s 26 -94
6MBit/s 26 -96
54MBit/s 23 -78
MCS0 26 -96
MCS7 22 -73 <----

Voltage level OK in the cAp ac ???

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 2:24 pm

But when I switch on Huawei (located some 8 m away, on the second floor, behind many wall -s) -s wifi, I'm getting with same phone almost lan speed?
You can never get higher than what is in the MCS index table (theoretical maximum). Normally the throughput is 60% to 85% of that interface rate.
Wifi is also half-duplex. LAN is full duplex.

Maybe you get single stream because both chains are not enabled in HT.
Or the signal is disturbed by its own reflections if not on top of the cAP.
Lower transmit power is with antenna gain on 10dBi (7 dBm lower than the 5 GHz is a common setting)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Yes
#
/interface ethernet
/interface bridge
/interface list
/interface wireless
    wps-mode=disabled
/ip pool
/ip dhcp-server
    name=dhcp-server
/interface bridge port
/interface list member
/ip address
/ip dhcp-client
/ip dhcp-server network
/ip dns
/ip dns static
/ip firewall filter
    invalid
    in-interface-list=!LAN
    ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
    ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
    connection-state=invalid
/ip firewall nat
/ip route
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
/ip upnp
set enabled=yes
/system clock
/system ntp client
/tool graphing interface
add
add interface=eth1-wan
add interface=eth2-lan
add interface=wlan1
add interface=wlan2
add interface=bridge-lan
/tool mac-server
WLAN1, 2.4 GHz, only 20 MHz bandwidth set. Max rate according to MCSindex 72.2Mbps for single stream, 144.4Mbps for dual spatial stream.
20MHz is OK for 2.4GHz band, but maybe Huawei is on 40MHz.
Only one stream used has been reported.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 2:47 pm

MCS7 22 -73 <----

Voltage level OK in the cAp ac ???
Seems this chip does not give any system health information either:

/system health> print

/system health> export
# may/05/2020 13:39:58 by RouterOS 6.46.6
#

/system resource> print
uptime: 2d50m22s
version: 6.46.6 (testing)
build-time: Apr/27/2020 10:32:16
factory-software: 6.41.3
free-memory: 192.1MiB
total-memory: 256.0MiB
cpu: ARMv7
cpu-count: 4
cpu-frequency: 716MHz
cpu-load: 0%
free-hdd-space: 1828.0KiB
total-hdd-space: 15.3MiB
write-sect-since-reboot: 94965
write-sect-total: 98816
bad-blocks: 0%
architecture-name: arm
board-name: cAP ac
platform: MikroTik

BTW, when I used frequency-monitor, only Mikrotik himself was visible, but I will test more.

santyx32
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 06, 2020 5:00 pm

Use AMSDU Limit/Threshold 2048, no multicast buffering, no keep-alive, no WPS, WPA2 AES only, 802.11 bgn mode, no noise immunity, choose the least used channel and you'll be able to get at least 80 Mbps using a 2x2 client in 20mhz mode. If your client is 1x1 only don't expect more than 45 Mbps.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 5:52 pm

Use AMSDU Limit/Threshold 2048, no multicast buffering, no keep-alive, no WPS, WPA2 AES only, 802.11 bgn mode, no noise immunity, choose the least used channel and you'll be able to get at least 80 Mbps using a 2x2 client in 20mhz mode. If your client is 1x1 only don't expect more than 45 Mbps.
I already use same settings, except 802.11 G/N and still the main question is - why for example Android, even placed on the router, gets only 30-50% speed (and upload is mostly better, then download) of stock Huawei, which is located 8-10 m away behind many walls.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 6:02 pm

I already use same settings, except 802.11 G/N and still the main question is - why for example Android, even placed on the router, gets only 30-50% speed (and upload is mostly better, then download) of stock Huawei, which is located 8-10 m away behind many walls.
android on top of cap gets 100% of what is possible with 1x1 20 MHz channel. Your Huawei probably is on 40 MHz . Why did you not correct the cap bandwidth setting ???? And you did not check the received signal strenght in the cap. Measure and adjust, instead of some blind tests that you just keep repeating.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 6:07 pm

Yes
#
/interface ethernet
/interface bridge
/interface list
/interface wireless
    wps-mode=disabled
/ip pool
/ip dhcp-server
    name=dhcp-server
/interface bridge port
/interface list member
/ip address
/ip dhcp-client
/ip dhcp-server network
/ip dns
/ip dns static
/ip firewall filter
    invalid
    in-interface-list=!LAN
    ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
    ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
    connection-state=invalid
/ip firewall nat
/ip route
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
/ip upnp
set enabled=yes
/system clock
/system ntp client
/tool graphing interface
add
add interface=eth1-wan
add interface=eth2-lan
add interface=wlan1
add interface=wlan2
add interface=bridge-lan
/tool mac-server
WLAN1, 2.4 GHz, only 20 MHz bandwidth set. Max rate according to MCSindex 72.2Mbps for single stream, 144.4Mbps for dual spatial stream.
20MHz is OK for 2.4GHz band, but maybe Huawei is on 40MHz.
Only one stream used has been reported.
Correct this to 40 MHz (your config setting is limiting!) or check at least what the Huawei is using. It can even be that you use 5GHz without knowing !
You know that the signal quality of the cAP in that room is very bad (low CCQ, many retransmits). Did you reduce the TX power in the cAP already?
Or placed the cAP in another spot.

Just be fair, and show the wireless registration information.
Klembord-2.jpg
Is this speed measurement for the cAP passing through the Huawei? Would be unfair, you would be including the delay and possible bottleneck of the Huawei. Measuring towrds internet is also not a good idea. Too many players involved. Ookla speetest is not a simple thing, it adjusts. Speed over internet varies with time.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 6:43 pm

Agreed, except for the b mode. After only using channel 1-6-11 as first best practice , the next thing to do is get rid of the b mode. It's extremely slow, has 22 MHz wide channels, and forces the use of 1 Mbps for beacons. Having one b device active in the neighborhood will force g and n modes to adapt to be compatible with b for air-time coordination.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Correct this to 40 MHz (your config setting is limiting!) or check at least what the Huawei is using. It can even be that you use 5GHz without knowing !
You know that the signal quality of the cAP in that room is very bad (low CCQ, many retransmits). Did you reduce the TX power in the cAP already?
Using 20/40MHz now, reducing TX power makes it even worst, I can't put CAP it into other place and the place if fine, before there was Buffalo and coverage and speed was the max what G could provide, and yes Huawei uses also 40MHz, but it's wifi is totally disabled at the moment.

Anyway, I'm glad that a lot of people tried to help me with their suggestions, but it's difficult to choose, if one say's disable 20/40MHz and use only 20MHz , other say's disable 20MHz and use 20/40MHz, one say's use use and other say's don't use noise immunity etc.

It's like were are making gold, but support knows that we are just a bunch of alchemists. :)

Used also other speedtest - https://speed.rimon.net.il/ check the results and guess which is wifi and which is lan:

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 10:10 pm

Anyway, I'm glad that a lot of people tried to help me with their suggestions, but it's difficult to choose, if one say's disable 20/40MHz and use only 20MHz , other say's disable 20MHz and use 20/40MHz, one say's use use and other say's don't use noise immunity etc.

It's like were are making gold, but support knows that we are just a bunch of alchemists. :)
You can try to make gold by following a lot of recipes, but never get to it. Or you can go back to the basics of chemistry and do systematic steps.
You are still bringing chemical components together to find the right combination but refuges to use the scale to opjectively measure the quantities used and know what you are doing.
You can search forever. The measurements are as close as just looking at the "registration" in the Mikrotik. It will tell you where the bottleneck is.

Basics are in this document: http://divdyn.com/docs/2.4-GHz-is-Dead-v1.00.pdf
It's simple. You only have 3 channels, 20 MHz wide. If you use 40 MHz wide channels then you must be alone there, or you will have interference.
You must scan to see if it is safe to use 40 MHz and select the right channel. ("auto" channel select is almost always wrong!)
The Huawei does use 40 MHz and seems to be lucky, and so will be double as fast as the cAP which is set fixed at 20 MHz.
There is even no room for 2 wide channels in the spectrum. The Huawei actually blocks almost all other possible 2.4 GHz wifi. The 2.4 GHz interference goes extremely far and through walls.
The only way out is to set Huawei and cAP manually on the same channels (1+6) or (6+11). They will coexist and share the air-time. "auto" is no option here.
Other things about 2.4 GHz is self-interference. The signal bounces off the walls and objects and interferes with itself.
This depends on the position and direction of the AP and objects and the used (built in) antennas.

Doing "internet speed tests" will not help you to find 'where' is the bottleneck that should be remediated.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 10:45 pm

You can try to make gold by following a lot of recipes, but never get to it. Or you can go back to the basics of chemistry and do systematic steps.
You are still bringing chemical components together to find the right combination but refuges to use the scale to opjectively measure the quantities used and know what you are doing.
You can search forever. The measurements are as close as just looking at the "registration" in the Mikrotik. It will tell you where the bottleneck is.
You can blame me, that I don't know how to set it up, but again, access point should work out of the box and some fine tuning (like choosing the channel etc) is nice to have, but not mandatory. It's easy to blame the stupid end user, but based Google, there are a lot of them, so are they all stupid or the product is bad?
I have tuned Mikrotik as much I can, so there is nothing more to do. I also discussed with one local MT dealer, who have sold&set up Mikrotik for years and I suggested, that let's make trade in for better device, he wasn't interested, I guess, he knows, that nobody want's it. :(

As my goal is use Huawei as 4G > LAN router only, so for WiFi I need something else, but even if I don't like Huawei products, I'm seriously impressed, how such cheap 4G router can provide such good WiFi.

Some suggested TP-Link EAP225, bur maybe it's time to take a bigger jump and go for WiFi6 router, like Huawei AX3. I'll bet they all work out of the box...

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 pm

Sure in crowded place, but if I'm the only user, this can't be happening. And the real question is, why is this happening with Mikrotik only and not with Buffalo, Engenius or Huawei (I'm testing them as single device only, so air is clear)? I also found, that other Mikrtotik users have noticed similar situations, when either TX is OK and RX is NOK or vice versa. It sounds like some internal shared resource issue, however CPU usage is 99% time 1%, max peak is 5%.
And then all tests are done with frequency selection on "auto". This means totally unknown conditions! Fix your frequency band selection if you want to compare with another device. You are alone? It's not about users, it's about devices. And the client devices are as important as AP's. Not to mention non-wifi devices.
The only method is to have things checked. The request for your "freq usage", "snooper" and repeatedly "registration" information have not been answered. Don't just give some "registration" values, but ALL of them.
Klembord-2.jpg
With the very bad CCQ you have if you are a few meters away from the cAP, is an indication the cAP is on a bad channel for your environment. (And your Huawei is lucky to be on a good channel).

And tweaking nv2 parameters here in this setup after 7 years of Mikrotik experience ???
If have no problems getting the full theoretical speed from hAp ac Lite and hAp ac2 (the twin sister of the cAp ac)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 pm

You can blame me, that I don't know how to set it up, but again, access point should work out of the box and some fine tuning (like choosing the channel etc) is nice to have, but not mandatory. It's easy to blame the stupid end user, but based Google, there are a lot of them, so are they all stupid or the product is bad?
I have tuned Mikrotik as much I can, so there is nothing more to do. I also discussed with one local MT dealer, who have sold&set up Mikrotik for years and I suggested, that let's make trade in for better device, he wasn't interested, I guess, he knows, that nobody want's it. :(

No it's not working out-of-the-box. Other brand devices are sold for a dedicated purpose (homeAp, repeater), and the possibilities are very limited.. A Mikrotik is a swiss knife, and is almost never OK out of the box (Frequencies are set for FCC only etc etc). It needs some very specific tuning. And I agree, Mikrotik seems not to have the technical writers to give that information.

The "auto" frequency screws it, in Mikrotik, and also in those stupid other brand boxes, like my neighbors have.(They are even set on channel 3 and 5 and 7 in 2.4 GHz band, bands set by the larger national ISP provider. ) In the Netherlands they even sell them set 18 dBm above the legal limit, to be sure you disturb everyone km/miles away.

Mikrotik devices are great tools, but they DO NOT WORK OUT OF THE BOX in an optimal way, not even after using Quickset.
Don't stay on "auto" frequency! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=157192

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 07, 2020 9:49 pm

While claiming the Mikrotik should work "out of the box" , very important parameters are changed away from standards and away from best practices.

The modified parameters are manual TX power, antenna gain, Data rates (both supported rates and basic rates).
One can set Basic rates and Supported rates , if you know what you are doing.
Without basic rates how will management packets be exchanged? At what speed? The client will be confused because it needs to know the supported and basic rates from the AP. The AP will be in an unknown state. At what speed will it send out the beacons?

Knowing what you are doing: "You should set 6, 12 and 24 Mbps as basic rates (or 12 and 24 Mpbs if you have disabled 6 Mpbs)."
read: https://metis.fi/en/2018/09/rates/

Set transmit power to "default", not to manual TX power. Or you must stay below the transmit power for the highest speed, which is lower than the maximum.
Antenna gain is the tuning parameter to use , with default transmit power.
Antenna gain of 0 (zero) will set the TX power too high for this device.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... s_unstable
What TX-power values can I use?
The tx-power default setting is the maximum tx-power that the card can use and is taken from the cards eeprom. If you want to use larger tx-power values, you are able to set them, but do it at your own risk, as it will probably damage your card eventually! Usually, one should use this parameter only to reduce the tx-power.

In general, tx-power controlling properties should be left at the default settings. Changing the default setting may help with some cards in some situations, but without testing, the most common result is the degradation of range and throughput. Some of the problems that may occur are:

overheating of the power amplifier chip and the card which will cause lower efficiency and more data errors;
overdriving the amplifier which will cause more data errors;
excessive power usage for the card and this may overload the 3.3V power supply of the board that the card is located on resulting in voltage drop and reboot or excessive temperatures for the board.

ksuuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Epilogue

Forum is full off feature requests and WiFi issues. Support avoids them. Year is 2020 and still no band steering, beacon interval, delivery traffic indication message etc. I guess no WiFi6 either or not at least in next 10 years or so. Hardware is getting worst. What's the point of using WiFi device chipset which doesn't support spectral tools?

Mikrotik is universal tool, which makes everything somehow, but nothing perfect. Let's faced the hard truth, bleaching a donkey will never make it a white horse.

I rest my case.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Just a couple of messages above you said you are not an expert in wireless and complained that WiFi does not work as expected out of the box. And now you complain about advanced configuration options no being available. Are you just trolling?

Edit:
PS. And, by the way, band steering is an ugly hack, not a standard feature of any 802.11 standards.

whatever

Fri May 08, 2020 2:50 pm

PS. And, by the way, band steering is an ugly hack, not a standard feature of any 802.11 standards.
Doesn't 802.11v allow band steering without hacks?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2020 5:53 pm

Epilogue

Let's faced the hard truth, bleaching a donkey will never make it a white horse.

I rest my case.
Skipping the first and most elementary and necessary step in all deployments of wif installations, will never be corrected by the many advanced fine tuning steps, that actually can only be done in a systematic way, based on that first step.(The second step is about checking ALL registration counters)

That first step is check your environment for other transmiited radiation in the same frequency spectrum. It is quite common to have people claim there is no other transmitter, to see in measurements very strong transmitters closeby. Be it the Google assistant Nest thermostat, wireless doorbell, IP camera, Google chromecast dongle, Smart TV, babyphone, smoke detector, ... you discover only by measuring. (Oh, and in this list they are all AP's, transmitting every 100ms, Snooper also finds the non-AP devices.)

This installation here clearly suffers from interference (be it self-interference or coming from elsewhere, or just a resonance in a metal tube that acts as an antenna). 3 meters away and the retransmits are 30% and the CCQ is accordingly. No such problem when (too) close to the AP. This is the only hint we get, but even that is enough to make interference the first suspect.

What does is help to shift gears like a pro,in the hope to win the race, if you did not switch on the engine

And to the feeling that the suggestions are random and contradicting like alchemists making gold: the suggestions are valuable if the conditions are right for them. They will have a very negative impact if the conditions are not right. Without the step one and step two information, no one can know.

Is turning up TX power an improvement. Sometimes yes, sometimes no (it creates more distortion and can overrun the receiver)
Is reducing the power an improvement. Sometimes clearly yes, but if the conditions are not right it will be a disaster.
Is 40 MHz bandwidth better than 20 MHz. Yes , sometimes. If it introduces interference absolutely no.
Is 20 MHz bandwidth better than 40. Yes if it avoids interference, but halves the throughput.
Is removing the lower rates an improvement? In some rare occasions yes. If there is interference of any kind it will be a total disaster. Wifi will not slow down until it works, even in that difficult split second, but will FAIL. Wifi normally never fails, until handicapped by some tweaks. The end result will be worse than the lower rate.
Is RTS/CTS better. Yes it is. But it will certainly add some overhead. So, not to be used if not needed. If there are "hidden nodes" it is important to use it.
Is limiting the guard time to short better. See removing lower rates. The fallback for wifi is taken away again, wifi will fail when it needs it.
etc etc etc etc

So all suggestions are good for better performance if the conditions are right. They are destructive if they are used without the right conditions.
Are there any suggestions that will always improve? No. If they existed, they where in the default config.already.

From the very sporadic information:
The current setup will work somewhat better in very clean conditions. It will fail in an environment with interference, and in that case it will even be worse than untweaked out-of-the-box. The outcome is unpredictable, and tests may give varying results, as the "auto" frequency selection is yet another variable over time.

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 09, 2020 4:36 pm

ksuuk, some pictures for you. cAP AC in wireless bridge mode, installed into ceiling of a room in a private house, no nearby wireless networks. All client devices situated ~5m from the router: iPhone11 (23:87), Lenovo T440p laptop(F7:D6) and old Samsung phone with Android 5.1.1 from 2016(F2:CC): https://imgur.com/a/S9YkqYW
Check the registration rates, I won't post speedtest results bc I don't need much speed here, only TeliaTV (removed VLAN4 configuration) and browsing. First picture: both radios enabled, second picuture: only 2.4GHz enabled. Simple everything auto wireless bridge configuration as I suggested you in the beginning. Works like a charm.

/interface bridge
add comment=defconf name=bridge \
    protocol-mode=none
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk disable-pmkid=yes eap-methods="" mode=\
    dynamic-keys name=turva1 supplicant-identity=MikroTik \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=XXXXXXXXX
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode \
    band=2ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-XX country=estonia disabled=no \
    distance=indoors frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge security-profile=turva1 \